ADVICE Please

Dandaps

Reaction score
Hi fellas sorry not been on in a while just can't find the time lately. I come for some advice
we did a scaffold for one of our good customers who deal with insurance claim repairs. This job went up about a month ago 4 lift to front elevation with roof saddle around a large stack which is on the party wall with the neighbours roof which steps down a couple of feet. So we have saddle on one side of stack then a lower saddle on neighbours side then punched up to give a full 4 board run around the stack we have used spreader boards etc and scaff was spot on.
So today I get a phone call from one of this firms subbie brickies at dinner time telling me scaffs gone through neighbours roof and broke the ridges and can we get a gang there today, now bear in mind this job is a good hours drive from our yard I said no chance I can get someone there tomorrow and also told him it's most likely that he's overloaded the scaffold (this scaffold was up for two weeks before got on it with no probs) so the plan was we go over in morning and strip scaffold around stack he does roof repairs then we strip rest of the job. Now then about an hour ago I gets a message from our main customer telling me to leave scaff up as customers complaing about the workmanship of the brickie. So I phoned the brickie and he informs me that he has cut the ledger to gain access to the ridge. I told him he shouldn't be cutting any scaffolding at all he says it's all safe and not to worry. Now this brickie always causes problems undoing things takes rakers out stripping stacks etc.
So tomorrow first thing I'm going down to the offices and finding out what's gone out but I'm debating whether I tell them I never want that man on my scaffold again which in turn could lose him a lot of work. ???? Ps sorry for the long speel

Last edited:
@ Dandabs...a very good speel...I would cite " Unauthorised removal of component parts " for starters and recommend that the Brickie attends a Scaffold Awareness Course, if the Brick persists in tampering he has no excuse and deserves to lose work...

U need to do what ever it takes to cover your own arse i'm afraid...tbh i wouldnt av even thought about going onto the neighbour roof without written concent & a disclaimer stating u were not responsible for any damage caused by either the use or misuse of the scaffolding.
i know u dont wanna hear it but tbh without a drwg or calcs for the scaffold all of which shoulda been within the ram package if it ever got nasty u aint got a leg to stand on. Sometimes these smaller jobs just arnt worth the hassle for the renumeration recieved.& u know the brickie will only lie about both cutting & overloading the scaffold.
good to see ya back on the forum & goodluck wiv it

He's fooking dangerous mate n not only to himself. Understand where ur coming from though. Very good advice there from Garry. Gud Luk bud.

Go down to the site and start tearing his brickwork to pieces. He should get the message

Well went to the job today and its the worst ive ever seen. He's cut two ledgers, left a board hanging where wind could take it and even undone one of the saddles taking the checks off. I told main contractor I never want him on any of our scaffs again. First class knob. He has a lad working for him who thinks because he used labour for a scaff once upon a time he can start undoing things.

any scaffold adapted by a anybody else other than a quallifed scaffolder from you company should be struck and rebuilt and the contractors cost as you cant now hand it over fully knowing that to youre knollage its safe to work on

Hopefully in you quote you put "not responsible for damage to the roof although we will take care etc " failing that when you handed over the scaffold to the end user and they inspected it, it became their responsibility along with loading issues , hopefully you did that and have the HOC to prove it.

Never trust people who place bricks on top of each other all day for a living. If they told me the sun was shining I'd look out of the window to be sure.

Top Bottom