what are the leading edge erectors using for 100% tie off.

triple g scaffold

Reaction score
what are you leading edge scaffold erectors using for 100% fall protection (tie off). In the state of massachusetts all federal funded and state funded jobs require 100% tie off. Just came back from the world of concrete show in las vegas hoping to have some answers and got nothing. i know osha is going to man date this soon enough. so i was hoping some one here would have the answer im looking for.

thanks
rob

I'm not completely sure I understand exactly what you mean by "tie off" but there are now loads of systems out there for leading edge protection. I'm struggling to remember the one I have used but combi-safe do something similar hopefully someone else can post a link as I promised Paddy I wouldn't try it again. If it's fixing into concrete your after the excalibur self tapping bolt takes a bit of beating but again there are a few variations. If it's none of these your after accept my apologies and put it down to dealing with the scaffs.:D

Hello triple g, are you referring to the combi safe edge protection or K guard edge protection?

In my usage of these products I have always used a lanyard with appropriate fixing to wrap around the concrete pillar or just used an inertia reel until adequate Handrail/ Combisafe is erected.

Temporary Edge Protection Systems | Combisafe
The world leaders in edge protection - KGuard | Edge protection systems and fall prevention products*
http://www.liftingsafety.co.uk/cate...-fall-arrester-block-upto-40-metres-1032.html

Thanks VLLB never really read that one right. What about that contraption that looks like a big hat stand that can take a couple of scaff hooks, you some times see them for working of the back of a truck as well.

What I am asking is, when the lead erector is puttin together a row of frames there isn't any guardrailing, or proper 100% tie off. You can use the drop lines with a rope grab but then becomes a trip hazard and when ur walking down the scaffolding the rope starts coming off the ground. U can also use the anchors that go into the building but that limits u on how far u go. I'm looking for a system my lead erector can tie off too and put up a row of frames and not slow production.

Welcome to our world, this has been the source of much debate on this forum for a while. I am not entirely aware of American technique erecting frames but over here it has become fairly common to use a step up device to fit a guard rail from below so the erector is always behind the guard rail, or some sort of advanced guard rail system of which there are many. I suspect none of these would lend it's self to your system of work but if you google "combi-safe" and search for the step up device or "B-Safe" for a look at an advanced rail you slide up from below, there is also lots of posts and links on here if you take the time to search. As for not slowing production, well if you find it let us know.:D

What I am asking is, when the lead erector is puttin together a row of frames there isn't any guardrailing, or proper 100% tie off. You can use the drop lines with a rope grab but then becomes a trip hazard and when ur walking down the scaffolding the rope starts coming off the ground. U can also use the anchors that go into the building but that limits u on how far u go. I'm looking for a system my lead erector can tie off too and put up a row of frames and not slow production.

I'm sorry but there's no way I would be using those anchors that go into the building to tie off onto, they are like curtain hooks. I used them in Whiterock BC and I didn't trust them one bit.

This is what we use here mate to get along where there is no tie off point without using an inertia reel.

Ridgegear 20m Tempory Web Lifeline Kit with FREE DELIVERY - RidgeGear RGHL1-20 from atSite.co.uk

Hope this helps.

It's attatched at 2 fixed points with a double 'clamp'

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Welcome to our world, this has been the source of much debate on this forum for a while. I am not entirely aware of American technique erecting frames but over here it has become fairly common to use a step up device to fit a guard rail from below so the erector is always behind the guard rail, or some sort of advanced guard rail system of which there are many. I suspect none of these would lend it's self to your system of work but if you google "combi-safe" and search for the step up device or "B-Safe" for a look at an advanced rail you slide up from below, there is also lots of posts and links on here if you take the time to search. As for not slowing production, well if you find it let us know.:D

The frames are well fast aom but it's like yellow jelly, shakes like fu.ck

Haha, thought so. Thanks for adding the link, I cant be bothered even trying anymore.:cool: Have you used that ratchet before and was it any good?

Yeah used it a few times, ratchet it til it bends the standards hahaha. I first used them on a Taylor Woodrow site in Leeds back in 2005. Grown used to them now. Not a bad piece of kit mind.

Top Bottom