What is the most stair treads have you put into a single stringer

aussiebob

Reaction score
Hi Lad's and Lassie's can't leave them out now can we:love:
Ok, on a job at the moment where the Foreman is making up stairs using ladder beams for stringers with up to 32 treads in it. I have informed that under building regs, you must have a landing every 12 foot or 16 treads.

Am I right in saying, if someone takes a tumble down these stairs he /we would get the book thrown at us or am I wrong and talking a load of ********.

Your opinions would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

sorry, that should have read " I have informed the Foreman"

I'm sure it's only a maximum of 13 treads before you have to have a landing, and if i remember correctly there must be a 90 degree turn, as i was advised by a very knowledgeable engineer in the UAE,

Thanks for the replies, the Building Regs say 12ft or 16 treads at the most this covers all stairs, there are different size's of treads.

The turn is right albeit after two flights of 16 straight down with one landing, the next landing has to have a turn.

He who dares wins, the stairs are made up of ladder beams spliced together and laid onto a slop into a dig. Long way to fall if someone trips me thinks.

Building Regulations for Staircases in England & Wales
Please find some notes from Approved Document K of the Building Regulations 1992:

Stairs, Ramps and Guards gives provisions for stairways in the design and building of stairways which form part of the structure and guidance on the aspects of geometry and guarding of stairs.

BS585 Part 1 1989: Woodstairs covers specifications for stairs with closed risers for domestic use, including straight and winder flights and quarter or half landings. Appendix A of this standard also details the recommendations for the site fixing of stairs.
BS5395 Part 1 1977: Stairs, Ladders and Walkways covers the design of straight stairs.
BS6180 1982: Code of practice for protective barriers in and about buildings.

DEFINITIONS
Private stairs intended to be used for only one dwelling with a maximum rise of 220mm and a minimum going of 220mm. A maximum pitch of 42° is stipulated for domestic stairs.

Institutional and assembly stairs serving a place where a substantial number of people will gather, with a maximum rise of 150mm and a minimum going of 280mm.

Other stairs covers all other types of buildings, with a maximum rise of 190mm and a minimum going of 250mm.

The normal relationship between the dimensions of the rise and going can be expressed as detailed in Approved Document K, which states that twice the rise plus the going (2R+G) should be between 550mm and 700mm.

Pitch the angle between the pitch line (notional line connecting nosings) and the horizontal. The maximum pitch for domestic stairs is 42°, semi-public stairs, eg factories, offices and common stairs serving more than one dwelling, 38° and public stairs, eg places of public assembly, 33°.

Height of handrails Approved Document K states that flights should have a handrail on at least one side if they are less than one metre wide and on both sides if they are wider than one metre. There is no need for handrails beside the bottom two steps of a stairway. Minimum domestic handrail heights of 900mm for both stairs and landings, public handrail heights should be a minimum of 900mm on stairs and 1100mm on landings.

It is also a Building Regulations requirement that no openings in any balustrading should allow the passage of a 100mm sphere.

Please note this is not a full representation of the building regulations on staircases and Stairplan take no responsability for any staircases manufactured by any other staircase manufacturer or joiner.

custom to suit if you have no room for landing the most i have gone is 15 although i would love to see them implement these regs on the pyramids in eygpt lol

I'm sure there's plenty of Scaffs on this forum that would love to build a stair case on a Pyramid, but count me out:cry: I've done my fare share of humping and pulling gear up heights, leave that fecking crap for the young guns :D

reguardless of what else you're told they are a desighn and you will need a dwg and calcs we have a couple of generic dwrgs 1 for a straight flight that has a max of 15 treddas , the other for a tower,
most off us have put them up for years without the need for a drwg but in this blame culture of today always pays to be safe,although as most will also appreiciate its not always practical or possible to get them when you want them

Hi Southern, I will have to tell the Foreman in the morning he's running the gauntlet by putting so many treads into a single flight. This is a high profile project and I can't believe the safety guys have not picked up on it, the dicks walk up and down them most days. The Foreman is a nice guy so I don't want to go over his head or cause him any grief, however, if he ignors what I'm saying to him, should I just turn a blind eye or should I go over his head. what do guys think.

I always thought it was 13 just like a normal house is 13 before you get a landing

depends on your dwg essex ,dont forget we put in a "temp structure" where as the proper one the chippies leave behind is subject to many differnt building regs

Hi essex, how do you download documents or links onto this site. I will post a copy of the building regs for your perusal, a bit boring I know.

Except on a combi stairs system where the most you can have is 24, 2 12 tread combis together,

On my last job the project manager asked me to join 4 x 12 tread combis together, so I refused, we had a row and I told him to poke his job, no being told by a few pals (chippys) on there another scaffolder put 4 together this being a 30ft hole in the ground from a concrete capping beam entrance for piling, and a independent safety man visited that site a few days after it was put in, condemening the stairs as it wasn't to combi manufactining regs ha.

aussie- its a hard one to bite ur lip i know and its a toss up between be thought of as a trouble maker or a know it all, thing is in my experiance shiit has a habit of rolling down hill and stopping at the scaffolders door - if you know its wrong , unsafe and potentially a danger then under hse guidlines your bound by law to report it, how much of a fuss u make is down to you, maybe just logde your concerns with the boss that you know it should be a drawing job, the onus is then down to him , HSE had a habit of pulling all our strcse jobs ,wanting to see a dwg so now i laminate a A5 copy and zippietie it along side the special desighn scafftag

Last edited:
tell him your the scaff and this is how it is, our chippies cant work on floors with a fall of more than 600mm it turns out so i have told the foreman when they are in the trusses they should have a platform up there too he shrugged his shoulders, it does annoy you when they dont listen but at least i have told him the concerns. i hate doubled birdcages but the boss is laughing with all the extra cash. I cant wait to tell him about the window fitters the sills are only 650mm from the floor he could fall at any time again no harness or fall protection.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

You can see why fall from height statistics are so high not so many scaffs falling its the other numpties

Cheers for the replies, I think I will tell once more in the morning and give him a copy the Building regs I think I've then done my bit. It's up to him what he does with the info. As said he is nice guy and I don't want to cause him any grief as I think these stairs are his idea.

Thanks fellas for your advise nice one.

Top Bottom