college??

davidhodges

Reaction score
Hi to all you, a few of the lads came back from college this week and have told us that they are teaching them to only put a swivel on each end of a sway and forget about the middle standards? Obviously the middle bows and looks ****! Can anyone think why they may be teaching this?

Alright boys the reason they teach this is because if the sway brace ( the middle) is not whithin 300 mm of the node point so it is regardless as useless!

does a brace not have to be stiffened if it is excess of 3 metres?

Unsure about that 1 scaffcon.. I do no that they are teaching the lads to try and run your bracing through 2 lifts now, where poss...!

run through 2 lifts. This is going back to old school scaffolding, bring it on!

i got taught that at the end of 2008.
If it goes through 2 lift you should be around the node point aslong as your bays and lift heights are square and dont exceed sommat like 2m ha ha!

As for the unstiffened length (nudge nudge wink wink saucy) plan braces and rakers cant exceed 3m so i reckon the wind braces shouldnt???

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

run through 2 lifts. This is going back to old school scaffolding, bring it on!

Sorry Dandaps 10 one bay all the way for me mate, no mahoosive overhang or leaning out with a fookin heavy tube!

Suppose it depends on the job at hand, Loading class etc but I would allways stick a swivel on anyways

does a brace not have to be stiffened if it is excess of 3 metres?

I think cantilevers and buttresses do, dont think braces have to be though. Should be braced from node point to node point. You can brace from handrail to ledger but has to be every standard.

cos someone always moves the goal posts. Fookin preeecks! ha ha!

Lads i think it is a case of to much information , just go throw it up and fu ck of down the pub where it can be debated in fine detail :D

Hi gents, forum virgin until now. Our new friend TG20 recommends brace across 2 bays then no plan bracing required.

I'm sure it would all be fine as long as people don't start throwing 21's in for bracing! They changed it to every 6 bays now aswell instead of 5

Welcome owmanybeams. This is all confusing me now lol. So windbrace accross 2 bays and you dont need plan bracing? Is that plan bracing from standard to standard on every bay? lol

Ive seen it being done for years with just a windy accross 1 bay and no plan bracing atall and never seen a job collapse lol.

Welcome to the forum owmanybeams:noworry:get involved mate.

Theres been a lot of scaffolds going up round my way lately,Ive yet too see one with sway brace over 2 bays. More like doglegs. is this also whats been taught in colleges now????

Top Bottom