wagon

davy s

Reaction score
Just starting up an need some help lads. Anyone got any idea bout keeping the wagon maintaned - been told we need to keep logs and get serviced regular and that we need to keep paperwork but what paperwork do we need to keep?

I know absolutely nothing about running my own firm, but if i was you - regular services and keeping as much paperwork as possible, like Taco-Graphs and Tax stuff regarding the Lorry can only be a good thing.

The way Health and Safety is nowadays they will look into every nook and cranny if anything was to go wrong.

But im sure the others here will help you and give you more info than i can.

you need to make sure you have your operator licence to run your lorry first ( when you apply make sure you put down more lorries than you think, will save you money when you get bigger ) vosa will tell you how many weeks you can go with out maintenance check should be around 10-12 weeks, also inspection sheets to be filled out every morning as well as tacho.

As stated you will need a Operators licence. You should contact your VOSA area office and they will give you the info you need. You will have to take out an advert in the local paper (To your yard) to make people aware that you are applying to operate vehicles from the premises.

As far as I am aware you also have to have a contract in place with your mechanic/garage etc... stating that your vehicle(s) will be recieving regular maintenence which you should agree with VOSA (At worst I think it is every 6 weeks but if you don't do alot of kms you may be able to stretch this out to 10-12 weeks.) You have to keep daily inspections which the driver of the wagon must sign but tacho's are not required if you do not travel further than a 50km (31mile) radius from your yard.

wagon maintainance will be every 8 wks approx ( Records )
need vehicle inspection ( drivers ) everyday ( Records )
Vosa likes you to have a wall mounted year planner aswell with service dates, tax disc renewal date, insurance renewal date , MOT due date and anything else marked on it .

operators license is a ball ache sometimes.

Get ready to spend some money getting that OL pal. Dont want to put a downer on it but it cost a fair whack just to apply and then your advert. Hope all goes well.

And dont forget that VOSA want to see x amount of money in your bank account to prove you can afford to maintain your lorry

From the horse’s mouth

“The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) provides a range of licensing, testing and enforcement services with the aim of improving the roadworthiness standards of vehicles ensuring the compliance of operators and drivers, and supporting the independent Traffic Commissioners. “

VOSA Corporate Website

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A Middlesex coach company has been fined £137,500 after being found guilty of abusing drivers’ hour’s regulations.

Following an investigation in October and November 2010 by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), BM Coach and Rental Limited, based at Silverdale Road in Hayes, were found guilty of 131 drivers’ hours offences at Uxbridge Magistrates Court.

The company received fines totalling £137, 500 with an additional £35,000 being payable in costs..

The investigation of drivers’ hours covered the period of June 28 to August 8 2010. In addition, 27 of the firm’s drivers pleaded guilty to various drivers’ hour’s breaches, receiving fines totalling £7,228 plus £2,700 costs.

Last edited:
And dont forget that VOSA want to see x amount of money in your bank account to prove you can afford to maintain your lorry

im sure it is at least a min of £12k to make sure you have everything covered in case the lorry breaks, etc

Last edited:
£2500-00 per vehicle I think it is bud, you can get by this if you got insufficent funds in bank , or like us we hadnt started trading, by applying for new credit card specifically for emergency repairs or maintainance of vehicles, and using that as credit will help get you an OP if needed.

£2500-00 per vehicle I think it is bud, you can get by this if you got insufficent funds in bank , or like us we hadnt started trading, by applying for new credit card specifically for emergency repairs or maintainance of vehicles, and using that as credit will help get you an OP if needed.

yes his is right as long as you have the funds there this can be on a credit card, if you are only carrying your own gear you only need a restricted ol and i thick it is a bit cheeper and easyer to get, it cost about 300, to 400 hundred to put in paper, costs as much getting this all set up as buyin a half decent truck sometimes mate

Thanks to everyone for this info Thought the hard bit to get up an running on your own was finding regular work. Seems like you need a bit of paper for everything

I think 'He' is harder...

c6643148_FatUglyPig.png

The HSE should make all that hes wearing as the 2012 Mandatory PPE. :D

I would say davy s, don't be too despondent as once it is done the major pain is behind you as long as you have a good fitter to do what you say you are going to do when you said you were going to do it. If memory serves, you call the inspection times which for us is 10 weeks and you will be given a free run on this until you are caught on the road in an unworthy state then your real problems begin with vosa then dictating terms which may be prohibitive. The trucks are a problem but obviously necessary to our trade, I would advise to buy as good a truck as you can afford and hopefully you won't end up shelling out too much to a fitter. Have you factored in the 35 hour driver training?

davy s

a lot of good advise being given and all of it is good.
do not under any circumstances ignore vosa if you do and you get caught they will make your life a misery. make sure any yard you get is in a commercial district as no one will complain about lorries being parked up. dont let anyone take them home you would be amazed how many people complain about lorries parked in residential areas.

and try not to look at jasons latest self pic above, thats guaranteed to give everyone sleepless nights.

Top Bottom