Base out with inside standards on the back of ledger

instead of a butt i use a 5 with doubles for the inside and outside ledgers. no more measuring.

I used to use a 5 foot tube like you say dan-ger , but progressed to a butt as it is a lot less hassle

how do you find using readylock do you use them all the time. have their limits on beam worth you not think
I quite like them for beam work, if you place them upside down on the support towers and every 2 m apart on the beams.Then place them directly above the beams below with your standards in them it holds the whole thing really steady,you can run your plan braces of the standards.
We have 5 boards 4 boards and 3 boards they're useful where we work for basing out (put them on the floot upside down with a ledger)great for towers inside, save loads of time and materials and carrying

been basing out that way for30 years . quicker, safer, nothing wrong with it at all. cant understand why its not the norm. tried to convert the lads on bournemouth scaffolding a while ago but they are all too thick............

been basing out that way for30 years . quicker, safer, nothing wrong with it at all. cant understand why its not the norm. tried to convert the lads on bournemouth scaffolding a while ago but they are all too thick............

some like to struggle and cant be helped

17 years for me, shocked at some of the comments in this thread.

Why WOULDN'T you do it?

Bet you base out twice as much metreage as anyone on here that doesn't do it this way in the same time.

AntiqueScaffolders.com Haha

i have done it on a design job and had to change it as the design said it was the other side.
so once in 16yrs its been wrong for me

But don't the weight loads on the doubles hold the same whic ever way as long as its in the guide lines of the node point and what would happen on say a 13 by 13 scaffold at some point the ledger will be on the front or the back

But don't the weight loads on the doubles hold the same whic ever way as long as its in the guide lines of the node point and what would happen on say a 13 by 13 scaffold at some point the ledger will be on the front or the back

Think the purpose is for eas of basing out an indapendant so you can walk your inisde standards in or down a tight ally were you can walk both set down

I was erecting a independent the other day stating with a goal post but I ran my inside ledger on the front of my standards so I could walk the rest in ( hope that made sense) my boss saw this and said it was wrong and that if hse saw this they wouldn't like it I argued this and said no they won't because my width and distance the standards were apart were right but he wouldn't have I'm sure I was right or is there something I didn't learn that I was ment to on my course and by others

I dont think it makes much difference mate.
Me? im a bit of a neat-freak and like my Ledgers on the inside of the Scaffold... its a struggle, but i think - neater and less likely a pull by some over picky Safety bloke.
Only time i "reverse base-out" as i call it, is its on a block of flats and theres a balcony or whatever and you need to instep the Scaffold in by a few feet and your inside Ledger becomes your outside Ledger (if that makes any sense, lol).
:toung:
'Walking' the Standards in is easier though. :)

Last edited:
I dont think it makes much difference mate.
Me? im a bit of a neat-freak and like my Ledgers on the inside of the Scaffold... its a struggle, but i think - neater and less likely a pull by some over picky Safety bloke.
Only time i "reverse base-out" as i call it, is its on a block of flats and theres a balcony or whatever and you need to instep the Scaffold in by a few feet and your inside Ledger becomes your outside Ledger (if that makes any sense, lol).
:toung:
'Walking' the Standards in is easier though. :)

Makes sense Jason. Happens on bay fronts as well. Dont really know what the fuss is about.

Top Bottom