Working at height regs 2005 and their effectiveness

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i am currently doing a dissertation on:

“The working at height regulations 2005 and its effectiveness in improving safety in the scaffold industry”

anyone know of any literature that is not from the HSE, or NASC when describing how the regulations have performed since their introduction.? Any other sources of info would be appreciated!!!

Thanx.

WAHRs SG04-05 are out it's SG04-10 and slowly going in place such as scaff steps and fall prevention. I personally think they are time consuming and too clinical. Although they are meant to be in-place.

Maybe get some work experience for a day with some Scaffs and see wot the difference is.

Is your dissertation your own opinion, or what is't meant to be?

what its meant to be. Am trying to find out if they have improved safety since their introduction but i cant find any seperate literature from what the HSE and NASC say.

From my own experiences i know that health and safety is a drag, and trying to change the culture of everyone with training is the big thing with some companies but i need to prove that they are going about it the right way!

Hi everyone,

i am currently doing a dissertation on:

“The working at height regulations 2005 and its effectiveness in improving safety in the scaffold industry”

anyone know of any literature that is not from the HSE, or NASC when describing how the regulations have performed since their introduction.? Any other sources of info would be appreciated!!!

Thanx.
Thats a question thats hard to get an answer to, it's hard to get a precise breakdown of the numbers of fatalities or serious injuries that were actual scaffolders in the lists published prior to the new regs, so I don't think you could say that the regs have saved scaffolders lives, but then there is the other side of the arguement, you can't say they did'nt. Going from my own experience and I have been doing the job a long time, I have never seen a scaffolder fall, but I know it has happened. I have always taking the view that you respect the environment in which you work and you are aware of the danger and you will take care, thats just my opinion and thankfully it has worked so far. There is a case to be put from a scaffolders point of view that with all the extra restrictions on us its leading to confusion as to the interpretation of the regs, no one wants to stick their neck out and thus add their little bit adding to the confusion on site.

As for your other question regarding independent literature I really could'nt say.

I'm sorry I'm just a scaff and all I know is we follow the guidelines that the hse set we work to bs5973 and en12811, combined nasc form tg20:08.

There are scaff tags and scaffold inspections to inform others of the purpose of the scaff.

And then there is human error. I recently worked on one project and was told that productivity oversaw health and safety!!!

Remember common sense ain't common

Top Bottom