advanced scaffold inspection

jakdan

Reaction score
Simian or anyone else that can answer?

I sat the Simian ASI 2 day in february 2007. With the advent of the (CISRS) ASI, is my ticket still valid and is it of the same standing as the above?
I believed it to be for 5 year and all i have is a certificate with nothing stamped on my adv scaffold card. Will clients and "future employers" accept it, or will i and countless others have to resit the training at more cost? Even though i inspect scaffolds on a daily basis.

Could you please also tell me what the "Safe Management of Scaffold Operations" is equivalent to? with more management and supervisors cards and training coming out.

I am all for training but i feel we are spending more time worrying about what we are covered for, rather than just getting on with the job.

This is not a rant:nuts: i and others i suspect just need to know.

cheers jakdan

Don't know about the one you did mate, but my adv inspection is on a seperate CISRS card, same as CISRS scaff card type of thing..

I did my basic inspection at safety and access, my adv at UTN, I'm sure the CISRS recognised was the adv not the basic, without the card its just a in house certificate, not 100% sure, but the CISRS carded one basic or adv has got to be the best option..

I think that is the way of it Cassie, we were offered and booked the same training as jakdan with a local provider only to discover the hse would only accept cisrs. There was much moaning and grating of teeth when I told them to stick their bill up their cooncil gritter. In addition to that, during a recent meeting with hse they informed all that they would only accept an advanced carded scaffolder to inspect jobs so you might as well throw all your inspectors tickets in the bin.

well i done a course with capes and i have a certificate with citb reconised all over it so i suppose this is not being reconised now you should be able to send your certificate off and get like for like we all no whats safe with a scaffold not some sight manager thats sits a short course and nos nothing about scaffolding we dont sit in there office telling them how to run there sights or jobs as we ante got a clue the same as them. with scaffolding if there that clued up get them to put some spanners on!!!!!!

I keep hearing this - you can only inspect scaffolds if you have an advanced cisrs. Does that mean an end to these lttle hitlers that rip our scaffolds apart for pathetic things? Will provide plenty of work for ex scaffs which is good, but cant see the main contractors leaving it up to ex or present scaffs to inspect their own work without them having their own audits, an doubt if they have advanced CISRS ticket holders on their books .How much are these advanced scaffold inspection 2 day courses ?

I was advised if you are a level 3 nvq and you have done your advanced inspection you don't have to send off for a cisrs inspection card.

Hello couple of questions here:

Q, You have done an ASI with Simian in 2007?

A, Its valid although you did it pre TG20:08 you could not exchange it for a CISRS ADvanced Scaffold Inspection Card as the grandfather rights for these started after November 2008.

This will never be on the back of your card as it is a seperate card altogether.

Its acceptable however some sites may say different. Carillion expect you to have the cisrs advanced card for 5 years and a cisrs advanced scaffold inspection card, thats their preference.

The HSE say competent to build competent to inspect it, how you demonstrate that is up to you and your company. They say scaffolds up to part 2 should be done by a trained scaffolder holding a NVQ2 and complex work as in anything you dont build on a part one and two by a trained advanced scaffolder holding a NVQ3.

To go back to the beginning is: Scaffold inspection refreshers are coming and it will be a one day and a card will have a five year expiry date like the scaffold card.

I have not heard of NVQ3 and Advanced Scaffold inspection.

Capes send people to centres and do a 3 day in house one, beat that.

Simian thanks for the reply. still clear as mud (hse not you)

What stature does the safe management of scaffold hold?

I am all for scaffs doing advanced inspections, but maybe not there own:nuts:

This is taken from the notes on the CISRS Scaffolding Inspection application form.

For a 2 year period following the launch of the CISRS Scaffold Inspection Training Scheme (SITS) courses (4th May
2010 - 4th May 2012) individuals who have previously attended Scaffold Inspection courses with a CISRS approved
provider may be eligible to apply for a CISRS Inspection card. The course must have been comparable to the New
CISRS inspection courses in content, duration and instructor requirements in order to be considered. This will only
extend to retrospective training that was carried out within the period of 4th May 2007 - 4th May 2010. Individuals who have completed a Supervisor Course with a CISRS approved provider, between 4th May 2007 and 4th May
2010, may also be eligible to apply for a Basic Scaffold Inspection card. All CISRS cards issued in relation to
retrospective training will only last for a 2 year period. Following that 2 year period the individual will be
required to successfully complete the CISRS refresher course upon doing so they will be eligible for a 5 year
Inspectors card.
Those non-scaffolders who have not already attended an Advanced Scaffold Inspection course prior to 4
th May 2010
are required to hold the CISRS Basic Inspection Card for a minimum of 2 years prior to attending an Advanced
Course.

Jakdan it appears that because your course was taken in the month before the cut off point (Feb 07)you are not eligible to apply for the new CISRS Inspection ticket on a retrospective basis.

Last edited:
Jakdan the safe management of scaffolding operations is a course for non scaffold operatives who procure and manage scaffolding operations on site

Tell me if im wrong But if your only a basic how can you go to a site and inspect all the scaffold on the F91 to design/droppers/sheeted/as you aint a clue.

Tell me if im wrong But if your only a basic how can you go to a site and inspect all the scaffold on the F91 to design/droppers/sheeted/as you aint a clue.

wouldnt worry about a basic theve got scaffolding exsperience what about
a site manager or a site agent thats not got a glue and can pass a short scaffold inspection course and sighn a f 91 scaffold sheet which is a legal
document to say scaffold is safe when they ante got a clue beats me..

how can you say a basic hasnt a clue???thats taking a man on the merits of his card(which offically is the standerd for all scaffolders)like judgeing a book by its cover.this basic could have 25years experiance and far outweigh your knowledge of the industry,beause you have a ticket to inspect scaffolds dosent mean you will inspect them COMPETANTLY,wether your advance or basic ill always go with realtime experianced guys ALWAYS.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

how many men do you know can set a hanger out ie horse,beam needles,outside pickups,droppers all your makeups done up top so your not fcking about down below??i know plenty of basic lads who can do this allday everyday while operating in some of the most inhospitable conditions to operate in so i wouldnt go knocking basic guys,every bit as good as advance men.

Top Bottom