Bent tube

paul

Reaction score
How do you sraighten your bent tube?

Reason i ask is today we had a guy pull up to the yard to straighen all the bent tube in the yard which he did but he fed the tube in to a machine which took the tube through a series of rollers which span the tube round as it straightened it but the only problem is that it had left spiral marks all down the length of the tube which effects the leveling .

How do you sraighten your bent tube?

Reason i ask is today we had a guy pull up to the yard to straighen all the bent tube in the yard which he did but he fed the tube in to a machine which took the tube through a series of rollers which span the tube round as it straightened it but the only problem is that it had left spiral marks all down the length of the tube which effects the leveling .

use your eye, ;)

Everywhere I've worked has been same Paul.
A bloke has come along with a machine as you describe and fed tube through

Jam one end in rack and pull the other end.

Cut the bend out the tube to a usable size.

Remember to charge the t w a t that bent it.

Everywhere I've worked has been same Paul.
A bloke has come along with a machine as you describe and fed tube through

Thats it mate.
Its some big rolling machine thing that forces the tube through and it comes out straight the other end.

Got some force in that bit of kit, id hate to catch my finger in there, lol.
I picked a 16ft up the other day that had those tell-tell lines down the side.

Does it not weaken the tube once the bend has being taken out ??
Advice from designers please

I have always cut out the bend,saved the good lengths, weighed in the bends as scrap

how would you stand if a scaffold failed with straightend tube used in it's construction.Think you would be out on a limb as regards your insurers

I always thought that was the idea of the straighteners, so you could be certain of not weakening the tube rather than jam it in the rack causing a crease. I could be wrong, it wont be the first time.:embarrest:

I believe it does weaken the tubes.
I dont have any technical data on it, but ive been told by a few guys over the years who have all said the same thing.

That's the beauty of the forum, clarity.:D

Like allan says use it bent twist the tube so it dont look to bad , wack it in for a bottom handrail or sway brace (its making money bent an all :D )

Or use the curved tubes when your doing splays.
Saves on all those extra trannies, lol.

i used to be a tube straightener and if the tubes were being marked that would mean his rollers are to tight and need adjusting

as regards integrity of tube i was an info member of nasc and they never questioned its validity

dr , deborahs, sgb , palmers all had tube straightened

we used to charge £ 1.20 to straighten a tube so i think it was cost effective

use it bent twist the tube so it dont look to bad , wack it in for a bottom handrail or sway brace (its making money bent an all :D )

OMG you sound just like my dad!!! Get in, get done, get gone. Whatever you have just find a use for it. MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!:D

bent tube

Ive been tube straightening now for over 12 years, orginally for a guy called 'the tubeman' and then for myself.

If the tubes are coming out of the machine with spiral markes on them then the rollers are tightened too much or there is a possibility that a bearing is on the way out and is causing a roller to run out of align.

Ive never heard of a job 'coming down' due to the failure of a tube thats been straightend.

If a tube is bent in such a way that it has a crease or kink it then I'd always cut it out.

Bigwood Tube straighteners were designed in such a way to use the 'cold roll' method of straightening, its only when you start to apply heat to a tube that you alter the physical property's of the tube.

the big advantaage of straightening tube is the cost savings, to straighten a tube would cost you approx 4.5p to 5.5p per foot, where as to buy a new tube say 65-75p per foot??

ok you can cut the tubes down but what happens to all your 5's 8's an 13's that get bent?? plus you need your 20's an 16's for standards an ledgers??

hope this helps, if i can be of anymore helps then fire some questions at me

i used to be a tube straightener and if the tubes were being marked that would mean his rollers are to tight and need adjusting

as regards integrity of tube i was an info member of nasc and they never questioned its validity

dr , deborahs, sgb , palmers all had tube straightened

we used to charge £ 1.20 to straighten a tube so i think it was cost effective

i pick some tube up the other week which was badly marked bought a job lot and there was a bout 10 legths which i would say was no good to put on a job because of this if thats what it do to tube i think i will keep to cutting it down.

By the sounds of it you just have to find an experienced operator to straighten them. I suppose it's no different than any other service you get, some good some bad.

Top Bottom