Size of Firms

T.ANIMAL

Reaction score
Just out of interest, there quite a few guys on here that own there own firms, just wondering what sort of size they were, how many they employ, how many vehicles, maybe more than one yard, things like that.
Dont know if thats to personal a question, i am not the Tax Man undercover.:blink1:

Size doesnt Matter !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Dude

We are 2 directors, have around 12 men all sub contract, 2 lorries, 2 vans, 1 big yard built on a farm thats rented .

Works 99% is new housing contracts with Taylor Wimpey, Persimmon Homes and a few small ones, busy at the moment, but prices still fragile, we pay around £115 per day cis.

Hope that info is useful

Platinum

20-30 blokes on tools (mostly carded)
3 estimators
2 contracts managers
1 health and safety
Artic + 6 trailers
1 x 7.5 ton
2 x 3.5 ton
6 x vans
2 x cars
1 telehandler
4 yards - three on south coast and one in north london , being reduced to 2

Bulk of work refurbs between 5k - 100k in London and south east

we have 1 lorry, and actively looking for a 12 ton one now, there was just me and my partner plus a labourer, but recently took two scaffolders on so hopefully the work will keep coming in. we own all our gear, dont owe a penny to anyone, but rent a yard. just won the biggest job we've had this week so im chuffed to bits!

nice one atlasash and dont forget big aint allways the best way mate

nice one atlasash and dont forget big aint allways the best way mate
cheers scaffy, good advice mate, a friend of mine got really big in quite a short space of time and went under last year, lost everything he'd built up himself. it must be a bit stressful for you having to find 30 blokes wages every week scaffy

ol yes mate , fortunatley the cash flow is ok at the minute , but usually start off on a monday trying to get the money in for friday haha , its fluctuating up and down at the mo around 20 men , the office guys are salaried

Cashflow is everything and the bigger the firms you work for the more aggro you have getting paid , fortunatley theres still a fair bit of cash (quick paying) work around down south

Allways been happiest with 10-15 men seems to be the best earning point of this firm

Cashflow is everything and the bigger the firms you work for the more aggro you have getting paid ,

isn't that just always the way? I wonder who they are waiting on for the money?

**** knows bettertax , most the big firms get the monthley draw

whats the names of your firns also

AOM Scaffolding Ltd:
1 Director
1 Company Secretary (the mrs)
3 Advanced scaffs
2 Basic
1 Trainee
1 18t Demount Scania(for sale)
1 7.5t flat
1 Kangoo troop carrier
1 Warrior L200
1 Yang Fork Lift

We are probably as small as you get but we own all our own gear, own our yard, not long after building a steel framed storage shed don't owe a penny and really busy at the moment. Bread and butter probably house bashing but being in the sticks makes it hard for outsiders to compete on price so one day could be single lift extension on a bungalow and the next 15 lifts round a steeple, we do it all.:cool:

hi im probably as small as it gets, theres myself,a labourer and i use a cabstar.rent a bit of land in a local industrial estate for my yard only been going for just over a year,most of my work is domestic.there are quite a few small firms round my way,but i seem to be doing ok

I director, me. Occasionally go on the tools + 7 scaffs, 4 advanced, 3 basic, 2 trainee. 1 lorry, 7.5 ton, 1 x 3.5 ton. 1 x toyota forklift. Most of work in pharma plants, busy. Own my own gear, T/F an Cuplok. Yard rented, Compound supplied in pharma plant racked it out, Boards under cover, ideal, save on transport costs, on going maitenance work an projects, Been there 10 year continous, not looking for anything else at present.

3 Directors 2 as Advanced scaffs, Never got my mother to take the course!!!!
1 Supervisor / rep /also Advanced
4 Advanced scaffs
4 Part 2 scaffs
2 Trainees
2 Labourers / Drivers
1 secretary:- part time
3 7.5t Trucks
2 3.5t pick ups
1 Kangoo van
1 navara
1 really old fork lift (bonser).
We own all our own kit and 2 yards, 1 in the proccess of being developed.
Work is a little slow at the moment but we do have a few large projects on the go, so cant complain..

Top Bottom