would you do it

allan666

Reaction score
i have only worked a few days the last few weeks because theres no work on and the bad weather . it was my turn to work last wednesday but i was told i was now on price/target work . when i got on site i found 2 jobs that were going 4 lifts had 2 lifts on each of them and no ties . so rather than finish and tie jobs in greedy morons had took the easy money off both and left me the time consuming bits . i finished both jobs and made less than those that had put the easy bits in . i told my boss if he ever tries to make me finish someone elses work again i am walking , would you lot have finishd it? i only did it because i hadnt been in for a while

It aint right allan mate your governer should have stop them some money for not completing their work

i have only worked a few days the last few weeks because theres no work on and the bad weather . it was my turn to work last wednesday but i was told i was now on price/target work . when i got on site i found 2 jobs that were going 4 lifts had 2 lifts on each of them and no ties . so rather than finish and tie jobs in greedy morons had took the easy money off both and left me the time consuming bits . i finished both jobs and made less than those that had put the easy bits in . i told my boss if he ever tries to make me finish someone elses work again i am walking , would you lot have finishd it? i only did it because i hadnt been in for a while

Two things Allan,
1.Boss is a total prikc without a clue,
2.Boss is clever as fukc and knows the other boys are not capable of putting a good job up and finishing it, and always gives it to boys who can.
Both ways good scaffs lose and always will i'm afraid.

shameless B^stards, call themself Scaffolders, get the Boss to square you up M8 or fine him !

wot dose it matter al you got paid mate i think wen im there 7 till half 4 i do wot there is to do as long as im getting paid i dont give a sh!t

Same old story with price work. I hate it! It doesn't work anymore people get pissed off at other gangs, people get pissed off with the gaffer. Money doesn't add up at the end of the week. People cut corners. People who try to erect right can't make a decent wage.

havent done a lot of price works mainly day works which is fine but done a couple of months work for a street firm in uckfield via an agency when one of the lads turned up he was telling me what hes boss wanted them to errect in a 8 hour shift i was gobsmacked although you do your bit on day work this firm wanted the world as for going back on work it should of been finished to a safe standard or atleast the gaffa notified health and safety what health and safety.

Can't speak for every gaffer. But my old foreman was never a scaff. Used to piss me right off thought he could chuck sh1tty farty jobs a you and pay you a sh1t day rate. Then when you got on the housing estates knock em up and down earning a decent price I used to ask why cant my day rate be the same or around that figure. He used play mind games. In my opinion the best gaffer are the ones who have spent a good few years scaffolding and got good at it!

that must have been claw scaffold (gillhams) then

your spot on Danaps i been on the tools for 31 years mate and still go out every day with my lads , its to easy to forget how damn hard it is some days when your sitting in an office scratching your nuts , and your lads respect you a lot more :)

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

is that the claw that are based in Reading scaffy ?

yeh mate they brought out gillhams in uckfield then it all went wrong and they shut that depot down haha , price slashing tossers

yeah the gear wasnt to be desired either when you made a order it turned up like a bag of liquorish allsorts lol,

green gear if gilhams , orange if claw , dont know who was running that yard but he was a major price slasher and they had mega dramas getting hold of blokes

yep if you treat your lads decent then they will look after you. It's human nature. they think twice before nicking gear too lol

i worked for them for 2 days in the early 90s what a tribe of tramps they where mate , they used to round up pis* heads from the streets and stick them on sites. sent me to a site that had at least a foot of soft mud all round and asked me to base out a brickies scaffold gave me 2 pis* heads to labour for me so i told them to carry some long to the brickwork i swear i nearly wet my self when they both got stuck then fell over in the mud :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
i went straight home and never went back ,
HAHAHA i can still see them rolling about in the mud like a couple of pigs in shi*

There was a thread a while back discussing this, I posted then that I was not a fan of price for a variety of reasons but mainly because the boys should be afforded some protection in their working life and be free to concentrate on erecting without panicking if they have covered their wage. The gaffers have to take some responsibility for the job and whilst every job has a price to someone the boys deserve the correct tools to do the correct job instead of turning up on a site to find a load of spaghetti and told to get on with it.

I also realise there will be plenty on here that do it all right whilst on price but where I am it was the beginning of the end for the old fashioned tradesman when fast rough work from all trades was rewarded with a bigger wage.

As for the original question Allan, I would probably have handled it just as you did but I would certainly remind the gaffer that he owes me one.

Top Bottom