45° angle for a Staircase Stringer..?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Morning fellas.

Just a quick (and more then likely silly) question...

Staircases.
Now i usually go for a 45° angle (ish) with the Stringers that carry the Stairtreads.
I know others might do it different, but i like it at 45°.

To get this i usually X (times) the height by 1.45 to get the 45° (ish) angle.
I find it helps if i wanna whack a kicker in the job too and dont have a cutter available. The kicker will be the same length as the height after the Stringer goes in. ;)

Just wondering... is there an easier way or another way to work out a nice, neat 45° angle for my Stringers?

Hi Jason - on a similar note I've just posted a similar thread query in the designers forum. The good news is 45 deg is fine.

Easiest way to form 45 deg is length = height. I.E. if its a 3m lift then the Hz length is also 3m. Run the stringer from bottom to top corner and you have your 45 deg.

Mine usually are based on the length of staircase. Which is also based on height of lifts eg
5ft lifts 12ft long
7ft lifts 13.5ft
10ft lifts 16ft long

45 degrees about right

Hi Jason - on a similar note I've just posted a similar thread query in the designers forum. The good news is 45 deg is fine.

Easiest way to form 45 deg is length = height. I.E. if its a 3m lift then the Hz length is also 3m. Run the stringer from bottom to top corner and you have your 45 deg.

No, i know that! lol.

What i mean is that i work all over the place and sometimes i dont always have a cutter available to cut my Stringers, so i have to kinda 'mix and match' till i get my angle right.

To get 45° I do the formula: H or L x 1.45 = Stringer length.
Is there another prehaps easier way to work it out with getting my phone/calculator out? or carry on like i have been?

Sorry, should have explained it easier. :p

Yes, thats how to do it for 45 degs Jason. Actually its x 1.414...

Not meaning to split hairs but 45deg would leave you with equal risers and tread,which would be incorrect. Treads wider than height.:wondering:

:confused::confused:Ah get it now!

Yes 1.41 is correct to nodes but then you pobably need some oversail to get the fittings on so I'd stick to the 1.45 or 1.5 to keep it simple unless that makes them too long?.

.../...Is there another prehaps easier way to work it out with getting my phone/calculator out? or carry on like i have been?.../... :p

The way to make it easier/quicker would be to knock yourself up a reference table for various rises/goings eg: h=3m .'. @ 45deg L= ~4.24m.

Triangles are a fickle mistress.

Bloody hell jason after that monster @ kingscross i'd thought you'd got the hang of em by now lolol

Slightly of subject gents , would you purchase a level that had a fixed 75degree vial as opposed to one without or the 45degree ?? to use with ladders as we use this angle more ??
I have left myself wide open for abuse I know but at least I didn't suggest the glow in the dark idea !!

RV

how i do it is wait for it lol

hight to centre of ledger from floor,
from outside of standard measure the same distance out and mark it measue from this mark back to ledger.
this will give you the lenght of the stringers.

from there i i place my first step in at the top.so the back of the tread is flush with the outside board lower down if that makes sence

then from the floor make it a comftorbal step at the bottom and

messure centre bolt to center of bolt divide this by 320 this will give you the amount of steps. eg

2000mm between top tread and bottom tread
2000 / 320= 6.25 treads drop the .25
6 x 320 = 1920

2000- 1920 = 80mm diffrence

80mm/ the 6 steps = 13.3 call it 13mm 320 plus the 13mm = 333mm bolt to bolt centers 333 mm gives you a perfect stair case that just for 1 lifts stair cases.

for more than 1 lift follow the same prosess only put your first and top trea os its flush with last board.

dont ask my why i start with 320 first time i had done it it just worked out at 320 detween steps since then i sue that as a marker

i thought i knew somethin bout scaffoldin ,, fcuk , , take mt hat off marra ;]

fuckin hell marra , ure in the wrong game , thats far too complicated for the average scaff,lol

When ur on price u get the nearest tube that looks about right and eye them in and put the treads to suit lol

how i do it is wait for it lol

hight to centre of ledger from floor,
from outside of standard measure the same distance out and mark it measue from this mark back to ledger.
this will give you the lenght of the stringers.

from there i i place my first step in at the top.so the back of the tread is flush with the outside board lower down if that makes sence

then from the floor make it a comftorbal step at the bottom and

messure centre bolt to center of bolt divide this by 320 this will give you the amount of steps. eg

2000mm between top tread and bottom tread
2000 / 320= 6.25 treads drop the .25
6 x 320 = 1920

2000- 1920 = 80mm diffrence

80mm/ the 6 steps = 13.3 call it 13mm 320 plus the 13mm = 333mm bolt to bolt centers 333 mm gives you a perfect stair case that just for 1 lifts stair cases.

for more than 1 lift follow the same prosess only put your first and top trea os its flush with last board.

dont ask my why i start with 320 first time i had done it it just worked out at 320 detween steps since then i sue that as a marker

Or even try the formulae: H/L x 1.45 = Str (Str = Cb-Cb / 320 = Trd) :D

Top Bottom