cantilever

outward bound

Reaction score
Hi ,

i was wondering if anyone could advise on a basic formula for cantilever scaffolds - i know that the site conditions depends on alot of factors but say - if a cantilever needle is 2.0M away from the scaffold - what would be the forrmula to use to work out how much force is required at the back to stop the scaffold from being pulled over ?

Many Thanks

OB

I have always used 3-1 so if your needles need to be 2m you would need 6m inside , thats not written anywhere but has always worked for me ;)

Counterweight safety formula. Weight x projection ÷ tail x 3 = counterweight.
This is from my part 2 training some years ago, don't know if its still used.

I have a formula in Excel that another member kindly sent me. PM me your email and I'll forward it tomorrow.

hello mate cantilever scaffolds are based on classes judged on weight and projection in a terminology term the further you needle out the less weight on cantilvers it is all down to design and drawing now if you have one to erect approach your client find out their requirements and go from drawing an design cover your back always

Counterweight safety formula. Weight x projection ÷ tail x 3 = counterweight.
This is from my part 2 training some years ago, don't know if its still used.

Tony has this one right, that said there are a couple of other considerations.
1) The bending moment in the needle
2) The downward force at the fulcrum point.

The BM on your beam would be WL Weight x distance (over 2 for a ULD)

The load at the fulcrum would be, tailing length plus cantilever x load over tailing length

regards
Alan

Top Bottom