best firm you worked for

apex scaffolding (maidstone, kent), 1990-2002.
learned my trade & got introduced to sex,drugs & rock 'n roll,
in a good way, praise be alan simmonds.:laugh:

agree with the post 100%

then 2nd was vange scaffolding, cleared over £1000 a week, week in week out for a year, til they went bust :mad:

Ya mate.
We'd have to go some to beat that job, eh Dal?

Ive heard Vange was pukka.

Last edited:
Without doubt interserve industrial services on esso refinery, fawley, Southampton for vic wilson, and dungeness nuclear power station, again for Vic Wilson and disco dave.

Gen?
You know a bloke called Billy Cleary?
A Scouser, with a blonde 'Hulk Hogan' moustache and a big beer belly?

I worked with him a few times and he kept going on about SGB's in Jersey and how much of a good job it was.
ha ha i worked with him on the olympic stadium job think he had trill budgie food for breaky wouldnt shut up:D

stephens and carter, harrow road london , in 70s . bob turner was our supervisor for west end of london

The Stephens & Carter Yard in Harrow Road is now the Deborah's yard. Back in the 70's S&C were owned by the BET group and were expanding throughout the country. BET also aquired various other scaffold companies including Greyston's, Deborahs and Aberdeen Scaffolding for their off-shore works. In the mid eighties the contract scaffolding companies were amalgamated under the name of Deborah Greyston which later became Deborah Scaffolding. The S&C brand which owned the 'Clima' business continued into the 1990's as a hire & sales division and gradually lost its asset value the name was then shelved in favour of Deborah's.

I feel very lucky to have been associated with S&C back in those days. :)

I worked for S & C in Teeside & Ipswich and a lot of good lads worked for them, Bob Parsons [sadly deceased] was the Peterborough manager, Roger Cook was the manager for Luton [later with Trad scaffolding Bow]

Fond memories and good p1ss ups with the lads

I grew up with Bobby and attended his funeral (sad to think that wearing a harness would have ment he would be with us today). I was QS to both these lads in the S&C days as Luton and Peterborough were Depots I covered.

S & C in Teeside

i took the scaffold rack down for that yard under deborahs

subie out to di williams robbing b************

I mustn't forget Big Ben in the 60's....they were a great outfit then.....I had the Cradle Gang. With me was Mick Rumble from Holland Park and John Spelman from Roscommon in Ireland.......we were all 20, all good at our job and had a great time (still using wooden poles a lot of the time). We all worked together on a few other firms too.

The money was good and you were treated like human beings....their fittings were unique.....if not difficult sometimes, but all in all, Big Ben were the best for me :bigsmile:

Also, SGB have been good for me, especially from 1979-81 at Milford Haven Depot, while working on new build at Texaco Refinery had first £1000+ wages....yes, 30 years ago......and a cracking job too......ask anyone who was on the Spheres with me....;)

S & C in Teeside

i took the scaffold rack down for that yard under deborahs

subie out to di williams robbing b************

Brian Lawless was the rep for them in the 70`s Richard Plumber was the H & S manager, i think John O`Hara was the area manager at that time.

The best firm I ever worked for was 'Tubular Scaffolding' in Glasgow, every job was based on hours, so if you knocked the job up by noon, you could drive back to the yard drop the wagon off and piss off to the boozer, best company ever!!! Nicky Scargill was a great mananger.

Top Bottom