7.5 tonner in 3rd lane?

Dandaps

Reaction score
Just had one of our guys pulled by the fuzz, for being in the 3rd lane on motorway, they gave him £60 fine and 3 points, I allways thought 7.5 tonners where allowed in 3rd lane if they don't have a restricter on them,
ours doesn't and is exempt from having one. Any body know because he's real pissed about it?

Its a HGV and there not aloud in the fast lane , just out of interest why is you lorry exempt from being restricted to 56 MPH

Its a HGV and there not aloud in the fast lane , just out of interest why is you lorry exempt from being restricted to 56 MPH

I did'nt know you could be exempt,i would check that one out,as i've been done for not having one of my 7.5t restricted,and they need calibrating:unsure:

dunno phil just says on plate speed restrictor exempt.
been reading a few trucking forums and there seems to be a bit of a grey area, if it plated between 3.5 - 7.5 and doesn't have speed restrictor it is allowed in fast lane,
I can't seem to find any government info though.

passed MOT last month fine VOSA never said anything on the matter,

puzzles me:confused:

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

found these

3.5t and 7.5t box vehicles - motorway third lane | Motoring discussion | Back Room Forum | Honest John

The TruckNet® UK Drivers RoundTable • View topic - speed limit

I know some of these posts are quite old but has the law changed?

Last edited:
Quote from that site
If it is plated between 3500 and 7500 and IS NOT REQUIRED to be fitted with a Limiter under Reg 36B Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use)Regs 1986 then you can use the outside lane. If Limiter - No.

I didnt think you could use 3rd lane
However if it turns out you can with this vehicle you can be sure it will be a bloody nightmare trying to sort this out. Re the fine and points

If it was my lorry i would be having it restricted lively , scaffolders and fast lorrys dont mix , if they was to crash or cause a crash because of speeding then you might find as the owner you have problem and end up in court , that and the fact they will race the fu ck out of it .

Well I got done for having 11,390 KGs on my 7,500 KG wagon today :eek:

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

I always go in outside lane

They just take the pi ss super how the fu ck they expect us to get a job up with onky 3 tonne of gear on board

Exactly , He asked me if anything had happened since I loaded the wagon that could make it overloaded My reply was , Well it pissed down all last night and them boards is like sponges :nuts: 4 Ton of rain in one night :nuts:

Apparently I was so overloaded its above the spot fine limit so have to go to court , I,ve been working on a good excuse for when they ask me why I had 11.5 ton on my wagon . Im ganna say cos I thought the full 12 might have broke summit :D

yip and guess what , we need to apply for a new one due to change of address, and guess what 18 month ago i told the same vosa man that called today, to fcuk off and go chase some pikies then left him stood at side of road an took off in wagon, then refused to meet him for a meeting .

not good :eek:

Fack me and i thought i had a problem.

It is fast phil does over 80 but bought it from anouther scaff firm so thought it was legit. It still might be gonna have to do some research

I got taken to a public inquiry,and had my operaters taken off me,you have to stand in court in front of the traffic commissioner,it's pretty serious when you get to that stage,cost me feckin thousands,b,stards:(

Yeah I know I was there 3 year ago , I just dont feckin learn me :cry:

Feck it super,you better start saving mate,get the new one in your mam's name:nuts:it's bad enough being a scaffold contracter as well as being a fecking haulage contracter,i'm drowning in a sea of bullsh*t ffs:mad:

contact vosa they have a legal duty to help and assist. If you can then you have the full right to appeal. if it was a proper traffic copper tread carefully but ask for there competence. that would be nice on the other foot. hope you get off with it. when i drove them unrestricted I used all 3 lanes but I aint sure on that 1 anymore. Good luck with it. worth persuing.

I thought if the wagon is older than a 51 plate no restrictor was needed

you'd best do some digging on the Ministry of transport site and find out facts before jumping into the defence.

Top Bottom