Advice from fellow offshore scaffs...

WheresThatGoneDan

Reaction score
Im working for offshore for cape. Ive been told theres no work until mid Jan. So im still employed but not earning...
If i was to go on the books for a local firm, would this affect my employment with cape, ive been told if cape find out ill loose my job with cape. ..

Can anyone shed some light, please....

What does your contract say? Things may have changed but I doubt it very much, all the offshore boys have something on the side.

simple apply for a utr No from the tax office and go self employed in your own time not a thing they can do about it

as steel city and 1980 stated correctly cash or self employed they wont know.
if you are getting stand by money relax and the presents wrapped,if not then you are your own man and have every right to earn money.
if you are on stand by and want to get even more cash SHAME ON YOU as you will be doing someone out of graft at a bad time of the year;)

Not getting stand by as far as i know, and cash isnt an option,
Im not being greedy but 8 weeks is a long time with no income.
Thanks for all replys.

if theyve no work then have to pay you off with any moneys due
or pay you stand by if you get a p45 then yer bumped WANNKERS will and have sat by idly waiting like a lapdog for the call FEED YOUR FAMILY AND GET THE OTHER WORK if you are good enough they will get you back
GOOD ENOUGH DOESNT ALWAYS APPLY OFFSHORE AS YOU KNOW
sc cowboy i understand your sentiments but i also have mine;)
all the best DAN

Surely you have a contract which states how many hours per week/month you are contracted to? If they cannot give you work and are not making you redundant then they have to continue payment for your contracted hours.

if they have no where to send you then they either pay you off or pay you stanby as has already been pointed out, take the job and call them back in Jan pal dont worry bout it. rakes of work early next year offshore anyway.

if u aint getin standby u need to ring em cos if they want u to be at the end of the fone when they ring u with a check in for tommoro say then they have to pay u standby there is no inbetween standby or paid off.like some of the lads have said its a regular thing if u r jumping about rig to rig and its not usually long before they are on theon the fone again

as steel city and 1980 stated correctly cash or self employed they wont know.
if you are getting stand by money relax and the presents wrapped,if not then you are your own man and have every right to earn money.
if you are on stand by and want to get even more cash SHAME ON YOU as you will be doing someone out of graft at a bad time of the year;)

Are you serious?since when did giving up a job so others can have it creep into this country,must have been off sick the day they taught that

If you are on for cape you will get a standby rate of £8.99 per hr if it hasnt changed. Not a lot but some blokes are at home grafting all day for less. Where are you working whtg?

So Cape won't **** me off if decide to go and work on the books for another firm?.

I think they would if you couldn't make your check in, for the reason of working for another company. I think also you are not allowed to work direct for 2 companies by law. If so you pay a higher tax as its classed as a second income by the H.M.R.C. Maybe wrong on this? Cis you can work as many as you wish. If you ring H.R they will tell you no you cant. Just inquire but dont give names.
Watch also what you put on your facebook account as I know of people who have been sacked by the fore mentioned reading status'. Saying the company is tripe and have been working elsewhere.
Just a heads up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom