2 day inspection wombles

joebag

Reaction score
Twice this summer ive stuck to my guns and ran these idiots off site, once I argued my case with the director of a company who overuled the safety slag on the grounds of my years on the job against his 2 days at a training centre......im all for safety but believe in my own abilities and will take criticism from my peers but not from somebody who thinks a certificate overides common sense and trade savvy!!!!

Whats the legal liability these idiots hold, one instance was he wanted an extra board for a window opening turning it into 3 inside, without a spare or leg down as trad deck was in place,I know the fixes but I dug my heels in and let him hang himself as he was prepared to leave it as three unsupported!

I told him I wanted it in writing but he refused, legally if I do a fix as per a safety wombles recommendations can he be held responsible for any issues arrising and if thats the case can scaffs simply refuse to recognise these particular inexperienced idiots who after a two day course can recommend highly dangerous advice with what seems no comeback to themselves whatsoever!!!!!!?

This is for rigger and plenty more on topic to come ;)

Joe you got it spot on mate by asking him to put his observations down in writing. If he refused I would say he wasn't sure about what he was asking you to do which is a danger in itself. Write to his employer explaining the potential danger he is putting people in

The problem you have is the agents who run the sites let these people loose on the job then take all there findings as gospel. The site agents then want you to implement the findings based on what the inspectors have said weather its right or wrong.
If you dont do it or stick up for what you know is right just leads to a full on barney resulting in red cards getting dished out.
your right Joe in what your doing but its down to who is running the job.
How can a 2 day course teach you anything 6 months onsite experience working with different trades would make them think different

You can't do it, even if he puts it in writing, you cannot have 3 inside boards without it being supported via standard or spur.
If something went wrong and you pulled your written instruction out saying that what he wanted, your still liable, your the scaffolder mate not him, it's your duty to erect the scaffold to to a safe standard, ie TG:20 & SG4:13

Out of interest joe was this a routine safety visit or was he doing the 7 day inspection. If the 7 day inspection isn't done by his company I would be telling him it's got feck all to do with him

A particularly odeous cretin on a site in Chorley threatened to red card/black book me off every nhbc site in the northwest, that was the point when he won cos I told him if he was taking food out of my kids mouths I would make it personal with him, in the end the qs site agent and everyone was fully behind me but this grade a d1ck couldnt be overuled, the funniest thing was a month later I helped put up and signed off a scaffold for the prime minister visiting this big house builders site in chorley, trusted on my experience for that, was going to bring this issue up with dave but they let two hairy arsed bricklayers steal my thunder,,,,, always the bridesmaid......:D

Just a quick question lads....
What if the transums were doubled up to carry the three inside boards, would this work?. And if it not possible to have three inside boards unsupported, then why are extendable transums used that dont require supporting.

He was popping in as he lived locally didnt even work for b.....s homes he worked for d.....d w....n homes, you see thats my point ds, its all hearsay and smoke and mirrors with these kunts, if we knew for a fact they didnt have a leg to stand on he would have been given the spanish archer, but they flash a safety badge and the agents qs and scaffs think we should bow down , met a cracking bloke on a national grid site a few months ago who just retired, book of untold knowledge and a man who forgot more than I knew,advanced inspector for a massive civils outfit with forty years in the game, hse should employ these blokes as overseers for the inspection part of our game not parasites earning good money foe bllshit safety issues ,!!!!!!!:mad:

I would say no, you need to transfer the load down a standard, or if a spur with 150mm of a node point, it has now changed from 300mm, just in case you didn't know that.
Those extendable transoms are ok up too 2 boards but again you would need to support them if they are to carry 3 boards. I don't see any way round it, why won't they let you do it properly.

This guy was ridiculous mm so I played him at his own game, we were arguing on site as trad lads were putting that deck sh1te on a first floor passing it through a stairwell opening with no stairs or handrail, I wont grass up a fellow man for my own advantage but as trad deck was in situe a standard couldnt be put on the inside, he wouldnt accept it would cost extra due to his recommendations that a window board be in place, I know it sounds petty but its not one rule for me and one for everyone else, margins are tight as it is and knowing that he was wrong on a three board unsupported platform I pushed the button, I got told by a mate whos an advanced trainer who told me not to recognise his authority, legally it would be great to know if a refusal to adhere to these idiots is a path to go down :idea:

I know, im coming to the conclusion that these people are redundant, they are preying on the fact no one has worked it out yet lol, going to start a thread and see what the blokes think ;)

I think the wombles do a great job, keep smiling at them they can't see further than joints in ledgers and kickboards.

I probably would have gone down the lines of

'if you want me to add a third inside board that's no problem at all mate, if you could just get your company to get a design drawn for the 3 inside boards once that comes through we will gladly install the boards'

and then add the cost to the invoice.

Get what you're saying tom but this guy was prepared for me to leave 3 unsupported, his whole job is safety and he didnt know that under his own scheme that was a serious no no, basically im sick of dealing with underexperinced idiots who could potentially land me in the $hit, im not on a mission to do everything nasc I just want these cretins held to the same standards we are .

What if the transums were doubled up to carry the three inside boards, would this work?. And if it not possible to have three inside boards unsupported, then why are extendable transums used that dont require supporting.

Yes scaffy of course it is, although it falls outside of the remit of tg20- we often use 3 inside brds & our desighner has indicated that additional transoms with a max span of 900mm & RAMs quoting no loading with a MWL@ .75knMsq is suitable for this- never had any probs with sso or hse in doing so.

I've built 3 inside board scaffold for years on the timber frames and not had any problems with accidents or safety officers. If it makes the scaffold simpler for me to build I will continue as well .....

These prikks do my head in.They have to find fault with something otherwise they can't justify charging £150.00 an hour.if the site agent or manager doesn't know all the rules and regs for scaffolding he shouldn't be in charge.These gobshites will pull you up on a handrail being out by a mm but turn a blind eye to boards being cacked in *****.Or brickies on trestles with no handrails.If the scaffold is bad,and there are a lot that are,surely a decent site agent can tell.Some of these inspectors are ex scaffs who should know better.There's a couple working for Simian I know who where rough a fukk on the spanner .Got short memories some people.

Yes scaffy of course it is, although it falls outside of the remit of tg20- we often use 3 inside brds & our desighner has indicated that additional transoms with a max span of 900mm & RAMs quoting no loading with a MWL@ .75knMsq is suitable for this- never had any probs with sso or hse in doing so.

I didnt think i was wrong, but asked the question just in case. As were building a 96mt square job in solihull, using doubled up transums (7ft tubes) on the base lift and then using 3bd extendable transums on the remaining 5 lifts. I didnt want to suggest it just in case i was wrong.

Top Bottom