What Impact Wrench do you Use?

i use the new hilti wrench .. fantastic bit of kit .. hardly touch my swingover spanner these days if i can help it .. great for tennis elbow sufferers and pain in wrists .. highly recommend it .. bit pricey but worth every penny ..

Excellent tool Hilti, all my Hilti equipment is excellent on battery life, havnt got an impact wrench tho, but my drills are great and my little drill feels as tho its been design with total balance in mind , might sound strange but it just feels great when using it almost perfectly balanced and comfortable to use.

The Next time The Snap-On dealer has the impact wrench on special offer im thinking of giving it a bash, at present a half inch 18 volt impact gun with 700 ft/lbs of torque , 1800 rpm an 2100 bpm 2 batteries retails around £625 but there is regular special offers on which will see it on offer for about £450-00

3 Questions?

What torque do you put on the gun to wrap up the fittings?

Do you find when srtripping the bolt comes off the fitting?

Can the fittings be used with an impact wrench or are they designed for a spanner use only?

No good Asking me Simian as I dont have or use an Impact gun , but those questions have been asked in the past, Im sure there isnt any impact guns out there that can be set to certain torques and none are actually set to the same torque recomended for scaffolding, your main men to talk to are RedViking and Garry Adams .

So the Impact Wrench of choice would be the Hilti?
Some of the guys are thinking of using them, thats all... i suppose ill have to follow suit soon, lol.

3 Questions?

What torque do you put on the gun to wrap up the fittings?

Do you find when srtripping the bolt comes off the fitting?

Can the fittings be used with an impact wrench or are they designed for a spanner use only?

1-different wrenches different torque , it's the same as doing up a fitting with a swingover you know when it's done up and if in any doubt check it with the swing over for peace of mind.

2-no never , I have the best trigger finger in the north wild west !!! , no doesn't happen to the makita brake is instant

3- do fitting manufactures state how fast/slow to do them up ? At the end of the day it's a nut and bolt and using my competency , knowledge and common sense I'm pretty sure the wrench is not going to damage the fittings .

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

So the Impact Wrench of choice would be the Hilti?
Some of the guys are thinking of using them, thats all... i suppose ill have to follow suit soon, lol.

I have and always will have makita , YouTube "scaffold impact wrench"

Cheers RV mate.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q1alVjGvhc]Scaffold impact wrench - YouTube[/ame]

Got it. :)

Its VERY quick, i will say that.
They heavy?? easy to carry about and stuff, with the rest of your tools?

It's just to show the speed it does the fittings up , as I've said time and time again it will NEVER replace the swingover but think of your elbows , wrists and shoulders , the job is hard enough as it is .

Think of doing your staircase ...old school rope and wheel or hoist / crane ?

Natural progression , and it won't slip and bust your lip/nose !!!

Not heavy I don't think (6'2" 18stone I carry it well !!) other lads have said its ok on weight I don't have a ratchet just swingover , level, tape , facom open ender ratchet ,wrench and leatherman .

Last edited:
Ya im the same mate.

Spanner, Level, Tape (which is the most important i use tbh...), Open ended Ratchet, Podger and Knife.

Too many tools? I dont think so - we use them daily. :)

So the Makita is the one?
Ill do some research and see what they are like.

Thanks RV mate.

Lol.

I was gonna treat myself to one of those glow in the dark big ben levels too, lol.

Just got my hilti sis 14.4v from hilti. Love it. first a credit check from hilti, took 1 day, then £249 deposit and 24 months hire @ £17.44 (+vat). Took about 30 mins to fill out paper work then walk out with tool, charger 2 batteries and carry case. Deposit returned after 12 months. Happy days. Used 2 on a base out yesterday, used 1 battery each all day. Checked all fittings with a spanner after impact wrench and surprised at tightness of fittings, especially with two bars of battery left. Early days yet I know but you get to know the sound of the fitting as to weather your tightening the fitting enough or not, and if in doubt a quick check with the spanner.

So does that work out at £502 ?? And they are getting interest on your £249 ?
Compared with Makita BTW251RFE 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion Impact Wrench at £317 ???

I guess it does mean they earn interest, but the gurentee on the tool is 2years and if it packs up, for any reason hilti fix/replace the tool within a week, to keep you working, worth the £20 a month in my eyes, and you get your deposit in the after 12 months. They my well be cheaper ways of using an impact wrench, but as I've read befor, Hilti warranties seem to be bulletproof, so do their tools. Only time will tell. I suggest to all the scaffs not fans of the impact wrench, jus give one a go, even if it's just on a strike, then cast your opinion on here.

Last edited:
i have used the snapon wrench and the new hilti wrench is far Superior to it .. i use the the hilti on setting 2 out of 3 tighness settings and i would say it is near perfectly the same as tightness with swingover spanner , there is always setting 3 if needs to be little tighter but even this setting doesnt over tighten .. on setting 2 i dont fint it rips the nuts of the bolt at all when striking .. you learn not to press button too hard and listen to the wrench as to how much it is working for you ..

Striking mansade hanger

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aII0a2ORfY&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Scaffold impact wrench 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TKskQvzCJQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Scaffold impact wrench 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Paul

Seeing is beleiving. Brilliant Post, it says it all---Game, Set and Match...

Garry...

Paul

Seeing is beleiving. Brilliant Post, it says it all---Game, Set and Match...

Garry...

When uploading onto YouTube from an iPhone you lose the quality I will retry via my home computer later , in the mean time you get the jist

P

Top Bottom