300 million government cash injection

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

Ok we have seen the announcment this morning but what do you think this cash injection will actually do for you?

David Cameron and Nick Clegg will on Monday unveil a £400m initiative to build up to 16,000 new homes by allowing an acceleration of investment in "ready-to-go" construction sites where work has stalled.

The prime minister and his deputy will hail the initiative, which involves new money and could see the start of building work next July, as a sign of the coalition's determination to reverse the slow rate of house building.

The government's housing strategy, to be launched on Monday, will also include:

• A new scheme, running to hundreds of millions of pounds, to underwrite a small percentage of mortgages for "new-build" homes. The scheme is designed to reduce the size of a deposit, particularly for first-time buyers, by shifting the "loan-to-value" ratio. Banks are currently demanding deposits of up to 20% of the value of a property from first-time buyers.

If the housing market suffered a severe downturn, the taxpayer could ultimately be responsible for a part of the loss under the scheme. But homebuyers would first lose their deposits and the loss to the taxpayer would be shared with the bank.

• An extra £50m on top of the £100m from this year's budget towards an initiative to refurbish empty homes, mainly in deprived areas. Andrew Stunell, the Liberal Democrat communities minister, said there was two years' supply of homes locked up in empty property.

Ministers will use Monday's launch of the housing strategy to say the coalition is working well, despite signs of tension in the run-up to George Osborne's autumn statement on 29 November.

Cameron and Clegg will say the £400m Get Britain Building fund will allow developers to compete for funds to build on sites cleared for development. It is hoped that up to 3,200 of the proposed new properties will be affordable homes and that the initiative will support up to 32,000 jobs.

In a foreword to the government's new housing strategy, Cameron and Clegg say: "By the time we came to office, house building rates had reached lows not seen in peace time since the 1920s. The economic and social consequences of this failure have affected millions: costing jobs; forcing growing families to live in cramped conditions; leaving young people without much hope that they will ever own a home of their own.

"These problems – entrenched over decades – have deepened over the past few years. The housing market is one of the biggest victims of the credit crunch: lenders won't lend, so builders can't build and buyers can't buy.

"That lack of confidence is visible in derelict building sites and endless For Sale signs. It is doing huge damage to our economy and our society, so it is right for government to step in and take bold action to unblock the market.

"With this strategy we will unlock the housing market, get Britain building again, and give many more people the satisfaction and security that comes from stepping over their own threshold. These plans are ambitious – but we are determined to deliver on them."

Stunell told the Guardian the extra £50m to refurbish empty homes would help deprived areas. He said: "There are two years' supply of new homes locked up in long-term empty properties. At a time when we need to get every home back into use, tackling empty homes is a very high priority.

" We are targeting the extra money on areas where there are significant concentrations of empty homes, rather than just places where they are speckled all over the place. There are a surprisingly large number of empty homes even in the most prosperous areas. But the concentration tends to be greater in areas of lower prosperity, and the denser concentrations, where you have five or six out in a street, tend to be very much in areas of deprivation."

Cameron will also say the crisis in the eurozone, which is having a "chilling effect" on the economy, highlights the need to rebalance the economy.

In a speech to the CBI, he will say: "Everyone agrees now that in the past Britain's economy had become lopsided – too dependent on debt, consumption and financial services.

"Well, we are putting that right. We need a different kind of economy and a different kind of growth. If we are to build a new model of growth, we need to give a massive boost to enterprise, entrepreneurship and business creation. Put simply, Britain must become one of the best places to do business on the planet."

Hilary Benn, the shadow secretary of state for communities and local government, said of the proposals to underwrite some mortgages for "new-build" homes: "People are relying on the government to get this right. It would be yet another false dawn if the scheme artificially raised house prices or further risked the stability of banks."

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

What's the catch?

Yes that's what everybody wants to know.
I remember the intrest rates in the early 90's very well.

Ok we have seen the announcment this morning but what do you think this cash injection will actually do for you?

Don't think it will do that much for us as we were never into "House Bashing" anyways...

It will hopefully however drag some of the dog ***** companies that did undertake this kind of work back to where they once were and give us a better chance in our sectors..

Hilary Benn, the shadow secretary of state for communities and local government, said of the proposals to underwrite some mortgages for "new-build" homes: "People are relying on the government to get this right. It would be yet another false dawn if the scheme artificially raised house prices or further risked the stability of banks."

I think that may be the catch right there. I also think that whilst any help is welcomed I'm not sure that underwriting mortgages for new builds is the way to go, is that not the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place?

That been said, I would welcome any help in the trade as we are one of the dog **** companies that do a bit of house bashing and rely on it to keep us going and have done since day 1 but it would be a long time before we would see any affect it might have.

Please forgive me for not getting excited by this speech by Cameron.

Playing at politics again, I have heard many speeches and plans by all the political parties in this land regards housing, talk, talk, talk, and all our major cities are still sh*tholes

We can only spend £400 million to help people into a decent home and help the Construction Industry. (after last year’s cut of £4 billion)

But can afford £37 billion to develop 160 Euro Fighter Aircraft .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shadow Housing Minister Jack Dromey said: "George Osborne is giving back only 10% of last year's £4 billion cut to housing investment to build just 3,200 affordable homes.

"Despite 127 government announcements, more than one a week since the coalition took power, their own figures show a 6% fall in new homes and a 10% increase in homelessness."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The cost of each Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft ordered by Britain has soared by 75 percent due to bad planning and over-optimism, the public sector spending watchdog said Wednesday.(2nd March 2011)
The National Audit Office (NAO) said that while the fighter jet was performing some defence tasks, it is unlikely to reach its full potential as a multi-role aircraft until 2018.
Britain originally ordered 232 Typhoons in the 1980s. The number has been cut by 72, but development costs have risen by a fifth to £20.2 billion ($33 billion, 23.8 billion euros) and support costs have also gone up.
The NAO estimates that each individual aircraft is 75 percent -- or £55 million -- more expensive than originally anticipated and the total programme cost will eventually hit £37 billion.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Prescot saying he would build 250,000 house’s back in 2002

Extract from a speech given by John Prescot to the Labour Party Conference Sept 2002

“For us, healthy, vibrant, local government is a vital component of a civilised society.

Conference, I have always believed in giving people more power over their own lives.

This government gave the people of Scotland, Wales and London the chance to take more decisions for themselves.

The task now is to bring regional governance to England, something I have fought for all my political life.

I am delighted to be the minister that will see it implemented.

And we will introduce legislation to allow the English regions to exercise that choice before the next general election.

Conference, we believe in communities. There is such a thing as society. "By our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone". We believe in the collective provision of public services.

That is Labour's principle of solidarity.

Conference, the communities we will build will have to be sustainable.

That's about more than just bricks and mortar. It's people that hold communities together.

In a real community, you need a good education for your kids and to feel safe in your home. You need a job with the chance to earn a decent wage, a good local doctor, effective policing, community facilities, shops and local transport.

Sustainable means houses with high energy and water efficiency, and high levels of waste recyling.

Homes are at the heart of all communities whether they are urban or rural.
You can't have a community without homes. But you can have a housing estate, which isn't a community.

And in any real community you get a real say in the decisions affecting you.
I spoke to a woman in my constituency who said "John. I love living here. I really do. But not like this."

She didn't like the rubbish and old mattresses piling up outside the empty house next door, the graffiti plastered all over the estate, or the no-go areas in the local park.

She knew what a proper community was. And she knew she wasn't living in one.

And now our New Deal programme is giving communities like hers, power and money to make a real difference. It is renewing some of the poorest neighbourhoods in our country and transforming the lives of their people.

But let's be honest: governments of both sides have failed on housing for decades. We have simply not built enough homes. And there are too many misery estates.

We face different housing problems in different parts of the country.
In London and the south-east there is a desperate shortage of affordable homes.
Some people say that we don't need any more houses in the south-east. Don't need them? Tell that to the people who can't afford to live and work near their families. Tell it to the nurses and teachers forced to move jobs because they can't afford to live anywhere near their work.

In these areas of severe housing shortage, the right to buy is denying families the right to a home. Now, I am not saying we will end the right to buy. No one is seeking to turn the clock back 20 years. But the right to buy undermined - and continues to undermine - social housing in designated housing crisis areas.
When the Tories saw the right to buy causing similar problems in some rural areas, they made exemptions.

So, in those areas, where exploitation and abuse of the system exist, when people suffer as a result, when our public services are undermined, and where the right to buy undermines the right to live in decent conditions, it would be irresponsible not to act.

So we will act.

And we mustn't let the problems of housing shortages in the south take our eyes off different problems elsewhere.

Some areas of the north face collapsing demand.

Streets of good post war houses are being knocked down because there's no one to live in them. People, trapped in negative equity, are living in run-down estates.

And in those most vulnerable areas, unscrupulous landlords - the new Rachmans - are starting to appear. They run down the houses, they exploit loopholes in the housing benefit system to turn a profit, they rip off tenants and they rip off the public. And what's worse they create a breeding ground for the likes of the racist BNP.

To those landlords I hereby serve notice: we are going to bring your days of exploitation to an end.

Conference, housing is at the top of my agenda and I will be announcing to parliament, in the new year, a radical programme - a step change in housing for this country.

We have already invested £5bn in a refurbishment programme to improve the existing housing stock.

And we are rapidly increasing investment in new social housing. Only two weeks ago we increased funding to the housing corporation by a third, to £1.3bn, to build thousands of affordable homes, many of them for key workers.
And we are putting new resources into modern methods of building homes at prices people can afford.

We've already made a start on assisting those areas where the housing market has collapsed with nine multi-million pound projects in the worst areas in the north.

And we are backing that up with new subsidies to regenerate areas of land considered uneconomic for building houses.

Conference, whether people live in housing association or council housing, they deserve decent standards. So today, I am announcing the creation of a new single housing inspectorate under the audit commission, to inspect both sectors.

The Housing Corporation will continue its role of regulating housing associations and play a much bigger part in helping us achieve a transformation of housing in this country.

It will have a major role in the delivery of a quarter of a million extra homes in the four new growth areas in the south-east.

That's a step change.

Conference, I've spoken on many important issues over the years.
But none of them more important than these that touch the lives of all our people.

The right to a decent home. The right to live in a safe and clean environment

The right to a real say in their community. Being a part of society. Building that new society. A fairer and more equal society.”

(My bold Type Rigger)

Last edited:
Please forgive me for not getting excited by this speech by Cameron.

Playing at politics again, I have heard many speeches and plans by all the political parties in this land regards housing, talk, talk, talk, and all our major cities are still sh*tholes

We can only spend £400 million to help people into a decent home and help the Construction Industry. (after last year’s cut of £4 billion)

But can afford £37 billion to develop 160 Euro Fighter Aircraft .

Shadow Housing Minister Jack Dromey said: "George Osborne is giving back only 10% of last year's £4 billion cut to housing investment to build just 3,200 affordable homes.

"Despite 127 government announcements, more than one a week since the coalition took power, their own figures show a 6% fall in new homes and a 10% increase in homelessness."

“The cost of each Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft ordered by Britain has soared by 75 percent due to bad planning and over-optimism, the public sector spending watchdog said Wednesday.(2nd March 2011)
The National Audit Office (NAO) said that while the fighter jet was performing some defence tasks, it is unlikely to reach its full potential as a multi-role aircraft until 2018.
Britain originally ordered 232 Typhoons in the 1980s. The number has been cut by 72, but development costs have risen by a fifth to £20.2 billion ($33 billion, 23.8 billion euros) and support costs have also gone up.
The NAO estimates that each individual aircraft is 75 percent -- or £55 million -- more expensive than originally anticipated and the total programme cost will eventually hit £37 billion.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Prescot saying he would build 250,000 house’s back in 2002

Extract from a speech given by John Prescot to the Labour Party Conference Sept 2002

“For us, healthy, vibrant, local government is a vital component of a civilised society.

Conference, I have always believed in giving people more power over their own lives.

This government gave the people of Scotland, Wales and London the chance to take more decisions for themselves.

The task now is to bring regional governance to England, something I have fought for all my political life.

I am delighted to be the minister that will see it implemented.

And we will introduce legislation to allow the English regions to exercise that choice before the next general election.

Conference, we believe in communities. There is such a thing as society. "By our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone". We believe in the collective provision of public services.

That is Labour's principle of solidarity.

Conference, the communities we will build will have to be sustainable.

That's about more than just bricks and mortar. It's people that hold communities together.

In a real community, you need a good education for your kids and to feel safe in your home. You need a job with the chance to earn a decent wage, a good local doctor, effective policing, community facilities, shops and local transport.

Sustainable means houses with high energy and water efficiency, and high levels of waste recyling.

Homes are at the heart of all communities whether they are urban or rural.
You can't have a community without homes. But you can have a housing estate, which isn't a community.

And in any real community you get a real say in the decisions affecting you.
I spoke to a woman in my constituency who said "John. I love living here. I really do. But not like this."

She didn't like the rubbish and old mattresses piling up outside the empty house next door, the graffiti plastered all over the estate, or the no-go areas in the local park.

She knew what a proper community was. And she knew she wasn't living in one.

And now our New Deal programme is giving communities like hers, power and money to make a real difference. It is renewing some of the poorest neighbourhoods in our country and transforming the lives of their people.

But let's be honest: governments of both sides have failed on housing for decades. We have simply not built enough homes. And there are too many misery estates.

We face different housing problems in different parts of the country.
In London and the south-east there is a desperate shortage of affordable homes.
Some people say that we don't need any more houses in the south-east. Don't need them? Tell that to the people who can't afford to live and work near their families. Tell it to the nurses and teachers forced to move jobs because they can't afford to live anywhere near their work.

In these areas of severe housing shortage, the right to buy is denying families the right to a home. Now, I am not saying we will end the right to buy. No one is seeking to turn the clock back 20 years. But the right to buy undermined - and continues to undermine - social housing in designated housing crisis areas.
When the Tories saw the right to buy causing similar problems in some rural areas, they made exemptions.

So, in those areas, where exploitation and abuse of the system exist, when people suffer as a result, when our public services are undermined, and where the right to buy undermines the right to live in decent conditions, it would be irresponsible not to act.

So we will act.

And we mustn't let the problems of housing shortages in the south take our eyes off different problems elsewhere.

Some areas of the north face collapsing demand.

Streets of good post war houses are being knocked down because there's no one to live in them. People, trapped in negative equity, are living in run-down estates.

And in those most vulnerable areas, unscrupulous landlords - the new Rachmans - are starting to appear. They run down the houses, they exploit loopholes in the housing benefit system to turn a profit, they rip off tenants and they rip off the public. And what's worse they create a breeding ground for the likes of the racist BNP.

To those landlords I hereby serve notice: we are going to bring your days of exploitation to an end.

Conference, housing is at the top of my agenda and I will be announcing to parliament, in the new year, a radical programme - a step change in housing for this country.

We have already invested £5bn in a refurbishment programme to improve the existing housing stock.

And we are rapidly increasing investment in new social housing. Only two weeks ago we increased funding to the housing corporation by a third, to £1.3bn, to build thousands of affordable homes, many of them for key workers.
And we are putting new resources into modern methods of building homes at prices people can afford.

We've already made a start on assisting those areas where the housing market has collapsed with nine multi-million pound projects in the worst areas in the north.

And we are backing that up with new subsidies to regenerate areas of land considered uneconomic for building houses.

Conference, whether people live in housing association or council housing, they deserve decent standards. So today, I am announcing the creation of a new single housing inspectorate under the audit commission, to inspect both sectors.

The Housing Corporation will continue its role of regulating housing associations and play a much bigger part in helping us achieve a transformation of housing in this country.

It will have a major role in the delivery of a quarter of a million extra homes in the four new growth areas in the south-east.

That's a step change.

Conference, I've spoken on many important issues over the years.
But none of them more important than these that touch the lives of all our people.

The right to a decent home. The right to live in a safe and clean environment

The right to a real say in their community. Being a part of society. Building that new society. A fairer and more equal society.”

(My bold Type Rigger)

More Houses or Cool Planes?

300 million pound in my opinion is loose change in the grand scale of things, the gvmnt will employ some incompetent company to issue it out to the wrong people or area,s or both and it will do nothing to help the economy.

Whos gonna build these houses...?

Unqualified Foreigners at a fraction of the price or decent honest British tradesmen? :notrust:

How much does anyone wanna bet there will be ANOTHER huge migrant surge from Eastern Europe happening soon? :mad:

Get out of the fuc.king European Union and close the borders. I have Polish/ Bulgarian/ Lithuanian friends but it's now getting beyond a fuc.king joke. There's gonna be civil unrest soon, mark my words!!!

Get out of the fuc.king European Union and close the borders. I have Polish/ Bulgarian/ Lithuanian friends but it's now getting beyond a fuc.king joke. There's gonna be civil unrest soon, mark my words!!!

quite right vancouver, I have rattled on about this in other posts.look at what the papers are now saying and take heed.We now have unelected europrats planted into italy and greece to manipulate and brainwash us into thinking the euro is the better currency, and ever more comments that the germans are manipulating europe.I have no quarrel with germans but we must not lose sight of what is becoming increasingly obvious.We all moan on here of how a simple scaffolding job now takes twice as long and costs twice as much because of those clever europrats knowing better than us how to do our job. We need a referendum on getting us out of europe and becoming independent again like we were when we were once a great nation and made our own decisions. As for £400m, how far will that go in the grand scheme of things. it may help people get mortgages easier, but what helps them get a job to pay for the mortgage.
We need money going into more manufacturing projects and lets start clawing a bit of income back into the economy by exporting more instead of giving it allot to those clever eurotwats who have never yet had their annual accounts signed off, yet seem to think they know how to run our economy.

300 million for the whole of england is feck all,they were up here last week trying to sell their wares.too little too late
as for the euro fighter why bother,we had the harrier squadrons disbanded only for the us marines to buy them for 350 million does that not tell you something.the nimrods cut up when they were an all british built concept,great engineering good jobs and good wages.
i can only agree that the wages and jobs for the new build homes will probably go to cheap foreign workers who will send the cash home,cant blame them its the system thats wrong
british jobs for british workers :mad:

just seen it on the news,developers can build on disused land and not pay a penny till they sell the homes.i wasnt aware of wimpey,barratt,persimmons were that fecking skint and i cant remember them helping everyone else out when the boom was on no they caused the downfall with the help of the bankers by bumping up the house prices so much that everyone was up to their eyeballs in debt just to get on the ladder.
get rid of the millions who shouldnt be here and there will no longer be a shotage

And get these multi national plc's based in the UK to PAY THEIR TAXES!! Im mean come on...Vodaphone have just got away with £6 billion....£6 fooking billion pounds!!! How many houses could that built!!! I appreciate they threaten to take their business else where...but for me...LET THEM!! Pay your dues like every one else is forced to or Fook Off!!

CHEERS FOR THAT WEE SNIP-IT OF INFORMATION P.W I WILL NOW HAVE TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP JUST SPAT A MOUTHFULL OF TEA ALL OVER THE CANT :cry:

CHEERS FOR THAT WEE SNIP-IT OF INFORMATION P.W I WILL NOW HAVE TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP JUST SPAT A MOUTHFULL OF TEA ALL OVER THE CANT :cry:

Sorry about that Mucker....:D

I'm not for one moment going to jump on the "Anti Capitalist" band wagon as on the whole I think they live in cloud cuckoo land but the one point they do have is in regard to companies (Big & Small) repeatdly weedling out of their tax liabilities using loop holes or employing tax lawyers to negate their tax burden....Vodaphone are just the tip of the iceberg.
Its also intresting to note that the people responsible for negotiating (See article below) the settlement between HMRC and Vodaphone used to work together!! hmmm...I sense a bit of the old boys network being brought to the fore!!

Let off: Vodafone escaped a £6bn tax bill

Controversial tax boss Dave Hartnett agreed a deal to let Vodafone off a £6bn tax bill, it emerged yesterday.
In what was described as an 'unbelievable cave-in', the HMRC's permanent secretary for tax allowed the phone giant to avoid paying vast amounts of tax on profits racked up by a subsidiary based in a tax haven.
The disclosure comes after it emerged that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs had undercharged 1.4million Britons a total of £2billion in tax and would be claiming it back.
Last week Mr Hartnett was forced by Chancellor George Osborne to issue a grovelling apology.
The agreement between HMRC and Vodafone came after negotiations-between revenue officersand John Connors, Vodafone's head of tax. Until 2007, Mr Connors was a senior official at HMRC, where he worked closely with Mr Hartnett.
The saga began a decade ago when Vodafone bought German engineering firm Mannesmann for 180bn euros.
Wanting to route the purchase through an offshore company to avoid paying UK taxes, it set up a subsidiary in Luxemburg where profits would be taxed at less than 1%.
But it was ruled that the deal broke anti-tax avoidance rules.
Nevertheless, Mr Hartnett took the Vodafone case away from his team of lawyers and gave it to another negotiating team, which said the phone company could get away with paying a lump sum of £800,000 and a further £450,000 over five years.
HMRC also agreed that the firm would no longer have to pay tax on its Luxembourg subsidiary's profits. The deal is understood to include some other tax avoidance ruses by Vodafone.
One former HMRC chief told Private Eye magazine the deal was an 'unbelievable cave-in'.
An HMRC spokesman said: 'Our legal obligation to maintain customer confidentiality means we are unable to offer comment on the tax affairs of named individuals or organisations.'

Read more: Taxman let Vodafone off £6bn bill | This is Money

Once again its the poor people on PAYE who simply cant escape being taxed to the hilt against the multis who can afford to challenge their tax bill or have the connections to make it go away....This is simply not right and this Goverment MUST do something about it

Think youl find tesco do the same thing

Top Bottom