Another North Sea Ditch!

J

Jason-Gibbs

Breaking news.
ANOTHER Helicopter ditches.

Helicopter Ditches near Shetlands.

Reports say that 15 have been rescued... 3 unaccounted for.
Hearts and hopes go out to those boys out there and their families at home.

Hope all are recovered safe and well.

i was just about to start the same thread i was out driving and heard it on the news.
as jason said thoughts and prayers with the families of the missing men/women
this is the same type thats just been brought back into service after 2 ditches last year and one catastrophic the year before(i think )
BASIC RATE 2500 ROUGHLY A TRIP IS IT WORTH IT ?

Yes It Is Happy, Iv Put My Life On The Line More Than Once For A Lot Less Mate. Every Time I Jumped Out Of A Hercules Transport Or A Poxy Helicopter Or On Some Crappy Excersize Where You Had To Do A River Crossing At Three In The Morning For What £35 A Day I Must Have Been Off My Goddam Rocker.

You must have been and i salute you and your like,but try telling that to the families when lives are being put at risk for the sake of oil conglomerates

Hope all get home safe

i was just about to start the same thread i was out driving and heard it on the news.
As jason said thoughts and prayers with the families of the missing men/women
this is the same type thats just been brought back into service after 2 ditches last year and one catastrophic the year before(i think )
basic rate 2500 roughly a trip is it worth it ?

i supose it just 1 of those things you could get t boned on the way to work more chance of that happening and ditching in north sea i think

Thoughts and well wishes to those who are rescued. And i hope with all my heart the other three are found soon.....

I Know Happy, The Fact Is I Agree With You Totally No Person Should Ever Be Placed In So Much Danger, Thats A Fact.

no worries Ger i know your feelings more or less the same as mine on most things,but as far as the working man i know we are on the same path;)

When i did my BOSIET and HUET, EBS last week, we was told that statistically your still safer on a North Sea Chopper then going to work in your car, but it seems a pattern that keeps happening lately.

Something definitely needs addressing with these Helicopters.

BBC SCOTLAND NEWS has just stated that it was the SAME TYPE THAT DITCHED WITH 16 DEATHS 2 YEARS ago.There is an issue with the GEARBOXES but surely the money that is generated in the offshore sector SAFETY SHOULD HAVE NO COST
AGAIN THOUGHTS WITH THE FAMILIES

The industry had a major shake up after the piper alpha incident , where many lost their lives " rip to the personel". So surly after another helicopter that is used for transport to carry these men and women ditches in the north sea again, saftey should now be concentrated on the transport side.
Thoughts go out to all families concerned...

Just seen the news , rescue has recovered 3 bodies.
heart breaking news , may they Rest In peace and condolences to their family's and loved ones.

Terrible news, might take the death of a woman to improve the offshore transport safety, read loads of threads on here of blokes complaining about the upkeep of these helicopters,the money these oil companies make their is no excuse!

My heart goes out to the families who have lost their loved ones. Thats 4 in 4years that have ditched, its time they scrapped this type of chopper.

Everyone in the oil sector from top to bottom need to take a stand and refuse to travel in a puma helicopter. Once is a tragedy, two, three and four times comes down to human stupidity. There is a problem with these machines. Stop putting people's lives at risk!

This is on my Facebook feed, so I thought I'd share it with you all here:

"We live and work in conditions that are a few steel bars away from a jail cell, we live and work apart from our loved ones, we live and work for our loved ones. We sacrifice our lives to earn a wage so that we and the people we love can have a better life.

We're trained, skilled and safe. We know our rigs and colleagu...es like no other industry. We have to.

I signed a contract, I signed it knowing full well the rig I was going to work on could potentially be dangerous, but that's what I was trained for.

However...my contract fails to mention the dangers I face just getting there, and I'm sure if most other people consulted their contracts there will be little mention of this either.

Norway wouldn't have this, they insisted on the new S92 choppers, their workforce demanded it and the government and oil operators listened.

Now it's time for our oil operators and government to step up and help the single biggest supplier of revenue to this country. Oil companies make millions upon billions of pounds, it's invested in new fields and new projects. A huge investment is required in making sure their employees are brought to and from their workplace safely. No expense should be spared. The best helicopters the world has to offer should be bought.

In the mean time the government should be looking to use the RAF to ensure that dads, sons, brothers, daughters and mums are brought home during what will no doubt be a backlog as big as the "Ash cloud" incident.

If you agree...Share this status. The more the better, get people talking about this helicopter situation before in a few months time its "just another ditching" and the "investigation's concluded".

Another tragic accident, my condolences to the families and friends of these 4 unfortunate souls, may they rest in peace

Last edited:
Top Bottom