Advice from fellow offshore scaffs...

Registering for self employment (CIS) is, as said, the most obvious route to get fill in work. It does take some weeks for your UTR number to come through so you'd be paying 30% tax but that can adjusted and claimed back after 6th April.

You do need to check with Cape though. If they are paying you stand by, again, as stated already, they'll be pretty upset if you aren't standing by. So another PAYE job is not really an option as your offered labour could be quite sporadic and limited.

If they are not paying you and there's nothing in your contract to say otherwise and you can get another PAYE job - there is no HMRC law against this. You can have as many jobs as you like, provided all your employers are ok with it.

Your tax code would be split across employments so that the correct tax and NI is deducted.

Of course, I would say to opt for self-assessment tax returns as you can then sort out any work expenses against each employment. If you work for Capes, chances are you should be claiming some tax back anyway for mileage and maybe other stuff. If you do go down the self employment route, you'd need to be completing a tax return anyway.

As always, if you need any advice on any of this, call us up. Number is just down there!

Registering for self employment (CIS) is, as said, the most obvious route to get fill in work. It does take some weeks for your UTR number to come through so you'd be paying 30% tax but that can adjusted and claimed back after 6th April.

You do need to check with Cape though. If they are paying you stand by, again, as stated already, they'll be pretty upset if you aren't standing by. So another PAYE job is not really an option as your offered labour could be quite sporadic and limited.

If they are not paying you and there's nothing in your contract to say otherwise and you can get another PAYE job - there is no HMRC law against this. You can have as many jobs as you like, provided all your employers are ok with it.

Your tax code would be split across employments so that the correct tax and NI is deducted.

Of course, I would say to opt for self-assessment tax returns as you can then sort out any work expenses against each employment. If you work for Capes, chances are you should be claiming some tax back anyway for mileage and maybe other stuff. If you do go down the self employment route, you'd need to be completing a tax return anyway.

As always, if you need any advice on any of this, call us up. Number is just down there!

You learn something new everyday. Thanks better tax, another wrinkle in my ar5e. Knew someone would have an answer for the chap.

Well done

This the classic case of anyone who is not in the union if you were a member of the OILC union they would have cleared this mess up with one phone call, as per your T&C offshore
Do not delay join up today
01224 210 118

Hey,
If any of you good chaps out there could throw some advice my way, I would be very grateful.

I'm a 28 year old part two Scaff, undergoing my advanced with full survival & boat transfer blah blah blah.
I've been trying for 16-17 months to get that first trip away offshore, be it platforms or wind farms, but to no avail.
It seems experience is key, as opposed to giving some one a chance to gain any experience.
Is there anybody having or had similar issues & can maybe give some good advice.
I'm all ears.
Many thanks.

Hey,
If any of you good chaps out there could throw some advice my way, I would be very grateful.

I'm a 28 year old part two Scaff, undergoing my advanced with full survival & boat transfer blah blah blah.
I've been trying for 16-17 months to get that first trip away offshore, be it platforms or wind farms, but to no avail.
It seems experience is key, as opposed to giving some one a chance to gain any experience.
Is there anybody having or had similar issues & can maybe give some good advice.
I'm all ears.
Many thanks.

It's nothing that hasn't been said already mate, keep at them offshore is picking up. I phoned the "big 3" once a day and a couple of emails a week and have been doing it since February, then earlier this week they rang me I go off in a couple of weeks keep at them. All the best.

Top Bottom