Agencies not providing PPE

Been nice chatting to you oiley, but must get some some shut eye cos this pooh scaffolder has a 7 o'clock Saturday & Sunday start on his blue book site working for a "really big firm". :laugh:

If your work for a agencie your bad at your job because i work for a big firm and they have used many agenies before and the lads have been poo

I disagree... some blokes are suited to Agency work.
But, yes - some are not that good, hence the Agency work and some ARE decent and reliable.

Theres chancers on both types.

Ive worked with a 'Part 2' Scaffolder who worked for a well known Firm and 20+ years who could NOT hemp a 21ft at knee height.

Ive worked with a 'Advanced' Scaffolder who worked for an Agency who could NOT base out a simple Independent Scaffold.

Are you poo Jason?

No mate, i dont think so - though others might disagree, lol.
I get asked quite often if i want to come on direct for a particular Firm, if im Agency and working for them.

Am i perfect??? Not by a long shot.
Im decent and reliable and i have all the right tickets - JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE - Agency or Direct.

Agency? Direct? Pah ---> Money is money and in this day and age none of us can be picky.
Ive worked for good Agencies, like Octain and ForeFront and bad ones like Coyles... the ones i continue to work for are the ones who treat me good.
Same as a Firm.

Theres 2 things that i think dictate whether you get on in Scaffolding and its NOTHING to do with how good you are.

1. If your face DONT fit - you could be Micky Popov and your will not get on.
  2. If your willing to do anything to get in the good books, including grassing and such, then maybe if your lucky - you will.

Theres really good reliable Scaffolders out there, who are struggling for work atm and ALL of us (myself included) are lucky to be working. :)

I know that, It's the drivel that you spewed after you donkey that I'm on about.

Say it how it is Swifty ha ha ha.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Oiley the reading bit comes into play when they give you a drawing,and the writing comes into play when your signing the scafftag off.I THINK.

The new rule comes in for agencys april 2012

if you work 12 weeks in a row

the agency becomes your employer and they must pay holiday pay, stat holidays, and supply ppe aswell

well you might aswell say youve got 11 weeks work then!!! then pop back after a week when they need you again!!! easter comeing and the may day breaks and i believe the queens jubilee snooze snooze!! so if your self employed it must take a toll on wages for these next 2 months atleast if your paye you get something!!!!

Ya mate.
Im usually self employed and try to get work over Easter each year to help things...

Except this year as with any luck ill be in Algeria by then banging out 10 hour days in 30+ degrees heat! :)

sorry lads was only messing about and mr gibbs like you :)

if you work for an agency you are normally self employed, therefore your ppe is your responsability

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

scaffolding firms are transferring their men to agencies to protect themselves from bogus, no win no fee claims, the men are subbed to you so your liability is greatly reduced.

take oneself in to a quiet corner and reflect on your opinion and think long and hard at what one as just said the word yorrith comes to mind .scc

Ya mate.
Im usually self employed and try to get work over Easter each year to help things...

Except this year as with any luck ill be in Algeria by then banging out 10 hour days in 30+ degrees heat! :)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Blimey, how did this thread get resurrected? :)

As for buying your own PPE, boots etc... as Big Fish said, keep all your receipts and make a claim for those expenses at the end of the tax year - whether you're self employed or PAYE.

If you had to pay for it, with no reimbursement, you can offset it against tax.

Don't the agencies make some kind of expense allowance in your pay? I don't know if its going to be the correct amount, but I thought there was some?

Top Bottom