Who remembers this firm ??

White debra ????

Yes theres still a mac scaffold in cardiff ba

If it's the same firm from Manchester it changed hands a few times turner scaffolding, Stevens and carter, Ubm, Grayson and White Debra's. :)

The only one I've not heard of is the White Debra's.... All the others I believe your right about pal.

Was part of group called
Grayston White & Sparrows crane hire

Was part of group called
Grayston White & Sparrows crane hire
Grayston did have a mobile crane division right next to Grayston Scaffolding in Victoria mill, Droylsden at the back of the Commercial pub.
Grayston bought out Turner Scaffolding and later Taskers.
First firm I worked for when I did my customary 6 months in the yard back in '78'. :D
As for UBM, I always thought they bought out Big-Ben.

John Same set up in Morley, Leeds

Sparrows crane hire, had a yard next to Turners scaffolding both under the holding company of Grayston

Never heard of the "White" company though, this was in the early 70s

Joe Whitlam was the manager for Turners, he went on to start up Debra Scaffolding. (named for his daughter) in nearby Wakefield

John Same set up in Morley, Leeds

Sparrows crane hire, had a yard next to Turners scaffolding both under the holding company of Grayston

Never heard of the "White" company though, this was in the early 70s

Joe Whitlam was the manager for Turners, he went on to start up Debra Scaffolding. (named for his daughter) in nearby Wakefield
Yeh Rigger I've been in the Leeds depot in Morley once.
Mind you Grayston was nationwide with a very large London Depot as well.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Wasn't roger nutkins the supervisor on there?
Dunno about nutkins, but there was a paper 'scaffolder' who got made up to supervisor which I wont post his name, that was a f..k.ng nut-CASE there.
Couldnt supervise a chimps tea party.

Use to work for UBM,many years ago.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Yeh Rigger I've been in the Leeds depot in Morley once.
Mind you Grayston was nationwide with a very large London Depot as well.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Dunno about nutkins, but there was a paper 'scaffolder' who got made up to supervisor which I wont post his name, that was a f..k.ng nut-CASE there.
Couldnt supervise a chimps tea party.

I am sure his name was Roger.

Use to work for UBM,many years ago.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I am sure his name was Roger.

My Old man used to work for them out of their North Wales branch back in the seventies.

There was a fire in the old basement of the yard and they decided to just fill the void left after the fire and used that old sign to block up a window that faced out towards a river.

I remember Graystons well,used to work for them in mid-eighties firstly at Basingstoke under Mick Peek and then had a couple of years on Wokingham depot under Tony Catlin who was probably the best boss i've worked with in 30 odd years.
Seem to recall both ubm and Graystons and a fair few others all came under the BET Access name.
Anyone remember Tony Catlin or know where he ended up,seem to remember someone saying he moved down to the westcountry,possibly Barnstaple.

Think it all started with Sturdy Scaffolding, which changed it's name to Big Ben after a scaffold collapsed in Westminster resulting in a fatality. Turners then buying out the likes of Essex Steel/ Taskers going in to the Grayston group. Deborahs yard in Old Ford Bow.

Top Bottom