Who is the funding for? Is it for the unemployed or the training centre?

SWIFTY

Reaction score
I needed a couple of part 2's for a few weeks, I couldn't guarantee the work would last any longer so I asked the regular lads if they knew anyone that might be interested working on a temporary basis.
To cut a long story short a lad came to see me that had done his part 2 course paid for by Merthyr Council and REACT. I had a chat with him and he seemed to be ideal except he hadn't done his assessment or NVQ.

So he's still a part one.

We contacted the local training centre (they are everywhere these days a bit like Tescos) and asked what it would cost to get him carded.

£1000 + vat was the answer.

Our next call was to REACT to ask them if they were aware that after paying for his training he was still unqualified and has to find another £1200, did they think an unemployed man would be able to afford it from his income support?

So my question is who is the funding for?

For the guy on the dole to give him a chance to provide for his family or the guy in his new Mercedes that runs a surplus to requirements training school?

There is no such thing as government funding it is public funding paid for by the working man who deserves a better deal.

I am sure its a bit of everything its what drives our economy at the moment introduce a course ,tell people they need it, jo goes tro dole office says he needs a qualification,mercedes man cant always fill his boot if no one has money he supplys cheap courses to council who fill his books

I agree Steve but Mercedes man gets rich and the poor f.ucker who did the course is still unemployable as they don't get the NVQ or assessment.

council get another man off dole statistics are better

I understand that swifty but he now has an better oppourtunitie to get work

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

trainer is laughing

It does seem a strange one Swifty, especially at that price. They must think they are the only ones that run an assessment, does that not come in closer to £400?

I think it is getting worse, that's why I try and stick with the apprentice route and feel if everyone did the same this wouldn't happen. A bit ideal I know.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

He's still on the dole as he's not qualified.

Ok for a start under supervision though.

taxpayer money gets saved
12 months on dole 800 a month including housing benefit, jobseeker allowance, council tax benefit
two months on dole 1600 course 1200

It does seem a strange one Swifty, especially at that price. They must think they are the only ones that run an assessment, does that not come in closer to £400?

I think it is getting worse, that's why I try and stick with the apprentice route and feel if everyone did the same this wouldn't happen. A bit ideal I know.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Ok for a start under supervision though.

I'm hoping to take on a 44 yr old apprentice with 20yrs under his belt and an expired ECITB Advanced card. If he passes the interview.

he still on dole because he is selling himself as a scaffolder when he should be selling a labourer .
We all know alot of big companies went for immirgration and trained loads up as they knew there would be a shortage of scaffs, this shortage is starting to get plugged

I'm hoping to take on a 44 yr old apprentice with 20yrs under his belt and an expired ECITB Advanced card. If he passes the interview.

Is Dico finally coming out the stations?:laugh:

He is going to love the 3 week induction course.:eek:

Is there not an age limit to the apprentice scheme?

The thing is Steve he is a scaffolder. Cards don't mean much down this way, a lot of small firms ignore them, they pay for what you can do not what card you have.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Is Dico finally coming out the stations?:laugh:

He is going to love the 3 week induction course.:eek:

Is there not an age limit to the apprentice scheme?

You cannot discriminate where age is concerned it's now illegal.

The thing is Steve he is a scaffolder. Cards don't mean much down this way, a lot of small firms ignore them, they pay for what you can do not what card you have.

That will be one of the things the government are trying to change.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

You cannot discriminate where age is concerned it's now illegal.

It's not discrimination, it's a funding thing. Again it may differ from area to area but up here the funding changes after a certain age. Can't remember exactly what it is but closer to 22 than 42.

Then that sounds like the place to be the good old days were you get paid honest for for an honest days work

Swifty this looks like a course for unemployed called R2R, response to redundancy where it's supposed to get you a career change. European funding and we don't do it as it just gives you a part one to try and get a job. If you are lucky then the train to gain thing will get you a part 2 or your company pay for it. This is the problem with all and sundry drawing down european funding and not knowing how scaffold training works. The full funding these days for training and nvq is around £1200 quid leaving you having to pay for one of the courses. Four years ago it was £1800 covering the lot.

Is a £1000 over the top to get his NVQ and assessment?
How much would they have had for the 2 week course?

Is a £1000 over the top to get his NVQ and assessment?
How much would they have had for the 2 week course?

A part 2 plus assessment is around 1150-1300 dependent where you do it, the r2r funding is around 550-700 I think

Top Bottom