Advanced Scaffolders Course

Fair enough Lambert, we all make our own decisions.

cantilever drop is now on your advance i think..

I did the Dead shore,Raking shore, Flying shore and Hexagon then just class room work.

Seen a good Raking shore on BBC news the other morning, T&F outside a burnt out building from the 'Riots', by TONE scaffolding, nice tidy job.

TONE Scaffolding, from what i hear aint a bad firm... Pay aint great, but they do get half decent work.

I know that at Heathrow T5, they absolutely slaughtered Palmers, with how organised they was and stuff.

Any course i send my lads on,i pay their wages while their away,with the grants,its almost covered,the biggest loss is the loss of a good man for two weeks,and were a small firm,so tell your tight arse boss to get your wages in the bank,its the least he can do,and dont worry about your course,because you would'nt be sent if you were'nt capable,if you can read a drawing you'll have no problems,in fact if your any good you'll be expected to carry at least one of the lesser talented lads through,and good luck;)

Lambert

"I actually had to sign a form to say if in two years i leave i have to pay for the course but to be honest it a small family company so to pay the wages of the lads on top of the course is a lot to expect and we had the choice so cant complain"

Think your Gaffer is pulling the wool over your eyes a little,He will claim a fair amount back from the CITB, and also right off the residue in his tax returns

You are working (training) for two weeks without pay say £1,000, and any other out of pocket expenses, so you should be not be held to ransom for two years maybe with no pay raises and being "put on" more than you should.

If you are happy with it fair play,

but if your gaffer ask's for the money for the course to be, for any reason, repaid,

A) tell him you signed under duress
B) That you contributed by not being paid wages and expenses
C)The CITB contribution to be deducted
D)The agreement should have been on a sliding scale 75% after 6 month,50% after 1 year,25% after 18 month and nil after 2 years

C) section 9 of the "Healyh & Safety at Work Act 1974" states...

That an employer may not charge his employees for anything done, or quipment provided for Health and Safety purposes

HASAW Act 1974

9 Duty not to charge employees for things done or provided pursuant to certain specific requirements..

No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions

Does Training not come under this..........:(

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Rigger beat me to it...... good man.

th_AnimatedGIF-BouncingSmiley.gif

Yes, lol.

Anyway.
On your Advanced, i found the most challenging part was the Staircase.
It was more then a normal Staircase, but a complete Stairtower with run offs and you had little room for error when it comes to your measurements, as if you measured one side of the stringers wrong, even by a few inches the other set of stringers would not fit.

The fabled Flying Shore was fairly easy, as was the Ramp.
I enjoyed the Raking Shore, though theres little way to erect it safely as its so small and the tubes are at funny angles, too close to even get a single board in.

I did:

A Hanger. (Hung off of Steels.)
A Temporary Roof.
A Raking Shore.
A 'Push and Pull' Shore (Basically like an Independent with a Buttress.)
A Flying Shore.
A Ramp.
A Staircase. (But bigger then the usual ones.)
A Heavy Duty Shore, with U-Heads.
A Haki Staircase.

I found it as hard as the Part 2, maybe even LESS of a challenge then the Part 2.

Either way, you'll love it.
Enjoy the 2 weeks off work. :)

Looking forward to it, I'm on mine at Erith on the 5th December :D

TONE Scaffolding, from what i hear aint a bad firm... Pay aint great, but they do get half decent work.

I know that at Heathrow T5, they absolutely slaughtered Palmers, with how organised they was and stuff.

Jason, Tone have a job round my way believe it or not. I thought at the time it was strange as it was just a tiny amount of all round buttressed for a line crossing. It's obviously a national agreement but you would think there would of been cheaper subbing that one out to a bit more local firm or will there be a clause in a contract like that forbidding out sourcing?

Back to the topic, we always pay for courses on full wages the young team get digs and the last guy to get his advanced wanted to travel every day due to all the early finishes so he got use of the company fuel account for the fortnight admittedly he did use his own van.

shouldn't have to pay for your training, no training no work. I know people who have had to take 2 weeks hols to go on courses. your boss should pay for all your courses, he cannot deduct anything from your pay without your permission.
an yes he will be susidised for all courses.

Top Bottom