Wages....Duties...

Rigger

Reaction score
I have copied the list below from an Ad in the jobs section as I believe it to be a good overview of what an employer will expect from a new recruit intending to become a scaffolder.

Responsibilities

•Loading and unloading of vehicles

•Ability to identify any defective component and remove from service immediately

•Assisting in the servicing of equipment, stacking and storing

•Ensuring that equipment and vehicles are always in a clean and tidy condition

•Understanding and co-operating in all Health & Safety matters

•Selecting the correct materials and assisting the scaffolders on site

Apprentices will report directly to a Senior Manager during the initial 6 months and to a Supervisor /Chargehand/Scaffolder for the remainder of the training period.

•Good basic arithmetic, written and communication skills

•Self-discipline & commitment to team work

•Confidence & willingness to ask questions

•Must be physically fit

•Be totally comfortable with working at height

•Ability & willingness to use own initiative, adopt an industrious, but compliant approach to all tasks

Unfortunately the advertiser is expecting a lot to say the least from the wages he is offering …………………..

1st year £170 per 40 hour week (£4.25 per hour)
2nd year £230 per 40 hour week (£5.75 per hour)
3rd year £270 per 40 hour week (£6.75 per hour)

I am interested in what you would consider a fair and proper wage for a 40 hour week for a person starting from scratch with your company, bearing in mind that you will pay for their training and wages while they are attending courses.

For myself I would be thinking of something along the lines of

1st year min £280 per 40 hour week (£7per hour)
2nd year min £360 per 40 hour week (£9 per hour)
3rd year min £480 per 40 hour week (£12 per hour)

I would review the lads commitment and progress every three month and increase his wages in relevance to his learning and value to the company.

Last edited:
Rigger av been in it 4 years u cna give me £15 c ya in the m,orning lol yeha soudns liek agood start that marra if you think ofapprentice in other trade 80 rising to 1`50 in 3 yr

4.25 per hour first year ?
Is that legal ? I thought there was a minimum wage ?
Or does that not apply to an apprentice

I reckon first year should be minimum wage Hourly rate

**** me i started £25 a day. Is that legal hahaha???

i started on 26 pound a week with Foster Wheelers in the power station, was a while ago remember lol.

£6.00 a week as a 16 year old with Mills Scaffolding Bradford in 1964, and that was £3.00 a week more than apprentices were getting, great money felt like a millionaire every weekend

and that was legal LOL

£6.00 a week as a 16 year old with Mills Scaffolding Bradford in 1964, and that was £3.00 a week more than apprentices were getting, great money felt like a millionaire every weekend

and that was legal LOL

every penny earned and deserved a bet too mate,£35(a think)per week at bircham newton got to be worst 8months of my life just didnt like the place one bit.

every penny earned and deserved a bet too mate,£35(a think)per week at bircham newton got to be worst 8months of my life just didnt like the place one bit.

CB brand new 3 bedroom house in 1968 cost 5k mind you wages were only about £25.00 a week, bring back the bad old days LOL

Obviously I'm talking about now and commenting on Teesides post/amounts !

Yes Celtic I was on £35 a week at Bircham too (92-93) but that was whilst training and not really work. 1st year actual work I think was £3.50 an hour roughly I think with £1 an hour attendance bonus for full week + travel.

When I first started I was on £20 a day 12-14 shifts but I'm not complaining got a trade out of it newbies these days wouldn't of lasted the day out back then

That is the agreed apprentice rates but as you say Rigger I do start them on £7 but for that they work the hours that I need them and graft like they have never grafted before. I am also in agreement that the wage should go up in line with value rather than cards, I base it more on initiative and work ethic rather than qualification. I also have to make it difficult for them to get a higher paid job in the City which is probably the hardest thing but no one has left yet.;)

We seem to be of a mind aom a half decent starting wage and work the feckers, this is scaffolding as I know it, a hard job both on the mind and body.

Loyalty of your men is something that cannot be controlled, you will always get the lads who jump ship for a few quid more in the short term and miss the bigger picture.

I do hope to keep a hold of what I have Rigger but couldn't blame them if they chased the cash as it is what I did myself and probably what most of us have done at one time or another. I have not long started a young gun who chased me for a start for about a year but as he had a nice comfy in door job I never took him on as I just wasn't convinced he would cut it. Whilst it is still early days he has taken to it the best of the lot, enjoy's it and keeps his mouth shut which is a pleasant change from the last one. He starts going to college in October so hopefully another good hand will come of the Aom production line.;)

Top Bottom