Working Saturday night doing PTS job

scaff369

Reaction score
Get onsite to find out your only getting 2.5hrs possession after travelling over 100 mile to get here PTS jobs get on my wick!!!

That's a sore one, surely not the norm though does everyone not have a minimum charge.

Worked on the railways before, this is the norm. Give the (COSS?) your number and go for a sleep in the wagon.:D

Normally you get a shift, however long your on the track. Would never take a PTS job on an hourly basis. hope you get sorted matey!

Get paid full shift lads it's just a ball ache the job can only be done on a Saturday night under a possession and the gear in it well lets just say I might get a turkey out of the job!!! Lol

Oh, well that's different. A ball ache for sure but sounds like a good earner, good luck.

Can't start work until 2am it's just why get us here so early told possession times were 00:00 - 07:00 oh well just do a bit bird spotting!!!

Get paid full shift lads it's just a ball ache the job can only be done on a Saturday night under a possession and the gear in it well lets just say I might get a turkey out of the job!!! Lol

Good job BurnsPW is banged up or there'd be about a 1000 scaffs on the job with you!:cheesy:

Normally you get a shift, however long your on the track. Would never take a PTS job on an hourly basis. hope you get sorted matey!

Normally get told the available possession times upfront when pricing rail jobs, but NR's usual caveat is to allow 'up to 1 hour' either end for delays, etc, eg. expect only 4 hours working in a 6 hour possession. How much delay is actually priced in is a commercial decision for the scaffold company based on knowledge and experience, but even getting back costs from NR for delays longer than the hour is a long winded process.

Normally get told the available possession times upfront when pricing rail jobs, but NR's usual caveat is to allow 'up to 1 hour' either end for delays, etc, eg. expect only 4 hours working in a 6 hour possession. How much delay is actually priced in is a commercial decision for the scaffold company based on knowledge and experience, but even getting back costs from NR for delays longer than the hour is a long winded process.

no disrepct to you mate, but your extra costs for delays is between the Management and NR. If a scaff is told it's a 6 hour possession and your getting £200, that's what he should get. The fact NR and the company are arguing about how much work is done is irrelevant - he was there ready to work, it's not his fault they couldn't get the line blocked or the OLE's switched off!

no disrepct to you mate, but your extra costs for delays is between the Management and NR. If a scaff is told it's a 6 hour possession and your getting £200, that's what he should get. The fact NR and the company are arguing about how much work is done is irrelevant - he was there ready to work, it's not his fault they couldn't get the line blocked or the OLE's switched off!

Never a problem paying the lads for the full shift - if they're out of their beds in the wind and rain at 3am they deserve it, even if sometimes they end up sitting in the cabin half the night waiting. Like the OP said, that sitting about waiting is the most dispiriting part - trying to psyche yourself back up and then having to rush like feck to still get the job finished is a pain in the arse. The problem comes when trying to reclaim those costs from NR via the Main Contractor :notrust:

Never a problem paying the lads for the full shift - if they're out of their beds in the wind and rain at 3am they deserve it, even if sometimes they end up sitting in the cabin half the night waiting. Like the OP said, that sitting about waiting is the most dispiriting part - trying to psyche yourself back up and then having to rush like feck to still get the job finished is a pain in the arse. The problem comes when trying to reclaim those costs from NR via the Main Contractor :notrust:

oh, I've sat around enough railway lines to know what a **** job it can be. On the payment side, I always found the bigger the firm, the more of a struggle to get paid!:blink1:

I love pts work... lots of hanging around for a job that may never go ahead... and get a fair bundle of cash for it... easy work most of the time as well. Sometimes I fill out more paper work than turn spanners.

Cant stand PTS work its all total sh*te, especially all that get there for 10 but cant start till 01:00, finish at 05:00 oh cant leave till 6 as NR are paying you 8hrs, get a life. Gunslinger how was your holiday?

Top Bottom