Career change to scaffolding?

Shaund

Reaction score
I'm in two minds here so I'm after a bit if advice from you lads....

I've worked on construction sites/ship yards labouring since I left school. I've got a bit money saved together so thinking of paying for my part 1 myself and doing my 7.5 tonne driving licence.

Do I need a be employed by a company to do my part 1 even though I'm paying for it myself? And what's the crack with the cisrs card? I've been on there website but don't know which card I'll need?? Trainee or labourer? I've already got my cscs card.

Most of my family an friends are scaffolders so I think I'm going to go into that trade myself.

I don't just want to buy myself a card, I want to learn properly.

Mate first things first ull need 6 months at least SCAFFOLDING labouring before you consider part 1, I would get the labourers cisrs card first as ur registered in the scaffolding industry therefore find it a bit easier to get a start with a firm

Fair enough mate, just been on the cisrs website and tried to apply for a labourers card but there asking for employers details??

You could ring the national construction college midlands on 0121 459 8000/4262. They can give you the best advice and prices on all courses available and when...All the best in your career you'll never look back.

They are expensive tho mate part 1 is a grand or so

I myself have to do my final assessment its gonna cost me £850

Yeah ano mate, I've rang up about prices, got that all sorted and got the money all there as well, desperate to get into it! I've sent email after email off to all the local company's but heard nothing back, guess I'll just have to just keep trying eh

Yeah ano mate, I've got the money there to do it, am desperate to get into it! I've sent email after email out to local company's but heard nothing back! Guess I'll have to keep trying eh

That for part 2 or advanced bobby ?

Part 2 den its the one when the instructor comes out to see ya and a day at school its the quickest way to get ur card ( 1 month or so pos before) its annoying because I've actually got part funding from the college but its a 3 month cycle that way which I didn't know about and as my cisrs card has nearly run out this is the best way to do it

I've only been here 5 weeks so I've asked but don't think it will happen shame for training they seem a brilliant firm

As for supervisors na they got plenty mate all good blokes too

Dont get me wrong im looked after up here, but sometimes you need a change and do something new. Thats why im thinking of doing my pts and lucas card. couple more cards to fill my wallet.

go for it

I changed career 18 years ago, at 25. got a job as scaff labourer. paid my part 1 and 2, part 1 after 2 months then 6 months later part 2. they teach you everything to pass the course. I now train scaffs for the firm I work for now. but it took about 18 months to get scaff money one of the best things I did and still love scaffolding as a job now mat

I changed career 18 years ago, at 25. got a job as scaff labourer. paid my part 1 and 2, part 1 after 2 months then 6 months later part 2. they teach you everything to pass the course. I now train scaffs for the firm I work for now. but it took about 18 months to get scaff money one of the best things I did and still love scaffolding as a job now mat

Very good first post matty welcome to the forum buddy

Welcome To The Forum Matty, Good Encouraging First Post That.

Thanks for all the replys lads!!! Few good bits of advice there!

As I said in my first post I'm looking to do my 7.5 tonne licence to give me a better chance of landing a job! But I've just been thinking and because I'm only 23 would the company be able to insure me as most company's only insure 25's and over??

Top Bottom