Chas

platinum

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I recently tendered for a big timber frame job, and was called to a pre strart meeting well at least i thought it was, but they said really happy with price etc, and everything you have submitted, but you are not registred with CHAS !!

I carry out major contracts with Wimpey and other big firms but they just carry out an internal vetting system, but is anyone else on this CHAS, and is it worth doing and what bloody cost is it ?

If it will win us contracts then worth doing ?:::)

Quiet a few firms ask for chas now

A CHAS compliant supplier meets acceptable standards of health and safety. (the threshold standard or core criteria). Our buyers can view which suppliers are compliant.

Accreditation goes beyond compliance. Accreditation provides several benefits including Licensed use of our logos on your stationery and livery and the potential for reduced insurance premiums

We have been members for about 3 years. They send you a load of questions regarding your policies on H&S, Environmental and other stuff. You fill everything in and send copies of your paperwork away. It is then assessed and you get told whether you fail or pass. The assessors are usually fair and if you've missed something or something isn't to their liking, they will let you know what you need to do to improve it and pass.

I think it costs about £160 a year.

A lot of contractors you use to assess your companies policies etc. Some won't make you go through all of their full tender qualification stuff if you're already CHAS registered.

I'm not saying we have had load of work because of it but we have save a lot of time getting on companies tender list and supplier lists.

PM me if you need any help as I've done ours for three years and I know what they look for.

hi bud we are chas to if you need anything just let us know.

can be a right pain though as dass said

Like the other guys got documents if you need them although this year the assessor wanted asbestos cert. so to comply I had to put all the lads through an asbestos course at a fair cost, plus chas fee.

Where On Earth Do These People Spring From? This Is Just Someone Else Looking For A Handout, Seriously How Many More Organisations Want To Vet And Assess Us? And For What?

I think Chas is direct government run.

Higher than NASC?

Might be wrong!!

:notrust:

alrite teeside just saw that chas and dave rabbit,rabbit dont know how long ago it was posted pure class ta !!!

Like the other guys got documents if you need them although this year the assessor wanted asbestos cert. so to comply I had to put all the lads through an asbestos course at a fair cost, plus chas fee.

scaffatron why did Chas want asbestos certs , if you dont do asbestos work then surely you wouldn't need to have your lads carded for it :unsure:

I asked him same question mate we don't touch the stuff, he then replied do your lads drill holes for ties.
It seams they are trying to enforce it so when lads that have it come to renew it's something that they could require.

I asked him same question mate we don't touch the stuff, he then replied do your lads drill holes for ties.
It seams they are trying to enforce it so when lads that have it come to renew it's something that they could require.

Scaffatron, on most sites ive been involved in,theres a pre works asbestos inspection,so dont know why a scaff is expected to hold this ticket.

It's worth having as we have to as the council we do work for require chas and construction line.
I must admit the first time you apply for it, it's a right tw@t to fill in, but once the paper work is in place it kind of repeats itself paper work wise with a tweak her and there and the assessors are sound.

Mmm, not sure Frederik. We did a small awareness thing and was surprised with a few facts. You are right with the supposed to be surveyed but you have a lot of builders that are either just ignorant or unscrupulous that would never divulge the right information to the right people then as the man says the scaffs drill in and bang you have a problem. I know it's another ticket but it's still a big killer in our industry so might be worth getting it.

Fred I think there covering all the bases as you have to take into account that street work lads might not have that luxury of pre site asbestos inspections, it was just something I had to do otherwise no passing go mate.

Is anyone else on this CHAS?

:eek:

chocaine.jpg

I bet you can find many many Scaffolders on 'the chas' on a Friday night! ;)

I think Chas is direct government run.

Higher than NASC?

Might be wrong!!

:notrust:

Higher than NASC?? Clearly not done either! Chas is a lot of paperwork and faffing but a lot of companies ask to see it unfortunately. It should be completely redundant if you are an NASC member. It's not too hard though. Just plough through it.

Top Bottom