Loading bays 12kn m2

S

steve gregory

had some new drawings done for 12kn per meter square 6 lift max progressive Loading bay. for normal house building scaffolds. couldnt use beams. jesus more steel in this than blackpool tower. anybody got any other drawings that i could glance at...that meets TG20 Requirements...

had some new drawings done for 12kn per meter square 6 lift max progressive Loading bay. for normal house building scaffolds. couldnt use beams. jesus more steel in this than blackpool tower. anybody got any other drawings that i could glance at...that meets TG20 Requirements...

Had a sketch done for a 20KN/M2 loading dock today.

Nominal 1.5 x 0.6 grids using ladder beams as transoms every 0.6m.

My engineer was banging on about not being able to achieve these huge point loadings in tube and said that the decking HAD to sit directly onto the beams as transoms, double decked, with minimum 19mm buffalo decking overlay. Bridals must be laced with B+P.

This deck is 1.4m from ground level, so have about unsupported 0.8m legs only.

Came to a few quid, I can tell you.

Last edited:
no its all these house builders who have been told to have drawings for a min of 10kn m2 for pack of bricks and tub of mortar...

no its all these house builders who have been told to have drawings for a min of 10kn m2 for pack of bricks and tub of mortar...

Should be approx. 1.2m standard centres, shed loads of bracing, and transoms at 300mm centres on the boarded lift :wacko: Seems an awful lot compared to the 2m bay / 1.2m transom centre affairs everyone used to put up, but then they did tend to sag a little bit :laugh:

Just wait until you have to erect a 20kN/m2 tower that one of the major contractors insist on :amazed:

steve,heard about y new employment,it's about time they put more steel in,ps dont try t sue me we have photo's,wath upon dearn!

not sure about the weights but haki loading bays are good .been using them on brickwork scaffolds for a while

We tried them on a few sites because of the high loading capacity, but from the feedback we got they weren't happy about the smaller platforms size. Also, we managed to find some sites using packs of blocks which were too high to fit under the rolling gate. As a result, all the gates, decks, etc. are rusting away in the corner of the yard.

Lol,

You want to see the Keirs design for their loading bays. They specify 20Knm2 loading bays on their sites. God only knows why. I personally think someone has got their wires crossed on exactly what a newton is.

p.s.
Haki loading bays are 15Knm2

Last edited:
Definition
The newton is the unit of force derived in the SI system; it is equal to the amount of net force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second per second. In dimensional analysis, F=ma, multiplying m (kg) by a (m/s2), the dimension for 1 newton unit is therefore

Examples
  • 1 N is the force of Earth's gravity on an object with a mass of about 102 g (1⁄9.81 kg) (such as a small apple).
  • On Earth's surface, a mass of 1 kg exerts a force of approximately 9.8 N [down] (or 1.0 kilogram-force; 1 kgf=9.80665 N by definition). The approximation of 1 kg corresponding to 10 N is sometimes used as a rule of thumb in everyday life and in engineering.
  • The force of Earth's gravity on a human being with a mass of 70 kg is approximately 686 N.
  • The dot product of force and distance is mechanical work. Thus, in SI units, a force of 1 N exerted over a distance of 1 m is 1 N·m of work. The Work-Energy Theorem states that the work done on a body is equal to the change in energy of the body. 1 N·m = 1 J (joule), the SI unit of energy.
  • It is common to see forces expressed in kilonewtons or kN, where 1 kN = 1,000 N.
Common use of kilonewtons in construction
Kilonewtons are often used for stating safety holding values of fasteners, anchors and more in the building industry. They are also often used in the specifications for rock climbing equipment. The safe working loads in both tension and shear measurements can be stated in kN (kilonewtons).

1 kN equals 101.97162 kilograms of load, but multiplying the kN value by 100 (i.e. using a slightly pessimistic and easier to calculate value) is a good rule of thumb.

All the loading bays we build are 15kn although SDC builders have now stated they want 20kn loading bays ,why ,I don't know ! I do know they don't want to pay for it though.

Should be approx. 1.2m standard centres, shed loads of bracing, and transoms at 300mm centres on the boarded lift :wacko: Seems an awful lot compared to the 2m bay / 1.2m transom centre affairs everyone used to put up, but then they did tend to sag a little bit :laugh:

Just wait until you have to erect a 20kN/m2 tower that one of the major contractors insist on :amazed:

Mark I would really like to say thank you for the emails you sent me through..

All the loading bays we build are 15kn although SDC builders have now stated they want 20kn loading bays ,why ,I don't know ! I do know they don't want to pay for it though.

2 tonne packs of plasterboard on a pallet truck = a 10KN point load on each wheel.

Typically loading bays needs to take into consideration the maximum loding at any one time (typical housebuilding would be 10kN for pack of brick and tub of mortar) and then a 25% FOS, taking it up to 12.5kN. A major contractor may have significantly more loading than a housebuilder and therefore 20kN would be about right. Likelwise any housebuilding job with natural stone work would probably need a minimum of 15kN.

Doesnt sound too far out to me.......

Remember - a lot of Principal Contractors in housebuilding are now preparing their own loading bay designs and requiring contractors to work to them only because the typical housebuilding scaffolder will be happy to erect a loading bay without any design, no idea of the loading capabilities and therefore putting the Principal Contractor at risk. There is always a reason for the action.

2 tonne packs of plasterboard on a pallet truck = a 10KN point load on each wheel.

I thought pallet trucks had 3 wheels:laugh:

But seriously, I thought that 20kN/m² was a distributed load, spread evenly over the whole of the platform area, and not a point load? :cry:

Yes, it is usually a distributed load per m2 and not a point load. A point load of 10kN would probably require a higher distributed load. This is where the scaffold designers earn their cash.....

Hi Mate, i carry out contracts for Taylor Wimpet sites 2,3 & 4 storey.

The New loading bay spec is 4m wide x 6 boards sometimes more, each lift to have 15 transoms !!! Ledger braces x 3, Plan brace, Undersling a transom to every standard on doubles plus chex ! 5 standrards at front and at rear, fully foot tied, errr what else ohh yeah, no brickguards just 3 short boards at the sides, and a gate.

The poxy thing takes longer than the lift itself !!!!!

I do have a drawing which i can copy off mate send us a fax no.

Regards

PLATINUM LTD

Had 4 designs done over the last 3 weeks and do they vary quite alot.. but finally settled for a design which will be practical..

Steve Whats the rough charge to errect a 20 kn loading bay and a rough idea for all other load bearing scaffolds ?

Top Bottom