Breaking down a quote

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
Been giving the nod that we have won a large job , but the surveyor now wants a break down of price to compare like for like with the other quotes , trouble is i have included the MCD on the price as well as pricing some items higher then others

My question is to what degree would you break down a quote , would you just say x amount a meter run plus x amount hire ?

Been giving the nod that we have won a large job , but the surveyor now wants a break down of price to compare like for like with the other quotes , trouble is i have included the MCD on the price as well as pricing some items higher then others

My question is to what degree would you break down a quote , would you just say x amount a meter run plus x amount hire ?
There's only one reason a surveyor wants you to break down a quote and its so he can try and screw some more money out of you. He'll say its so he can compare prices like for like but the end game is him trying to get more money from you.

Just tell him the quote is competative and thats why your in the frame for it, its irrelevant what anybody else's price is if your the cheapest, so why would he need to compare it, is he suddenly going to offer everybody else more money?

Offer him an extra 1/2 a percent mcd or a couple of weeks exrta hire for free (surveyors like free stuff).

You'll get your money back on extra over items that are bound to occur because the greedy surveyor has cut the schedule to the bone and left loads of stuff out.

spot on phil ...in my experiance if you individually itemise and price you leave urself open to a unscrupulas Qs who at your site prelim would show you the lower item price of a competitor- whilst not stating where they have priced items higher then you, so you drop on that item and in your eagerness to get the contract you end of massively lower then the competetor and the Qs get his cake and eat it.
ps did you ever do that harness inspectors course details i sent ya

There's only one reason a surveyor wants you to break down a quote and its so he can try and screw some more money out of you. He'll say its so he can compare prices like for like but the end game is him trying to get more money from you.

Just tell him the quote is competative and thats why your in the frame for it, its irrelevant what anybody else's price is if your the cheapest, so why would he need to compare it, is he suddenly going to offer everybody else more money?

Offer him an extra 1/2 a percent mcd or a couple of weeks exrta hire for free (surveyors like free stuff).

You'll get your money back on extra over items that are bound to occur because the greedy surveyor has cut the schedule to the bone and left loads of stuff out.
Surveys are nearly as greedy as bricklayers the difference is they wear ties to work

Was my thoughts exactly dangeruss , just that some of these surveyors have a way of trying to play with your head

Thanks southern , no i didnt go but i sent me old man who is our safety advisor , it was only a days course but as usual i was up to my neck in things, thanks for the contact details i will get it done my self eventually , been looking at the diveyaks you where talking about and iam very tempted , be great fro chasing lobsters and scallops around Perival Ledges :D

Thanks southern , no i didnt go but i sent me old man who is our safety advisor , it was only a days course but as usual i was up to my neck in things, thanks for the contact details i will get it done my self eventually , been looking at the diveyaks you where talking about and iam very tempted , be great fro chasing lobsters and scallops around Perival Ledges :D

i got pulled on a harness tag by a overzelous saftey guy yesterday trying to read me the riot act till i pulled out a pen and sighned it up to date then showed him my:toung: card,after he blushed up and stammered umming and ahing, he minced off with his tail between his legs....so tbh its was worth the £150 just to see his face lolo

Where do get your harness tags from Southern ?
as we just keep an inspection register on site

spot on phil ...in my experiance if you individually itemise and price you leave urself open to a unscrupulas Qs who at your site prelim would show you the lower item price of a competitor- whilst not stating where they have priced items higher then you, so you drop on that item and in your eagerness to get the contract you end of massively lower then the competetor and the Qs get his cake and eat it.
ps did you ever do that harness inspectors course details i sent ya
Ay up southern,did Ya ever come across scaff by the name Paul Hayward from Basingstoke.
Did a coupla courses at Bircham Newton wi Him back in 80's

the name faintly rings a bell, not many of us old spanners left lolo do you remember who he was on for at the time

i'll ask asround for you mate ....scaffs are like a mini mafia down ere lol

i'll ask asround for you mate ....scaffs are like a mini mafia down ere lol

you must know the likes of dave horton, dave hardy and David yates (deafy) then southern there basignstoke lads were on for palmers when i was on there

lolo i know a Andy Horton but i've never been on for palmers, in the 80s i started on Debrorahs then onto Caplins
90s onto Claw, then GKN ,back to Claw then onto Adept and finally KNK before starting up for myself in 99

Palmers basingstoke run by bob ruttle ?

Are claw still around

Lads does anyone know if Flapper is still around used to be a supervisor out of Palmers,Chandlersford dept

Top Bottom