Wire slung scaffolds

scootay45

Reaction score
Alreet lads, anybody got photo's of any wire slung scaffolds, I remember helping to build one in the Odeon cinema Newcastle in the early 70's when i started labouring, hadn't a clue what they were doing at the time but clever when they had finished. Measuring the wire and lowering the ledgers to a pre- determined length then down you went and started filling in with the trannies, (cutting a long story short) you get the drift, there will be somebody on here built one, come lads a photo or two would be interesting.
Could this type of job be confined to history? Flying shores have they gone the same way? going through a memory bubble at the moment, scootay

never done a slung scaffold on wire ropes , done a few flying shores though and i think it is easier for the contractors to use steel these days (probably cheaper to)
we did use to use wire bonds for pulling back fans years ago but you don't see that any more either :)

Alreet lads, anybody got photo's of any wire slung scaffolds, I remember helping to build one in the Odeon cinema Newcastle in the early 70's when i started labouring, hadn't a clue what they were doing at the time but clever when they had finished. Measuring the wire and lowering the ledgers to a pre- determined length then down you went and started filling in with the trannies, (cutting a long story short) you get the drift, there will be somebody on here built one, come lads a photo or two would be interesting.
Could this type of job be confined to history? Flying shores have they gone the same way? going through a memory bubble at the moment, scootay

Hi mate
I remember when i started scaffolding, in 78, i worked with all the old hands of the TOON, i remember them talking about the 'Odeon' slung scaffold, there was a few lads that stated they were on it, however, as my memory is not as good as it was, i will name one.

See if it rings a 'Bell'. Bob Henderson (The Crow) from Longbenton, Talked me through the job, measuring the bonds etc, from the top balcony, or is it upper circle,to the front of the Hall, level all the way through, everytime, i went to the Odeon after that i looked to the ceiling to see the holes where the bonds came through.

Done one in a cinema once. ceiling had small round plugs that you pulled out and dropped the wire robes through. We wrapped old hemp sacking round the roof girders to cushion the wire and tied them with bulldog clips,3 to each rope. The worst job was up in the attic, hot an sweaty, get the shout to higher or lower to get thr level, then wrap around twice, hold it and your mate fixed the bulldog clips. Think all the cinemas of the time had those cut out plugs in the ceiling for that purpose.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Used wire ropes for a hanger from oak trusses in a church. Same principle, though that was handier, worked off mobile towers an used alloy tubing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom