Working on Fragile Roof

andyf8686

Reaction score
Hello lads has anyone got any info for working on fragile roofs is there anything in the SG pack if so can you message me and i will send you my email address
Cheers
NO DAFT LADS PATTER PLEASE :blink1:

Sorry mate bit crap info, however, from the HSE.
Assume that roofs are fragile unless you can confirm otherwise - there may be non-visible damage caused by weathering, deterioration, etc.
Always avoid working on a roof if it is possible to carry out the work in another way, eg approaching the roof from below.
Never go onto any part of a fragile roof without using platforms to support your weight.
Fit appropriate warning signs to buildings which have fragile roofs, particularly at roof access points.
Never walk along the line of the purling bolts - it is like walking a tightrope.
Ensure that platforms are wide enough and long enough to give adequate support across roof members and ensure that enough platforms are provided on the roof.
Protect against falling through the fragile roof adjacent to the platform by providing:
a properly installed safety net, scaffolding or similar close to the underside of the roof; or
suitable guard rails and toe boards at the edges of the platform; or
further suitable coverings over all fragile materials within 2m of the working platform.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

The hierarchy of controls for WAHR 2005, is the Kidda mate, then hopefully the situation can be resolved at the upper levels.

cheers paddy
i have cape east on site changing the wall and roof sheets on the turbine hall when i scoped the work i told them in my office onshore that we had to erect scaffold full external as roof is 16m heigh at the lowest piont with a birdcage internal for working on and protection for the gas turbines. But as normal some prick in the office who is not a scaffolder is trying to be a clever **** he is a painter. so just going to **** him tomorrow on video call ha ha. Was just hoping to have a SG*** something to stick it up him.

if your still struggling mate, let me know and i'll get some stuff off our safety bloke tomorrow

Hello allan mate nothing wrong with it in fact love it but this time i am trying to **** the section leader in town he is a total **** and to top it off he is a painter trying to tell scaffolders how jobs should be done.
Cheers DEB will send email address if you can sort anything out cheers

No probs mate, send it you tomorrow..

basically working on fragile roofs is working at height mate , no ifs or buts if its possible for a man or materials to fall off or thru the roof you need something in place to stop that happening , safety nets below , walk boards, man safe system in place.

you wont find any work on fragile roof books , you have to stop the fall

There doing the roof in our part of the firm, scaff up for access, then netted for fall and thinner net for debris, but I'll get the bunff tomorrow...

Good job for the netters though, shops 1/4 mile long and about 22m wide..

had a word with our safety bloke, he's gonna dig some stuff out, send it when I've got it mate..

Mailed you the info mate.... anyone else want it let me know... got 12 HSE people on our firm, so if you want owt, no probs...

send us your email mate... I'll send it on...

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Done Phil...

never noticed mate :blink1: you get the stuff I mailed you ?

Top Bottom