Bridge question?

If the problem is retrieval of the beams after completion,could you not run a job straight down the centre of the bridge with the beams overhead and just hang a lift either side?maybe the concrete pour would scupper this route though,we need a picture or plan aom:cool:

I think I may have to email you what I have as the last time I tried to post a drawing the Mrs had to do it for me as the forum only allows such small amounts. If you were to see the drawing you would see the job I think is fairly straight forward as long as I can keep the weight down. Fixing the towers at each end will also be crucial but there will be steel to tie into along it's length even if it does mean a bit of stretching to release them. I bet he won't mention that on his method statement.;)

Thing is aom it's not only the loading it's the span...I'm sure you used 4 beams for a pedestrian bridge but I'm guessing the span was nowhere near 20m!

You might want to think about these...

Apollo Cradles 1500mm X-Beam

It was longer but there was a fair chunk of ground in the middle supporting it as well as it was over a canal and a berthing spot. I thought the X beams would be part of the solution, thanks.

Yes, they are not your standard X beam....1.5m deep and VERY strong!

Not cheap I would guess....

Yes, they are not your standard X beam....1.5m deep and VERY strong!

Not cheap I would guess....

Yes,but how would you attach your transoms,puncheons etc?the cords on these beams are square:wondering:

Surely I will not need all that.:eek:

Is 20m really that big a span in the grand scheme of things?

No aom, 20m isn't a huge span.....but let's say the width is 4m and the load is 0.75 kN/sq.m - that is....

20 x 4 x 0.75 = 60 kN (6 tonne approx)

Add the weight of the deck and the beams and your looking at more than 100 kN.

100 kN over a 20m span IS a lot!

Add in you limitation on self weight......and you need strong and light beams....

Just the boards over a 20m x 4m area weigh 2 tonne....doesn't leave much of your 5t capacity left!

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

The 1500 Apollo beams are compatible with tube and fitting you just can't fix direct to the beam chords.

Just think alistair,it was;nt that long ago you'd have just built that in tube and fitting no design required,simples;)

Well if you are going to put it like that.:laugh:

Thanks AxSD, I will speak to a designer and warn the client this is going to cost them. I can see the old crane jib coming back down for this one.:(

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Just think alistair,it was;nt that long ago you'd have just built that in tube and fitting no design required,simples;)

Yeah, happy days eh. Is this a good example of where the job is going wrong for small operators or is it just times have moved on and we have to move with it?

The PC seems to be doing it right, by going down the Hierarchy of controls, regarding WAHR 2005. However, Alistair, you seem to have your finger on the pulse, regarding the needs, see if it reasonably practicable his first option, and if not re-adjust the RAMS, till it makes sense to all.

To be honest Paddy, it's more the client that's driving this one which is even better. I may try and give them a few options and see which one they choose, then we will see what they are really made of.

Top Bottom