What's the difference between pressed and forged fittings?

Pressed are cold pressed into shape from a single piece of material and the forged are formed using heat.

Pressed are cold pressed into shape from a single piece of material and the forged are formed using heat.

Thanks dude.

Which do you think is stronger? I'm looking to make a power cage for myself.

Everyone has his own preference. I don't like the forged, especially when new as the T bolt can twist and when you think it's tight all it takes is a knock and it's lying at your feet. Pressed steel for me but you will no doubt get the usual ream of replies telling you to get Mill's.

What's a power cage?

Pressed do sound the better option if they haven't been heated. But then I don't have much of an idea!

A power cage is for weightlifting. I'm looking to make one similar to this:

dsc00207.jpg

Looks like stickies to me, pressed steel would do the job perfect.

Thanks again dude!

Any idea for places to buy scaffold in the UK? I've seen a couple of sites, but dunno if they're any good.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

@fat boy: Do you mean swivel?

Don't go near a supplier, too expensive. Any builder or roofer will have more than that lying at the back of the yard rusting away, try them first. The fitting type won't matter much.

forged... molton steel poured into molds
pressed... + shape steel, big fcuk off hammer smashes it into the shape you see

forged are stronger and don't damage as easily as pressed.
many sites have banned pressed forged fittings

then again.. these days all fittings are made by chinks and pakis and do not come close to old british steel.

if you can get your hands on the daddy double, SGB MK3.. that is a meaty beast!

Last edited:
Never heard of any sites banning any fitting Longun, any examples?

Drop forged all the way for me. Ive seen plenty of pressed steel fail but never a dropped forged.

A power cage is for weightlifting. I'm looking to make one similar to this:

dsc00207.jpg

A trip to argos might be better for you mate...

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Never heard of any sites banning any fitting Longun, any examples?

big tower block for the mod.. no pressed forged as they did not like them
have had it on some station jobs as well.. mostly the big boys who can wave their safey wand.

I suppose they don't like "nippers".. you can do a sticky up hand tight and it wont slip, where as a forged double needs a good spin.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear that, the usual scramble for the high moral ground all desperate to ban something, anything will do, looks good on the paper work. Don't think it would work in general though, most of the college grads I have met working for the big boys couldn't spell sticky.

Drop Forged are definitely the better fitting if they were made in UK and the T Bolt did not stick, as opposed to the cheap foreign imports.

A good example is the Little Giant, that was made by Burtons.

Of the pressed steel, the Sticky Willie made by Boulton is probably one of the best and been around longest.

Little giants ... Great beam clamps anall lol . Pressed steel got pulld on the chp plant once one failed on site so they all got changed on the chp plant as well as site 07 batch i think it was but when a couple of lads from site came over the weekend it was the fordged doubble that they all changed so fek knows lol band and plate lol

Ones gold and the other is silver !!

Top Bottom