What is a SSMTS card ???

andyf8686

Reaction score
What the Fuckkk is a SSMTS card ??????????????
Just had a call for a site managers job and they have asked for a SSMTS card ??/:mad:

Is this more fuckinnngg money

Its the upgrade of the SSSTS card - the Supervisors one.
The SMSTS is basically the Managers one.

But yes. More f.ucking money...
Not exactly what it stands for mind. Gooooooooooooogle it.

Just spoke to the CITB and if you have scaffold supervisor and a IOSH its a higher quol and there is no card
What the ****

Site Management Safety Training Scheme.

It's a 5 day course that can be done over a week, or a day a week over 5 weeks.

I don't know many managers on the construction/scaffolding side of things that aren't SMSTS - a lot of high-end contractors, Lend Lease, Carillion etc will expect sub contract managers to have SMSTS.

I've done it and it's quite informative.

Site Management Safety Training Scheme.

It's a 5 day course that can be done over a week, or a day a week over 5 weeks.

I don't know many managers on the construction/scaffolding side of things that aren't SMSTS - a lot of high-end contractors, Lend Lease, Carillion etc will expect sub contract managers to have SMSTS.

I've done it and it's quite informative.

Your right Phil it is informative.

And this is nothing like as easy as the scaffolding course that a trained dog could pass,
as pleanty of people fail this one if they are not up to standard and you only get one resit if im not mistaken:cry:

To be honest the course is quite challenging. When they give you that mock test paper on the first day and you get sh1tloads wrong it makes you realise that you need to stay alert for the next 5 days as there's no way you'd blag your way through just by going through the motions, like you usually do on most other courses.

Find a training courses in with Envico

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

SMSTS Training
Site Management Safety Training Scheme Course

Important Course Information
Who is the
course for? Site Supervisors, Project Managers, Site Managers, Supervisors, as well as proprietors of small to medium sized companies.
Course Duration 5 Days
Qualification CITB - Construction Skills Site Safety Plus Certificate.
Accredited by Construction Skills

The CITB Site Safety Plus SMSTS - Site Management Safety Training Scheme (5 Day) course

Client-based personnel would also benefit from attending the course. For site managers, this qualification is listed in the Approved Code of Practice for the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM) as evidence of meeting the required standard of competence.

SMSTS - Site Management Safety Training Scheme course Course Aims
To give an understanding of delegates responsibilities and accountability for site safety, health and welfare, current health and safety legislation. This industry-recognised course is ideal for companies who need to meet the ever-increasing demand for evidence of sound health and safety management on site.

SMSTS - Site Management Safety Training Scheme course Course Content

The Health and Safety at Work Act
CDM Regulations 2007
Site set-up
Risk assessments/method statements
Working at height
Scaffolding
Electricity
Excavations
Demolition
Confined spaces
Recent changes in accepted working practices

Got to be honest and say I thought it was no different to any other course I have ever done. I did get something out it but that was more to do with finally making a connection with the instructor on the final day after fighting with him for most off the previous 4 days. He supplied me with most of my paper work I now use on a daily basis.

that funny you say that as its an entry level into assist managing and unless it an cardboard cut out company you need this to join any PC or even to work with the big boyz now
so to run a site as a forman scaff its min sssts or supervisor gold card or advance gold card. Six chargehands on the company i am on for only have part2 as advance is too costly and time consuming its sssts to show you can follow instruction's tidy up after yourself.

Dead right Steveo,gaining any of these tickets at least shows ambition to move on.

I was referring to the smst. Where a good knowledge and experience in all aspects of building trade would be required to get on as a site manager.

my site manager is 30 years old running a 65 million pound project he has no trade started in the stores after he bunked out of uni. You need confidence and ambition.
all a manager does is reads the task form show people where to work. make sure they follow there method statment report to contract manager

Generally,Steveo,theres a lot more to running a site than approving risk assesments and method statements. Smsts is a recent ticket to do with health and saftey requirements, Ive been site managing for 20 years. Most site managers I know come from a chippy or brickie background.

Again from my limited experience, anyone who is running a large site without coming from a trades background will get the backside seriously ripped out of him. The college graduate is a fine addition to massage his ego and fetch the tea, maybe even cover the inductions if it makes him feel important. I think I was the only non office based operative on the course and every one of them did jack with their certificate.

i did my smsts got the cert then found out the certs not much good to you
so had to do nvq 3 to get the gold card more money

Correct Tim. everyone is so intent on getting the cards,as you rightly point out, you will need an nvq qualification on job applications,unless you can provide top references. I think it works equally in reverse as well.

probably a stupid question but arent all advanced cards gold ,just someone posted needed to do nvq 3 to get one

Yeah they are all gold allan but so are the supervisor cards.

Top Bottom