What's the difference

scaffman1

Reaction score
Got asked this afternoon if we can supply a customer with a fire escape at the end of a double stacked set of office cabins (on a site, no access for the public)
I suggested they use the haki stair tower that we have in stock.

Does this require a design of any sort.? (I was asked for one for the haki system) All I can find is the instruction manual for it.

Is there a stair tower out there that is designed as a fire escape?

If its good enough to walk up,must be the same for coming down.

as its system it comes with the manufacturers guide,so should'nt need a design,but i've just been asked for a design for the ties on a 23m high stairtower,so there are design issues with these stair towers,as its a fire escape you might be better to get a design anyway,at least you would be covered

i would not like to say cause if there was a fire you would have a lot of pepole trying to get down it at the same time all that weight on it in 1 go, but can not see that many pepole being in a portocabin lol

;)I'd design it to collapse soon as those fat basstids ran down it.

Done a couple of fire escapes on a 2 storey oap home recently and we had to use lahyer public acsess stairtowers,these are much higher spec,but the building was live

The stair would need a design as a fire escape.
There are different criteria for fire escape than there are for general access stairs.
There is a minimum width for the treads, minimum and maximum goings and risers sizes etc.
The man to ask with regards the Haki unit is Ken Barber there is no one knows more about this system than he (that is not to say he will know the requirements for a fire escape that is not his end of the marke)t. He will however tell you everything about Haki.
Regards Alan

Providing its not for public access, just for the site staff, the haki stair would be ok, the only thing you may need to do is, if its adjacent to anything you will need to clad it with fire retardent sheeting:idea:not fixed with rubber bands:eek:

The Haki stair unit is not rated as suitable for a fire escape, the stair tread width is around 750 wide. Fire escapes are normally 1.0m wide however this is determined by local regulations and not scaffold regulations. A fire escape is a fire escape be it for public or site personell.

The above being said the you would need to check with the local council for their requirements.

It is somewhat unusual to be asked for a fire escape on a site cabin layout. I have encountered this but only on a large site office complex.
regards
Alan

The Haki stair unit is not rated as suitable for a fire escape, the stair tread width is around 750 wide. Fire escapes are normally 1.0m wide however this is determined by local regulations and not scaffold regulations. A fire escape is a fire escape be it for public or site personell.

The above being said the you would need to check with the local council for their requirements.

It is somewhat unusual to be asked for a fire escape on a site cabin layout. I have encountered this but only on a large site office complex.
regards
Alan

Cheers Alan,

They do have two rows of ten cabins on top of each other on this site and I've been asking around today with regards to the regulations on a fire escape,and as far as I can make out it is up to the site H & S officer to interpret the regulations as he thinks fit.
Personally I think they would be better off getting a purpose made set of stairs for the job,but if they want to pay me for a stair tower for a couple of years, who am I to argue with them eh.

Scaffman, your local fire brigade (Offcer) may be able to give you good advice on this. Worth a phone call,

We do a staircase for a major access on all out pipe racks and major structures with T&F not using any stairthreads...........I dont think this needs a design does it? well by the book it should do, but we dont get one...i must say its a great way of doing stairs....havent seen it done this way before....

Top Bottom