butting glass with transoms

grafter

Reaction score
was told by some 1 who has been a scaffolder for 20 years that its ok to butt glass with transom as long as it has end cap.
now only been scaffolding about 4 years and i wouldnt and think this is wrong as pressure on glass will smash it am i correct or do other scaffs do this.

Get the bloke who told you this was alright and tell him you'll put a scaffold up on the front of his house making sure you butt the trannys off his windows.

I'm sure he'll change his mind

does he mean a pressure tie on the window opening rather than butting actually in to the glass as 2 5ft pushed oppsite each other in the opening of a window with caps on to stop damage to the window opening is common but not in to the glass

lol,ffs,was he the same fella that puts a box tie around a parked car.:laugh:

Why would you Butt the glass :eek: , hope your governor has his insurance premiums up to date sounds like he will be needing it sooner rather then later

Did It When Scaffolding A Glass Cupola On A Roof So They Could Paint The Astrigals, But Thats All.

I Had The Transom About Six Millimeters Away From The Glass But Not On It.

Thats About Right Allan My Father Was A Glazier So He Kept Me Right About The Stress The Glass Could Take.

I don't think it's a stupid question but the guy who said you could do it certainly is.

A good while back now we built a job round a good size house that was getting a total refurb. There was a load of glass conservatories and new windows going in and we had to re-route over head cables to allow us to bring in beams to span it all. We got a call from the builder who told us the client was going mental as we had broken 2 windows and in turn I fired it into the boy's as I told them to be especially careful round all that glass and if they had broken something they must have been fly about it as I was on the job myself all the time.

Anyway, drove out to inspect the damage and it turned out the double glazed units were broken on the inside due to the joiners fitting them wrong.

The builder had to hold me back as I really wanted to discuss it further with the client.:mad:

And yes, the boy's got a full and frank apology.:embarrest:

piss take yes ,but stupid no,if grafter doesnt have much experience i can see why you would ask after a few posts on here,however if you have got years in the game you need to change your name on here to .........:D

4 years i just read make it clueless !

piss take yes ,but stupid no,if grafter doesnt have much experience i can see why you would ask after a few posts on here,however if you have got years in the game you need to change your name on here to .........:D

4 years i just read make it clueless !
Try and concentrate hard Joe :D

Get some tube end suction pads so they stick to the glass . Then there's no need for additional ties ha ha.

i have broke windows from chaining kit through scaffold without touching them with tube fitttings or bds ,the site agent said it was breaking the sound barrier i know i am quick but please

Top Bottom