Working Time Directive

Rigger

Reaction score
Is a maximum 48 hour working week a good balance between leisure/home time, and time taken up with working?

Is it better to work 40 hours max and create more jobs for more people?

Or work the 12 hour shifts seven days a week?

When on the spanner my average working time was 7am to 4pm Mon/ Thur with early finish Friday 2/3pm. Worked a few Sat/Sun over the year but never chased them, rather be at home at week-ends.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working Time Directive set to be reviewed

Date: 21st November 2011

It is being widely reported that negotiations between David Cameron and German chancellor, Angela Merkel could result in a relaxation of the Working Time Directive.

In exchange for Britain signing up to a revised Lisbon Treaty, there would be an examination of the impact of the Directive. Britain is said to be making two key demands in the negotiations:

• Retaining the ability for individual workers in Britain to opt-out of the maximum 48-hour week; and
Reversing the judgments made by the European Court of Justice which classed certain “on-call” time as working time.

It is understood that a tentative deal was agreed on Friday.

The opt-out from the maximum 48-hour week does not apply evenly across the EU. In 2009 the European Parliament moved to introduce an updated working hours law, which would have ended this relaxation.

This attempt was blocked by the UK and the eight other EU countries where the opt-out applies.

Under the complex Working Time Regulations 1998 (as amended), workers are entitled to uninterrupted breaks of 20 minutes if daily working time lasts more than six hours. In addition, they are entitled to a rest period of 11 consecutive hours in each 24 hour period during which they work.

There are certain circumstances where these entitlements do not apply, such as a need for continuity of service. Further information on these regulations can be found at

www.direct.gov.uk.

Last edited:
Have to be honest and say it would be a total nightmare if we were to work to these sorts of restrictions. When I was chasing the money all I wanted was hours nothing else would do and now I'm on my own it would still be a nightmare especially in the summer months to work to that all the time. OT for the men where necessary.

The working time directive is basically a load of shet,anywhere ive worked ive signed a disclaimer allowing me to do what i wanted basically.
I do feel that we as workers should not have to work weekends or late nights but ***** pay forces us to.i do and will continue to chase the money.
I worked in holland a land and people i have much respect for and their attitude is why do you want to work the weekends the weekends are for the family,then again they have better wages and a better social ethos

How much is a pint though? Naw don't bother, you're right their pricing structure is no way near enough to justify why they have a better system than our own. Unemployment, pensions and especially training a young workforce are far superior to ours.

work to live dont live to work your a long time deid (dead) but when the going rate is not good enough we and i include myself in this will have to make hay when the sun shines.
i cant think of any more proverbs for this one lads

The weans are in the school longer than that Allan.

The working time directive is basically a load of shet,anywhere ive worked ive signed a disclaimer allowing me to do what i wanted basically.
I do feel that we as workers should not have to work weekends or late nights but ***** pay forces us to.i do and will continue to chase the money.
I worked in holland a land and people i have much respect for and their attitude is why do you want to work the weekends the weekends are for the family,then again they have better wages and a better social ethos

Low pay, greed and living to a certain life style all comes into play.
With a young family, i need to work as much as i can, as often as i can, like many many others here on the Forum.

Sundays off, would be nice as its the 'day of rest' and all, but how many would have Sundays off anyway, even if they earned enough in the week to cover a Sunday at home?

Food for thought. ;)

Top Bottom