Bad scaffolds

savva

Reaction score
I emailed the HSE a few days ago about the state of scaffolds that are erected in the area where I live. It's mainly small building firms using system scaffolding with bracing missing handrails missing and ties missing. Even the councils charging for permits don't even check them by the looks of it to see if they are erected to a safe standard. After getting permanently scrutinised on sites and the town by safety officers, councils and HSE. It winds me up that firms can get away with it. And these firms are doing proper scaffolding outfits out of work.

yep joke mate, only today I saw painters doing up a pub no scaffold, with extension ladder up to bout 7m with the legs in the road and 1 cone complete joke,

Hi Savva,
You,ve hit the nail right on the head there.
How are properly run scaffold companies supposed to compete ,when there are so many small unchecked dodgy firms out there, getting away with what they can.
The thing is though in these harder times , building firms are going for the cheapest prices.
Not saying all small firms are bad , just saying ALL scaffolding firms should be monitered by 1 body so all are on the same par.
Sure dont seem like that around here.

There r loads about,the last gang i saw wore just belts,no ppe on, nothing,the industry has double standards,unlike most which catch beams on street work,lol

There are loads of cowboy outfits out here! But there are many good small firms as well. If i don't have to wear ppe on a job then i wont!

dont want to bore you with hsw act 1974 Baz but hard hats and steel toe caps i think are a must as well as a harness.The only ppe that is not really compulsory would be overalls,gloves and l.e.p. working in street.

ppe is there to help keep you safer to a degree but really if you dont utilise it and have an accident where the said ppe could have prevented such an accident then please no claims or blame,as you can only blame oneself.

ppe is there to help keep you safer to a degree but really if you dont utilise it and have an accident where the said ppe could have prevented such an accident then please no claims or blame,as you can only blame oneself.

Totally agree with you mate, but i never said a high street job! We have had a couple of nice little single storey extentions in the middle of no where, and in my eyes there is no need to have all the ***** on when not necessary!

Surely we have all been doing it long enough to know when you need all your ppe!

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I bet you put a good job up though

Maybe i do maybe i dont, and i bet your the best scaffolder to ever grace our planet! lol

There are loads of cowboy outfits out here! But there are many good small firms as well. If i don't have to wear ppe on a job then i wont!

your bang on Baz there are many very good small firms around , unfortunately we all tend to get seen as pikeys by the larger firms, some of who dont practice what they preach themselves :)

i got some work off oneil & brennen on the tesco being built in liverpool ppe was mandatory but the scaffold was yellow quick form erected by brick layers without cisrs cards i left after six hours as all workers were in danger of being involved in an accident i called the hse and was told that the site had passed a hse inspection and not to worry this is the problem enough of a profit and corners are cut this will get worse before it gets better unless we the scaffolders only work to sg4 10/ tg20 08 and the hse is shaken up by the people who own the cisrs giving big fines to the hse/building companys/scaffolders involved in using illegal methods of scaffolding you should not be in our game unless full committed to the welfare of people who use our services

your bang on Baz there are many very good small firms around , unfortunately we all tend to get seen as pikeys by the larger firms, some of who dont practice what they preach themselves :)

Your totally right, and maybe getting seen in the wrong light here, but i'm gonna stick to my guns, in the middle of some field, with no fcuker about and just cows and sheep to see.
i aint sticking a fcuking hi-viz, hard hat or harness on!

If any of you guys really would on a 6ft lift you need to get a grip!

i can see where your coming from with this baz. I always wear my boots, usually my hard hat, the rest depending on the job im on. I once got caught short in the middle of no-where with only a cow shed in sight. imagine the consequences if id have had my overalls, harness, hard hat, chin strap, glasses, dust mask, ear defenders on. Glad im not still at corus

i can see where your coming from with this baz. I always wear my boots, usually my hard hat, the rest depending on the job im on. I once got caught short in the middle of no-where with only a cow shed in sight. imagine the consequences if id have had my overalls, harness, hard hat, chin strap, glasses, dust mask, ear defenders on. Glad im not still at corus

lol

i never wear it on weekend myself . nobody to catch me . 90% of the time id rather fall off than fall hooked on , have you seen the picture of the lad who lost his knackers to a harness

i never wear it on weekend myself . nobody to catch me . 90% of the time id rather fall off than fall hooked on , have you seen the picture of the lad who lost his knackers to a harness

With you on that one mate!:amazed:

Top Bottom