accident today

timthumb

Reaction score
working erecting scaff today, labourer tripped over a lapped set of boards fell and bruised his ribs hes back in on wednesday and not to badly hurt which really is the main concern

were does the scaff company stand as regards the lapped boards as the scaff wasnt handed over it was hand railed and toe boarded

main contractor is coming down to investigate lapped boards etc

i say the platform was temporary and would have been changed before handing over to the client
as usual time constraints meant we had to finish top lift for hoist people so didnt have time to cut the boards on the bay on this job

easy to say it wasnt handed over but is there a more solid answer or it could be my responsibility and i take the blame that is passed my way

tell him to pick his feet up....

seriously though glad he is ok,could have been nasty.

I seen a bloke trip on a lift one day fall forward and rip his ear of :eek::eek:

thats what the dumb brickie got told by his foreman :laugh::laugh:

I saw a labourer/trainee years back laying the usual 2 board wide lapped run of boards to work off on 2nd lift only he layed a trap and yeah, you guessed it, disappeared straight through the middle of the bay as he walked over them !!! Luckily he wasn't hurt

Nah, probably not.
I saw the same lad fall about 40ft off scaffolding too. I was on phone to supervisor in cabin and he'd jumped up to start stripping handrail and toe boards. He fell arse over tip and managed to grab ledger which swung him inside the scaffolding and he bounced off every lift till he hit the deck in a crumple. It was like slow motion, I said to supervisor gotta go Pauls fallen off scaffolding. I went running over thinking he might be dead as he wasn't moving. As I got closer I heard him say Ooow my fooking leg !!!! True story. He was very lucky, didn't break any bones or owt. Just bruises

So all return boards are now at the same level aswell.. since when? did you have incomplete signage on the structure...

slips, trips and falls, In my opinion i wouldnt say you got much to worry about, its just one of them things, you erect scaffold like that every day , has the lad had any training of any sort, toolbox talks etc etc , is he green as grass or bit experience under his belt, the hse will ask is there another way to avoid this , could you have marked it to make more visible , probably give you some advice they think is relevant .

no signage
i read in the nasc guidelines " lapped boards other than returns to be avoided where praticle"

although i will learn from this

guy was a bit inexperienced just passed his apprenticeship exam and coming out for a bit from the yard.......

difficult as boss always likes to send out the least expensive gang possible although it doesnt always pay dividends

So all return boards are now at the same level aswell.. since when? did you have incomplete signage on the structure...

Not been told bout lap boards on returns, but when erecting all dummy lifts to be boarded out fully and single handrail, no working off lapped boards, can pass the boards up to next lift to use again, but all dummy lifts to be fully trannyed out, but sounds as though that was a working lift, with toeboards, so have they lapped boards rather than cut them, so wont be sat on the trannys properly anyway.

Young scaffolder with us, after a few pints on Friday night tripped on a curb and smashed his head off a yellow jelly standard. It left him with some eye. Thank god it wasn't one of ours.

I think it will be after the next few days off.:) It would have to be a scaff that was first to split his head open.

A good example of laped boarlds ! click on the side advert for scaffolding local (right hand side )

i would imagine the minimum requirement of any one on site is look where your going.

Personally i havent got a problem with lapped brds & we often do it but screw them down. Unless otherwise asked by the MC will cont to do so -its a total waste of time & resources when you consider the returns have to be lapped - personnally think its just overzelous h&s freeks trying to justify there positions.

Top Bottom