college??

No use if every lift is boarded lol, silly i think. If its not broken dont fix it sort of thing. Cant go wrong with single bay bracing.

Heres a question for all the TG:20 buffs , the theory behind the sway passing through 2 bays ( as i read it) is to brace from one pair of braced standards to another thus forming a braced box , so a swivel on the middle standard does not come into the calculation but i would always put one just for neatness,

Taking the above into consideration is it acceptable when using double arms (bones ) to pass the sway through one bay ?

its getting laughable now,why leave the swivel out???as phillio says get it up the way we always do.

its all a waste of fukcing time and money taking the p1ss and changing the goalposts,
not one job erected to bs5973 failed and then they start all this sh1te;

PS what is a scarf:nuts::nuts::nuts:

i just cant see where the debate is here they want it over 3number standards pazaz tube 3swivels,they cant even decide on this lets hope the fcking brace is through 50mm either end too.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

ps jakdan thats a couple of thanks av gave you lately mate youve had a few funny posts keep em up.

am just going to check many yous got maybe stick a couple plan braces on while am at it too.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

getting close now m8.

WTF's all this ***** about leaving out sway brace swivs and node points

alternatives, fix sway brace to log fixed withGKN Mills 90
fix sway brace to aberdeen tran
fix sway brace to log fixed with SGB hook

why dont the citb tell the youngins the alternatives all of the above can be fixed at node points at 45 degrees

its all a waste of fukcing time and money taking the p1ss and changing the goalposts,
not one job erected to bs5973 failed and then they start all this sh1te;

PS what is a scarf:nuts::nuts::nuts:

A tube ready to be hemped mate

One bay bracing looks better, if you ask me, as well as being easier to erect.

Nothing seems more unsafe, then leaning out over a busy street, with a 21ft tube and trying to manoeuvre it into place.

Even them, what job does a sway brace do, apart from help you level your standards - left to right?
I cant see what else it would be used for, so having massive tubes covering 2 lifts seems kinda overkill, to me.

To level standards left to right and add strength to stop swaying.
1 every 6 bays
I'm sure I read sway braces were to be over 2 bays or brace over 1 bay like normal but plan brace under working lift !!!?
Can anyone confirm ?

1 every 6 bays and plan brace every 4 m vertically every 12 bays horizontally

Sorry that should have said under top lift not working lift.

Scaffcon (or anyone else) - re above
Really ? Is that legislation ?
I've not seen any plan bracing on any independents up here on streets. And mostly I've got to say no sway brace every 6th bay. It all seems to be going up same as it ever was.

Not legislation mate, its what the code of practice says TG20:08.

alls fine until something goes wrong, then when in court they would ask you why it wasnt erected to the current guidance (ACOP), thats when the **** hits the fan!

The plan brace is to compensate should you decide to put your sways in single bay. The tie pattern, height, sheeted, debris netted and even window openings all have an effect on whether you need plan or not.

Coming in a bit late on this one,always thought sways over 2 bays was the norm,tho a lot of lads on here prefer single bay Is there a calc,showing which is the most effective?

So if I'm erecting an independent (not design) and I put sway across 2 bays every 6th bay. Standard tie pattern. I would not need plan bracing ?
But if I choose to brace across 1 bay I have to put a plan brace in basically under 2nd lift then 1 every 12th bay ? Every 2 lifts
Is that right ? What about under returns ?
Cheers

Last edited:
The Cads system is brilliant for clearing up these wee mysteries. They are both as effective for sway but they now just want it between braced frames, theoretically from what I understand you could brace two standards in a row and box it off with a single bay sway. The plan transfers the assumed load from an unbraced standard on to one that is.

FFS, I'm confusing myself now.:eek:

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

So if I'm erecting an independent (not design) and I put sway across 2 bays every 6th bay. Standard tie pattern. I would not need plan bracing ?
But if I choose to brace across 1 bay I have to put a plan brace in basically under 2nd lift then 1 every 12th bay ? Every 2 lifts
Is that right ? What about under returns ?
Cheers

That's how I understand it Zoetsy. The return is counted as a tie so doesn't need anything.

Times like this I miss Mr Ken Cain.

Top Bottom