A Very Basic Question (Sorry)

SafeGLO

Reaction score
Gentleman, first please excuse my using what is an expert's forum for get basic questions answered, however I'm not a scaffolder, just a person who is trying to stop a scaffolder pulling the wool over my eyes, I think. He has erected scaffolding around my property using transoms made of batons of wood. Not only that but these batons are simply layed acros the legders (right word??) but not in any way affixed to them. I maintain this is (a) not allowed and therefore (b) illegal. Am I right, or should I leave it.

Wikipedia, I'm fairly sure I know what a transom is anyway since they exist in other things, I'm not so sure about identifying the horizontal (lengthwise) tubes as ledgers tho'

I think if you look very carefully you will find that the batons will be nailed to the ledger using 6 inch nails.

Using timber batons as transoms is quite acceptable

A.If its a cash job.
B.If you are a 2 bob Indian scaffold company
C.If you run out of transoms and the job has to be complete before you can go home

for any other reason it is a highly dangerous practice and a total " NO "

Can't see a problem myself as we do it all the time, a good number of our standards are timber too. Have you seen the price of steel lately?

Just pay the man.

Excuse me for seeming thick, but how is the scaffold still standing up if there are no fastened transomes holding the standards together

It's an old method GM but I would say he will probably be using the heavy duty zip ties, great bit of kit.;)

Just about the same time the man's cheque goes in the post, eh.

Sounds like one of them new fangled chinese system scaffolds.

Aye, like the one Superscaff found on e-bay.:laugh:

We did 3 sides of a new build once but didn't go near a gable end as there was high voltage cables right beside it. The safety man who is an ex scaff built a timber one on it and it was minted. All kosher and passed any examination, cheaper than re routing the cables that's for sure.

That was last year a local builder had put it up on the end of an extension he had built to put the roof/guttering on.It was very sturdy,all braced properly just wooden.He called us in to extend it along the gable to put the lead in the valley.
We used t/f and didnt sleeve onto his.

Maybe but not sure that stop end would stand up in court, did philliosmaximus put that one in?

Top Bottom