+

brandy

Reaction score
Notice that a few members have a + after their names, whats it mean.?

Agree Scaff 22. My 2 fingers on a keyboard have never connected to my brain.

Hahaha,& l thought it was just me !!!!
I'd be lost & silent,if l loose my 2 podgy stumps thumping away at this thing !!!

Scaff an brandy

Do you want some good computer learning advice :

Make sure you have a good back of your computer, then one night or wkend or couples hours a night just take off your cotton wool gloves , and have a total mess about with your computer , open,close files an folders , change settings , change file ext , create shortcuts, just click and open any files or folders or links , find event viewer try fixing a flagged event, dont worry about anything , do your best to make it crash, then your best to fix it , and eventually if you manage to get it into a unusable state,

JUST USE THE BACK UP TO PUT IT BACK EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS.

you will be amazed what you will learn , the best way to learn is to break it an fix it, with computers its even better because you have a failsafe in the back up.

I wouldnt suggest doing this with a car or similar tho :nuts:

give it a go.:D

Hi superscaff75.
Thanks for the advice & basically that's what l'm doing. Trying different things & then remembering how l did that. Lost no end of stuff,but seem to find it again lol. Back-up me photos,thoo.
It's just all about practice.
Am now getting to grips with e-mail & attachments,slowly but surely.

you might find local free or very cheap computer courses especially for the silver surfer brigade near you, generally run thru the local council , or some online courses, but my best advice is as above plus i reguarly buy windows magazine aswell. there is also many pc forums where you can find loads of info, microsoft have lots an lots of online workshops to help you use the complete microsoft portfolio of software , they prob easiest to access thru the office programme.

if you ever think bout buying a couple of books , go for the dummies series of books, Example office for dummies, or dreamweaver for dummies , you will know which ones i mean when you see them lol they generally yellow.

AND OF COURSE IF IN DOUBT ASK :D

Thanks Superscaff for the advice, but it would have to be totally idiot free and even at that I'd struggle. Do often be sitting having a pint and me mates might start talking about computers megga bytes, viruses, downloads, uploads, and I'm expecting to be launched into space at any time. I'm a good reader, good at maths, can play chess, but with technology I'm a real thicko.

Superscaff have tried what you said but now I have 2 green wires and 4 screws left any idea what I might have done LOL

Blimey, Superscaff, thats a real learning curve, doing it that way!! Backing up is something to do as a regular thing anyway (not to self: do the backup!) & I agree also, it's best to just take a casual tour round and see what does what - I am self taught too, back in the days of DOS!

I also teach PC skills to, mainly more mature students :D and it is totally a confidence and practise thing. Also, you gotta have an interest in something with the computer - you can't just say "I want to learn the computer".

Email and attachments, (who said that up there?), I've just been teaching this but using Hotmail and Yahoo accounts, which vary very slightly. I have got a hand out I made but not sure if I can upload it anywhere here - I'll scout about, unless someone can tell me :).

Certainly ask any questions here, some of us are pretty techie and can help, or at least point you in right direction.

SF Admin maybe bettertax has a little idea in the making there,

we could have a techno cafe in the off topic section for help with computer basics for the silver surfer lol .

obviously not to include scaffold related computer information. :unsure:

we could have a techno cafe in the off topic section for help with computer basics for the silver surfer lol .

Yeah maybe your right

Usually I just point people in the general direction of this thread for forum related queries -
http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/scaffolders-forum/1263-scaffolders-forum-help-faq-post.html

but for other pc related enquiries a new section maybe useful

Would definitely be interested in that as long as I dont get homework.

How much for a full hog brekkie in this Cafe mate ?;)

The Campbeltown school system tried for nearly 10 years to get anything to stay in my head before finally admitting defeat and being quietly relieved every time I would sneak out early. What chance has the forum caff got.:eek:

Top Bottom