working on another firms scaffold

vinny

Reaction score
I have been asked by a client to carry out some ammendments on another firms scaffold. I have refused as I am not sure of the consequences.

Can anyone advise me please on the legality of this request.

Thanks

make sure the instruction in writing

I have been asked by a client to carry out some ammendments on another firms scaffold. I have refused as I am not sure of the consequences.

Thanks
Don't do it under any circumstances mate.

You will need it in writing from both the scaffold firm and the contractor to amend there scaffold

Cheers mate

Would I be leaving myself open to prosecution, if say I had clients written instructions but not the other scaffold firm?

we have often struck and altered other peoples scaffolds , we usually make the client pay for an inspection and do a letter indemnifying us against any legal action.
Usually a phone call to the other scaff firm will surfice and be sufficient mediation to get things sorted.
Whats the situation , if it was a case of the other firm had not been paid then id not get involved

Not sure if payment is an issue, my client just said he was being messed about by another firm. You may have hit the nail on the head with payment issues.

well usually most fall outs are down to money - would shy away from that at the second mate , or just call the other firm up - do you know them ??? If a bunch of wrongans stay clear !!!! After all you wouldnt want your work struck if you was waiting for a payment ha ha

Other Persons Scaffold

Heres a storey for you !!!

We put scaffold up around George Micheals house near Pangbourne about 6 years ago, around 2 big chimneys, it was 2 weeks before xmas !!

We got a call from his PA at 5pm on a Thursday evening, saying my client needs the scaffolding down Friday morning, as he has guests on Sat, we said it isnt finished the chimneys havent been built yet !! he said dont worry you can re erect them after Xmas and get paid twice !! all very nice but we said we could not change the fact that the lorries were already loaded for another job Friday morning, and could not do it til Sat morning !!!!

He got angry and said he would get in another firm to strike it, i said NO Way !!! you cant, we will be there Sat !!

That evening His Lordship George called my mobile himself, and asked me very nicely if we could come in the morning, as he was recording his new album in the studio attached to the house , i said " George me old mucker " i cant !!!

Anyway we went there sat morning, and when we arrived the scaffold was struck, by another firm, laid down neatly in sizes, and a note to call the firm, we loaded up stuck a Xmas card to George through his letter box !!!! then left.

I called the firm that struck it, they said they was sorry but Georgie boy gave them £1500 cash to strike it Friday morning !!! Fair play to them !!!

The Album was **** by the way, and to make it funnier, over that xmas period his house on the Thames was flooded out causing thousands of pounds worth of damage !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame !!!

Platinum

Quality - id have the grief for 1500 cash !

Personally I wouldn't touch it. Thought it was a unwritten rule to leave other people's scaff alone.

this is the trouble im having,I cant find any info or news where someone has been prosecuted, the issue has gone away now but its bugging me to find something factual and not just hear say. its the same in the skips business no one will pick up another companies skip without permission. ( decent firms that is)

thanks

Don't think you will find anything in black & white
this area is really grey

Insurance could be a problem

I myself would say no, unless I had sorted it with the other scaff first, he maybe too pushed or more than likely not paid

Thanks
As long as you have a scaffold ticket and are deemed to be a compitent person I can't see the trouble,the scaffold is the hirer or end users responsibility once handed over so as long as its not damaged or abused whats the problem ? they're paying for it after all.

i would never touch someone else's job i dont think its ethical ,its more then likely that the builder hasn't paid the scaffolders and leaving the job up is there only leverage to get their money, i have had to leave jobs up to get paid and would not be happy if someone else struck it

i for one would not touch another firms job,its like someone touching your woman,not a done thing.unwritten rule.

my pennies worth is, always speak to the other scaffold people first they will tell you yes or no and the reason why.

if you are asked to do work on another companys scaffold ask the client why the other scaffold company cant do it, then phone the scaffold people asking them above question.

you will definately know if to go ahead with works or not.

Personally I wouldn't touch it. Thought it was a unwritten rule to leave other people's scaff alone.
true. me always thought that too. don't touch,unless invited.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

i for one would not touch another firms job,its like someone touching your woman,not a done thing.unwritten rule.
yep,same ere

Top Bottom