Where do I say NO?

big john

Reaction score
I m so busy it's mental,I'm not goin in at stupid low prices,I'm the same as the rest of the firms around me,
I've already spent 15 grand on gear that I didn't allow for just to keep on erecting jobs and not turn people away,
Do I stop and say no,I can't do it for 6 weeks or do I say yea I'll do it and find the money to buy more?
Cheers john

If you've got the cash buy 2nd hand if not do as Andy suggests. Don't turn work away sub it out if you have to.

the same thing happend to our boss one time pal n he put his price up to cover overtime rates n i can remember him sayin we got a 13ft tower 4 litfts just top lift boarded n gave a quote for £1600just cos we didn't need the work n he got it like he did say to customer it will be alot more than normal as we was snowed under.

Sort a good hire rate out with the hire company's there yards are full of gear

I looked into hiring gear but for ajob I priced at 800 the hire was 1200 with a crazy per day bill after the end of hire date,I would be fooled if the job went over which they quite often do

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

If you've got the cash buy 2nd hand if not do as Andy suggests. Don't turn work away sub it out if you have to.

70% of my gear is second hand, but the firm I get it off can't be trusted to turn up with the gear when I want it,I've had to buy the last lot new purely because they would turn up the next day,with free delivery

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

the same thing happend to our boss one time pal n he put his price up to cover overtime rates n i can remember him sayin we got a 13ft tower 4 litfts just top lift boarded n gave a quote for £1600just cos we didn't need the work n he got it like he did say to customer it will be alot more than normal as we was snowed under.

Ive done that a few times but not got them lol

I looked into hiring gear but for ajob I priced at 800 the hire was 1200 with a crazy per day bill after the end of hire date,I would be fooled if the job went over which they quite often do

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

70% of my gear is second hand, but the firm I get it off can't be trusted to turn up with the gear when I want it,I've had to buy the last lot new purely because they would turn up the next day,with free delivery

How longs the job up for, sounds a lot for the hire bud. I'd check your prices for the hire again fella, you'd be looking around £80 a week for a 14ton mixed load.

How longs the job up for, sounds a lot for the hire bud. I'd check your prices for the hire again fella, you'd be looking around £80 a week for a 14ton mixed load.

Christ,that was DSL prices,that sounds cheap as chips

nice to see you busy if i were you and am not i would use most if not all profit to buy at the end of the day if you ow nothing and your yards full of gear its your at the end of the day so its an asset rent gears no good but if ya sitting there with a full yard and your just ticking over at least everything in your yard is yours and not going to cost you money to have it there other than yard rent but as other have sugested subby it out if poss

nice to see you busy if i were you and am not i would use most if not all profit to buy at the end of the day if you ow nothing and your yards full of gear its your at the end of the day so its an asset rent gears no good but if ya sitting there with a full yard and your just ticking over at least everything in your yard is yours and not going to cost you money to have it there other than yard rent but as other have sugested subby it out if poss

In an ideal world scaff lad, but new gear is fooookin expensive and there's less and less 2nd hand gear about.

Oh yeh, your kid sorted that list out yet??:D

I owe fook loads of money for starting up,that's why I'm starting to get concerned,ever pound I get is goin straight back out on more gear,I didn't think for a minute I would be this busy,I'm not complaining just worried

Looks like you are trying to run before you can walk, you will soon get into trouble, I understand you are a fairly new company and dont want to let folk down but in this day and age it will be you that gets deep in the crap.

Not many company's make a profit in the early days so just build up gradually don't make promises that will cost you dear in the end, seems like you have a good idea of what you are doing, buy what you can comfortably afford and dont go down the hire route just to impress good luck

I am glad Spannerman added a note of caution before me, I hate being the profit of doom.

I was very much in the same position when I started John, said no to nothing and ended up in a bit of a squeeze a few times because of it. I spent years ploughing everything back into the firm without ever looking up or back to see what we had done, also spent a lot hiring just to keep a few customers going rather than impress them as I felt we had to do it all. If I'm honest, I don't think I would do it again if I had a choice given the knowledge I have now as all you really create is a monster that needs constant feeding. My original goal was me my number 2 and a 7.5t truck and when I got that I thought I had hit the big time, I sometimes wish I had left it at that, there is good money to be made at this trade at that level.

I am glad Spannerman added a note of caution before me, I hate being the profit of doom.

I was very much in the same position when I started John, said no to nothing and ended up in a bit of a squeeze a few times because of it. I spent years ploughing everything back into the firm without ever looking up or back to see what we had done, also spent a lot hiring just to keep a few customers going rather than impress them as I felt we had to do it all. If I'm honest, I don't think I would do it again if I had a choice given the knowledge I have now as all you really create is a monster that needs constant feeding. My original goal was me my number 2 and a 7.5t truck and when I got that I thought I had hit the big time, I sometimes wish I had left it at that, there is good money to be made at this trade at that level.

My thought's exactly aom,but having said that,we're still here feeding the monster lol;)

I m so busy it's mental,I'm not goin in at stupid low prices,I'm the same as the rest of the firms around me,
I've already spent 15 grand on gear that I didn't allow for just to keep on erecting jobs and not turn people away,
Do I stop and say no,I can't do it for 6 weeks or do I say yea I'll do it and find the money to buy more?
Cheers john

Big John, try TRAD in West Bromwich. There pretty good and you can barter with them. As for a girl called Emma. She very good. Deliver National too. Good luck.

Cheers john

cash flow cash flow cash flow

major concern

My thought's exactly aom,but having said that,we're still here feeding the monster lol;)

Yeah, talk is cheap for sure. Would we really do it different, don't know, I'm only a hairs breath from world domination. Well, my world.:cool:

Just wanted to say, well done in making that leap of faith. Listen to all the sound advice and steer steady. No one likes to turn business away but if you get a rep for being honest and reliable, people will be prepared to wait rather than use some "cowboy" outfit.

Just price your jobs higher an if you still win contracts then you will have the extra money to buy the extra gear and if you don't win them then you didn't have to say no it's win win for you

Top Bottom