andvanced do you need it

oiley

Reaction score
as above do u need your advanced ticked to get on the rigs?

ok thanks do me servial how ever u spell that :)

Didn't they take part 1's over the christmas period when they said that it would probably be the only trip they were offering? (sorry I cannot remember who offered the work)

Its not imperative, but its handy to have.

Id say yes.

Scaffolding in 2012 is: More tickets = More job opportunities.
Get as many cards behind you as possible and you WONT be out of work over the recession. ;)

You are right Jason. But unfortunately it is a sad reflection of the state of todays construction industry.
Companies will prefer to employ workers who have just attended courses and have a large collection of certificates rather than highly experienced people who have been too busy getting the job done to spend hours sat in a classroom.
This is why the construction and HSE industries are today full of people who have degrees etc. but no practical experience at all. If the job could be done from a book or computer thats all well and good but it cant.

Its not imperative, but its handy to have.

Id say yes.

Scaffolding in 2012 is: More tickets = More job opportunities.
Get as many cards behind you as possible and you WONT be out of work over the recession. ;)

make you right jason but theres a fair few out there with all the tickets not sayin all but a fair few!!! they may be the bo!!ocks and no all the weight barrings and read drawings like there the beano but when it comes to scaffolding there just not sure i would rather have a olde school scaffolder with no tickets that knows hows to throw up a scaffold and make it safe to work on rather than a drawing exspert and ticketed scaffolder thats done the short courses and fooks about all morning on hes tape yeap tickets make jobs but no for the right reasons

You are right Jason. But unfortunately it is a sad reflection of the state of todays construction industry.
Companies will prefer to employ workers who have just attended courses and have a large collection of certificates rather than highly experienced people who have been too busy getting the job done to spend hours sat in a classroom.
This is why the construction and HSE industries are today full of people who have degrees etc. but no practical experience at all. If the job could be done from a book or computer thats all well and good but it cant.

totally agree with you , 100%. bit of catch 22 though for employers starting out... cash flow et
:huh:

Are they too busy getting the job done ?? or too lazy or tight to spend money doing the courses ??

I know I'm small time but should employers not take a bit more responsibility for training men?

The off-shore industry was one of the worst for years, they didn't recognise the current citb certification and you were required to do a trade test in their yard which was a total joke but they could then keep their training budget down.

I also realise the movement of men would make it difficult too invest in some but surely more people would have hung around their first job longer if they were advancing in their trade?

True, but most people are asking and looking in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Did anyone who took the Christmas trip ever come back to tell us how they went?

I Would Say That To Work Offshore Your Advanced Card Is Not A Must Have, But After A Certain Time Frame I Would Put Myself Through The Course, In My Kind Of Work (Construction) Its Really Not Needed, Although Some Of The Larger Construction Companies Even On Timber Kit Housing Projects Are Demmanding An Advanced Card, What The Hell For Baffles The Crap Out Of Me, If You Have A Cisrs Card And Cant Erect A Scaffold Round A Timber Kit Properly You Really Shouldnt Be Doing This Job.

||You need advanced to have proof your capable of reading the drawings

jb79

Same here dont, have advanced card and it never stopped me erecting offshore or any where else for that matter...

SGB 1972...CITB 1978

Experience V Qualifications = Catch 22...

Are they too busy getting the job done ?? or too lazy or tight to spend money doing the courses ??

Can only speak for myself but too busy achieveing million dollar a month profits for companies to go on courses. I would like to think that the companies will send me on a few courses when the job is done but experience tells me its on to the next or see you.

i have being working offshore last few years on and off you dont need itto get start but it does help. i mind on the buzzard few years back they had a trainee on wasnt allowed to do overside work and such tho but its good way to get trained up rather than on cuplok kwikstage etc that you see a lot of

Top Bottom