BIS Salamis Offshore/Onshore Basic-Advanced Scaffolders

gingerdog

Reaction score
Salamis are advertising again on Facebook right now for Basic & Advanced Scaffolders for Offshore and Onshore work

I have just done my part 2 just waiting to do my 1 day assesment got all my offshore tickets just need a firm to give me a chance to get off l have paid for all my tickets my self.

We still have ongoing requirments for adhoc offshore and onshore Advanced and Basic Scaffolders. You must have offshore experience and hold a valid CISRS card/ relevent offshore certificates. Please forward your CV to jobs@salamis.com or contact 01224 246246 for more information

Hi, I have sent in my c.v and call every other day but still not heard anything back. I worked as a foreman offshore in the dutch sector of the north sea. So i have experience but keep kinda getting fobbed off.

i worked for salamis for years mate.keep trying i had same problem yrs ago,its cos they dont know you yet thats all.best luck

Just a thought Teeside...Firms keep asking for MUST be offshore experience scaffolders. If firms don't start blokes offshore, there will be no one left!
Its the same old story no matter where in the world you work..it is WHO you know.
One of the values of this web site, is to spread the word on jobs offshore or on the beach that are available and give the newcomers to offshore a chance.
If firms are worried who they are getting, then they could always VOC ( Verification of Competance ) them at their premises to see they are suitable and can carryout scaffolding as stated on their tickets. Those who can't don't go.
Quite a few scaffolders I have noticed seem to have paid for their offshore tickets themselves and just need that chance.
I should imagine that there are a few good ones out there, that firms like Salamis would keep hold of.

i totally agree he who dares all people neeed is a chance if they mess up then they wont get that chance again

I dont think they are worried about scaffolding competence so the VOC idea wouldnt matter. They are more worried about someone having an accident and the ensuing problems that would cause.
I was offshore years ago and a newbie turned up with a suitcase and then fell down the stairs. Understandable for companies to be worried about the calibre of people they send there.There have also been a huge number of men beg to be sent back to the beach after a couple of days as they quickly realised it was not the life for them.

Mr

Its owe you no now to get a job off shore tell you lads l am industriel painter shotblaster as well now just done my part 2 scaffolding and still cant get off l will not give up o

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mftz4gY7okk]ABBA - Take A Chance On Me [Olivia Special 1978] - YouTube[/ame]

Just a thought Teeside...Firms keep asking for MUST be offshore experience scaffolders. If firms don't start blokes offshore, there will be no one left!
Its the same old story no matter where in the world you work..it is WHO you know.
One of the values of this web site, is to spread the word on jobs offshore or on the beach that are available and give the newcomers to offshore a chance.
If firms are worried who they are getting, then they could always VOC ( Verification of Competance ) them at their premises to see they are suitable and can carryout scaffolding as stated on their tickets. Those who can't don't go.
Quite a few scaffolders I have noticed seem to have paid for their offshore tickets themselves and just need that chance.
I should imagine that there are a few good ones out there, that firms like Salamis would keep hold of.
Lets be honest HWDW the Australian VOC is as much a joke as the Australian scaffold qualification.The VOCs are done by the companies themselves who generally are only interested in getting bodies on to the projects and couldnt care less about the poor f**ker who has to manage them.
One of the biggest problems I encountered at Pluto, and this problem almost got the company thrown off the project was that scaffolders had been employed by young girls in HR who did not have a clue. These men were then VOCd at the company head office and sent to Pluto. This VOC generally involved 6 of them building 2 kwik stage towers 4 metres high, slinging a pair of beams across and building a t&f hanger off the deck. These guys were then certificated as competent in scaffolding and working at height. Most of these guys had only system experience in a city enviroment they then found themselves on a major LNG project with stringent safety procedures and complex scaffolding. I dont blame the guys but the companies and HR. The only way I could control this was by flying over the country interviewing the candidates myself.
I still couldnt see them hands on but at least could see which ones should not be allowed away from their mothers in the first place!!

i watched some guys doing the advanced course at inchinnan , back in november, and chuckled when watching these guys doing their hanger , thinking to myself that some of these people when faced with the real thing would buckle , its a bit different when your 2 or 3 hundred feet up with concrete or water beneath you , the course teaches them to build the job but there will be lots when faced with the real thing , realise they dont have the bottle. i didnt think i did at first.

Having just did my 3rd trip offshore I can honestly say that SG4:10 is unheard of and the scaffs that I work along side have never heard of the dreaded scaffstep or Advanced guardrail. So my old perception that Offshore Scaffolding working practices were more proffessional / Safely related and to a higher standard that say on powerstations etc is unfounded however other Riggs could be different just my experience over a short duration.

well poacher i was offshore 17yrs for salamis cape duff and Mcgoven,in the 80s 90s till 2006,i never heard aswell,i work on streets powerstations and i"ve worked with some good scaffolders i can tell you mate,it always comes down to longth time and experience,nothing less northing more.offshore you can take more time to get job right and work safer,onshore you cant,companies want it done yesterday mate,thats the different

Top Bottom