Back problems

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
As I am sure many of the time served scaffs on here do I have suffered from back pain for years.
I have also suffered from numbness in one leg as a result of hard graft.
I have never been one for chiropractors or physiotherapists and most of the massages I have had have been "happy ending" ones !
I was told about a woman here who can cure back pain so I thought I would give it a whirl. I had a chat with her and she said she finds trapped nerves, disc problems etc and forces them out of the body. Upper back pain through the shoulder and lower pain through the ankle. I was sceptical about this but thought anything is worth a go.
She started off with the upper back and nothing as I have only suffered with lower back problems. She then started on the lower body section. She found a painful area just at the base of my spine and started pushing and kneading downwards. The pain ended up at the back of my knee. Another hour of pushing and kneading the pain was in my ankle and was excrutiating. She kneaded my ankle and the pain went.
The result was a lot of bruising and it was difficult to walk the next day. Now 2 days later all back pain and leg numbness has completely gone which is a relief after several years of suffering.
Any members tried different methods to cure or ease back problems?

I slouch quite a bit from being top heavy and unfit lol but what I find works is a thai or sports massage costs about £90 for 90 minutes odd and as you said it hurts like mad but the next day your shoulders feel 10ft wide and you feel about 7ft tall its brilliant

What method or name of massage was it fred?

Im not suffering with my back just yet fred, but i do suffer with pain in both shoulders unfortunatly i can only rectify mine with surgery and at the moment i cant afford to have time off.

I slouch quite a bit from being top heavy and unfit lol but what I find works is a thai or sports massage costs about £90 for 90 minutes odd and as you said it hurts like mad but the next day your shoulders feel 10ft wide and you feel about 7ft tall its brilliant

What method or name of massage was it fred?

No name and the method was find the problem and force it out of the body

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Im not suffering with my back just yet fred, but i do suffer with pain in both shoulders unfortunatly i can only rectify mine with surgery and at the moment i cant afford to have time off.

The ancient civilisations only used surgery as a last resort mate

Im past last resort mate, scrap heap for me....lol lol.
Just need to sort my other prob, i keep stalking scaffs....lol

How interesting. I am actually qualified in a number of holistic therapies, reflexology etc. Never heard of this but absolutely wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if we have a western equivalent.

Whatever works is good in my book. Not everything works for everyone and its great that you found something for you. I have been to an osteopath before now and had good results. Never fancied chiro (I hear its more painful).

The trouble is (as you have alluded to here) massage does have connotations but for people doing very manual work, or even desk bound stressers, should have massage maybe once a month.

The whole point of these therapies is to use them as a sort of maintenance rather than wait until things have got so bad. They should be seen as preventative therapy.

Anyway, good for you, HSWT. Lets hope it helps in the long term. (As an aside, I had a back massage on the beach in Thailand and got my shoulder completely f**ked up - so beware also!)

Some good points there Rosie.
Asians have regular massage and it helps to cure a lot of things. If my daughter has a cold and cough the woman comes massages her and next day it is gone.
I was talking to her and she said a lot of problems are cased by blood not running through veins properly and the massage frees this.
I certainly feel 100% improved.
Sorry to hear about your mishap in Thailand. You wont be the only forum member who has come a cropper there!!

So many therapies end up being based on acupressure, which is probably one of the oldest forms of treatment out there.

Its a massive subject and I know a little. Its all to do with meridian lines that run up and down our bodies (14 of them, if I recall) relating to our various organs.

Not only that, energy flow has to be taken into account (sluggish or too much), so treatment then gets based on speeding up/ slowing down the meridian that comes before or comes after the one that is affected... on top of which, the 5 elements come into play!!

Eastern/ asian peoples are brought up just knowing how to do this stuff and everywhere you go, therapeutic massages are on offer. Us westerners (imo) have exploited it and these beautiful countries now have the reputation of cheap "happy ending" services... shame really.

Energy/ blood flow - kind of the same really. Free the "block" (its not a physical block many times... more metaphysical/emotional) and your body works as it should.

As I am sure many of the time served scaffs on here do I have suffered from back pain for years.
I have also suffered from numbness in one leg as a result of hard graft.
I have never been one for chiropractors or physiotherapists and most of the massages I have had have been "happy ending" ones !
I was told about a woman here who can cure back pain so I thought I would give it a whirl. I had a chat with her and she said she finds trapped nerves, disc problems etc and forces them out of the body. Upper back pain through the shoulder and lower pain through the ankle. I was sceptical about this but thought anything is worth a go.
She started off with the upper back and nothing as I have only suffered with lower back problems. She then started on the lower body section. She found a painful area just at the base of my spine and started pushing and kneading downwards. The pain ended up at the back of my knee. Another hour of pushing and kneading the pain was in my ankle and was excrutiating. She kneaded my ankle and the pain went.
The result was a lot of bruising and it was difficult to walk the next day. Now 2 days later all back pain and leg numbness has completely gone which is a relief after several years of suffering.
Any members tried different methods to cure or ease back problems?

Just get pissed every night.

Works ok for me.

I'm not sure it would work for a glass back scaffy. :)

I thought I was in for a lifetime of putting up with a bad back and numerous complaints we all either suffer from or eventually will. I have been going to a Natural Therapy Centre now for a couple of years now and he has worked wonders. To start with it's all pulling and hauling at you and pretty much throwing you round the room like a rag doll, now it's more servicing like acupuncture which I always thought was a load of mince but this guy has changed my attitude about a lot of things. Diet for one, you only ever get out what you put in. I'm no slim shady but I have made quite a few adjustments to what I eat, and obviously the water thing is huge in keeping supple. The young team will think it's all guff, but as you get older you have to be more aware. If I was doing it again, there would be a couple of changes I would make and trying to be a super hero would be the first thing to go.

I had sciatic pain like you describe Fred, from a trapped nerve between discs which manifests itself as shooting pains down the back of your leg(s).
Anyway, after watching what I was doing, lifting things in the correct way and stopping trying to be superman (you get no thanks for it anyway) it went away.
I was doing a wee job just before Christmas and had a guy labouring to me that wasn't a scaff (you know the type, scared to let go of the handrail on a fully boarded lift) and he couldn't punt gear above his waist. I ended up bending away down to take gear off him and now the sciatica's back with a vengeance.:(

Ur dead right the back after all these years is knackered, buf ive found a really good chiropractor who bends & buckles me about -costs around £55 for 30mins.
but ive also found a cream that actually looks like green toothpaste called biofreeze (£9 per tube from Boots) & its the DBs -just dont scratch ur goolies after using it lol

My back and shoulders are fcuked from work and the gym, would you recommend a chiropractor or some sort of massage?

Top Bottom