What out its Big Brother

HatterScaff

Reaction score
Its not only big brother thats keeping an eye on you

Now its feckin joe public!

Safety warning for Brighton scaffolding firm (From The Argus)

All scaffolders need a head for heights.

But according to the Health and Safety Executive these workmen in Brighton should also have had a rail or harness to stop them plunging to the shopping street below.

The team from Pavilion Scaffolding were working at Mitre House, Western Road, when a reader videoed them lifting a pole six storeys and attaching it to their scaffolding.

The reader contacted the Argus, who passed the footage to the HSE, which acts as the watchdog for workplace safety.

Its inspectors confronted the firm’s bosses with the video and warned them they could face action if they are caught out again.

They have sent them an official letter.

The men were working at about noon on Tuesday (August 28) when they were spotted.

After viewing the footage a HSE inspector told The Argus the man at the bottom of the images should have been wearing a hard hat.

But his biggest concern was for the men at the top.

No safety harness

One man is seen receiving a pole on a gin wheel, then walking several yards with it before attaching it to the top of the construction.

According to the HSE the company should have put up a guard rail as soon as it built that level or “lift” – and without a guard rail the company should have given the workers safety harnesses to wear.

Those measures are recommended to comply with the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

Kevin Herriott, of Pavilion Scaffolding, which is based in Kemp Town Place, Brighton, said: “You could probably go around Brighton today and see 40 different companies doing the same thing.

“Our supervisor has dealt with it with the HSE.

“One of the chaps had just forgotten to put [a harness] on.

“We work to it [the HSE guidelines] 100%.

The HSE confirmed it had contacted the company.

A spokesman for the HSE said: “The incident has been marked against the company’s record but that is as far as it will go this time.

“If a similar matter is raised against the company in the future further action may well be taken and this incident will be taken into account.”

The agency thanked The Argus for the footage and urged people who wish to report possible health and safety breaches to take photo or video footage to substantiate their complaints.

that is right in the middle of the town centre ..... no segregation from the public an accident waiting to happen i think ............

i scaffolded that b4 for gkn and even then it was sunday work ( no shops open in them days )

thats why i wouldn't do street work again .....

they didnt touch on the certificate for the rope and the wheel

still i expect kevin was upset by the letter he received and it will not happen any more

What a load of **** it's bad enough on site these day but out in sum village an watching ur bk cause do gooders soon wel all be wrapped in cotton wool

What happened to real scaffs,load of bollox why cant we be left alone to do our job its hard enuf to earn a living as it is

They shouldnt have put themselves in that predicament in the first place.
Doing that in the middle of a town centre is asking for it.
It gives gutter rags like the Argus, who seem to have nothing better to do but tell little tales, ammunition.

Watch the video where the fella on the rope climbs up the sway ....,,

It's every lift boarded It would be common sense to put your hand rail on as you go ? Or are they proper scaffs , old school , they way it was ?

It's all changed now for the better I believe ... I know plenty of stuff is ott but the chap should put his handrail on first that's what I call good scaffolding

If the suporvisor was supervising he would have pulled the two scaffolders about it and sorted it there and then , no one likes wear ppe but if you dont change with the times you aint going to last very long

All it takes is a bit of common sense to work safely, health and safety is as and when it suits i'm afraid. Health and safety come on to our sites every couple of weeks and there only interested in what they find on the day, makes me sick. Cant wait for my next red card from Kier, thats me banned from Kier sites for life then lol!!

How can a scaffolder just forget to put his harness on? It law and all the employer could say is what about so and so GROW UP and start complying.

Remember the young scaffolder a couple of months a go who forgot to wear his harness and now is DEAD. The problem is some people have short memories put very quick to post R.I.P just to get there post count up.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Roger because you have not been thanked in any of your post tells me that the you are a brainless person. Next

Remember the young scaffolder a couple of months a go who forgot to wear his harness and now is DEAD. The problem is some people have short memories put very quick to post R.I.P just to get there post count up.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Roger because you have not been thanked in any of your post tells me that the you are a brainless person. Next

surely the number or preaseance of thanks under somebodys posts won't define their intelligence instructor?????

I must say you are right celtichboy and i was wrong with that statement. Roger is just a tosser would have been a better reply.

Top Bottom